sabudana thalipeeth recipe with step by step photos. sabudana thalipeeth are crisp and soft pancakes made with tapioca pearls, mashed potatoes, ground peanuts and spices.
i made these sabudana thalipeeth instead of sabudana vada as i did not want any deep fried stuff. sabudana thalipeeth is a light snack and ideal for people who are fasting.
the way to make the mixture is same as sabudana vada. these also can be called as sabudana roti. you can make sabudana vadas or sabudana thalipeeth from the same mixture.
serve the sabudana thalipeeth with any falahari chutney or raita. i served with dahi aloo and tamarind dates chutney. the dahi wale aloo were made with cashew yogurt.
if you are looking for more navratri fasting recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR sabudana thalipeeth
- ⅔ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 2 medium or large potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 4 tablespoon peanuts, roasted and coarsely ground (moongphali)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped or grated (adrak)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar or add as required
- rock salt (sendha namak) as required
- peanut oil or ghee as required for frying
HOW TO MAKE sabudana thalipeeth
preparation to make sabudana thalipeeth
- pick and rinse the sabudana well till you get transparent water when rinsing.
- soak them overnight in enough water.
- the next day, drain them really well.
- make sure there is no moisture in them.
making sabudana thalipeeth
- add the mashed potatoes and all the ingredients to the soaked sabudana. mix well.
- heat a non stick frying pan.
- spread 1 or 2 teaspoon of peanut oil or ghee on the pan.
- apply some oil on your palms.
- take some portion from the mixture and flatten it with your palms.
- you can also flatten on a ziplock bag. i find it easier to flatten with my palms.
- place the flattened round (thalipeeth) on the frying pan.
- fry till both sides are golden brown and crisp. repeat.
- if you have a large pan, you can cook 2-3 thalipeeths at the same time.
- serve sabudana thalipeeth with a phalahari chutney or raita.
preparation to make sabudana thalipeeth recipe
1. pick and rinse ⅔ cup sabudana well, till you get transparent water when rinsing. soak them overnight in enough water.
2. the next day, drain them really well. make sure there is no moisture in them.
3. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making sabudana thalipeeth.
making sabudana thalipeeth mixture
4. add 2 large or medium sized boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes to the soaked sabudana.
5. next add 1 teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ inch finely chopped ginger and sendha namak (rock salt) as required.
6. also add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves and 4 tablespoons coarsely ground roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali).
7. finally add 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
8. mix well.
making sabudana thalipeeth
9. apply some peanut oil on your palms. take some portion from the mixture and begin to flatten it with your palms to a round shape. you can also flatten on a ziplock bag. i find it easier to flatten with my palms.
10. heat a non stick frying pan. spread 1 or 2 teaspoon of peanut oil or ghee on the pan.
11. place the flattened round (thalipeeth) on the frying pan.
12. fry till both sides are golden brown and crisp.
13. flip other side and fry till golden brown.
14. if you have a large pan, you can cook 2-3 sabudana thalipeeth at the same time.
15. repeat and similarly fry the rest of thalipeeth.
serve sabudana thalipeeth with a phalahari chutney or raita.