Soft, light and spongy which is everything a cooker cake should be! This decadent eggless cooker cake recipe is easy to make and can be prepared in a stove-top pressure cooker. Serve it as a dessert and feel free to frost the sponge cake with any icing of your choice.
Table of Contents
About Cooker Cake
Making a basic cake in a pressure cooker is easy. This is an easy, eggless and spongy cake recipe with no beating or whipping required.
My wheat cake recipe inspired this recipe. I have used all-purpose flour (maida) to prepare the cake but, you can also make it with whole wheat flour (atta).
If you want to make a wheat cake in the pressure cooker, then check out my Wheat Cake recipe. Make the batter and follow the method below to bake the cake in a pressure cooker.
This recipe yields a small sponge cake enough for a family of 3 or 4. This cake usually disappears as soon as I make it but, If there are any leftovers then it can be stored in the refrigerator. The recipe can also be doubled too.
Serve the pressure cooker cake warm or at room temperature. If you want, you can also frost the cake with any icing of your choice.
Do’s and Don’ts for Cooker Cake
- Pressure cooker: Use a good quality, heavy and thick bottomed 5 to 6-liter stovetop aluminum cooker for this cooker cake recipe. Use this cooker for baking only. Do not use this cooker for pressure cooking or boiling or steaming as the metal weakens if you continue to bake in the cooker. I would not recommend using a steel, anodized or a nonstick pressure cooker.
- Baking cake: Always use sea salt or river sand as a layer between the pressure cooker and pan. You can use the same salt for your next round of baking too. This first layer of salt help in even baking and does not overheat your baking pan which may cause the cake to burn or have brown spots at the bottom.
- Gasket and vent weight: Also, make sure you remove the gasket (rubber ring) and the vent weight (whistle) from the lid when you use your pressure cooker for baking.
- Trivet or rack: I also recommend to place a heatproof rack or trivet with a small height on the layer of salt inside the cooker. This rack or trivet acts as a second layer and makes sure that the cake is baked evenly without any burnt spots at the bottom.
- Flame: Make sure you cook the cake on a low heat or a medium-low heat to ensure that you get a fluffy and moist sponge.
- Cake pan: The pan used inside the cooker should be able to take dry heat. I used a regular round aluminum cake pan. Avoid using steel pans as the cake might get burnt from the bottom.
- Fit: Before you start cooking, make sure you check whether the baking pan will fit inside the pressure cooker first. If it doesn’t fit then use a smaller tin.
- Cleaning and care: Let the cooker cool completely first at room temperature. Then remove the salt which can be used again while baking cake in a cooker the next time. Store this salt in a container. Before you rinse or wash the cooker, ensure it is not hot. Clean the cooker and its lid with your preferred dish wash cleaner. Rinse thoroughly in water. Wipe dry and set aside.
How to Make Cake in Cooker
1. First grease a 5.5 inch (diameter) and 2.75 inches (height) pan very well with some butter. Set aside for later. You can also use a 6×6 inch square pan or a 5 inch round pan.
2. Place a mixing bowl beneath a sieve. Add 1 cup of all-purpose flour and ½ a teaspoon of baking powder to a sieve. If using unsalted butter, then add a light pinch of salt to the flour.
3. Sift once.
4. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or ½ a teaspoon of vanilla essence all over the flour. You can also add vanilla extract later after mixing the batter.
5. Take a 5 to 6 litre pressure cooker. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid and remove the vent weight (whistle).
6. Now take your pressure cooker. It is best to use a 5 or 6 liter heavy aluminium cooker.
7. Add 1 cup of sea salt into the cooker and spread the sea salt evenly in one single layer inside the cooker. You can also use river sand in place of salt.
19. Carefully keep a heatproof stand or rack or trivet on the layer of salt inside the pressure cooker. Keep the flame to a low and begin to preheat the pressure cooker for 5 minutes.
Remember to keep the heat to its lowest while preheating the cooker.
8. Meanwhile add ¼ cup of salted butter (40 grams) to a separate pan.
9. Now add ½ a cup of condensed milk to the pan.
10. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar. I used organic unrefined cane sugar but, you can also use regular sugar.
11. Add ½ cup of water.
12. Place the pan on stovetop and heat this mixture on a low flame.
13. Stir with a spatula so that the butter melts. Mix everything until well combined with a spatula.
14. Let this mixture come to a gentle simmer on a low heat.
15. Once this mixture comes to a gentle simmer then immediately add it in the flour mixture.
16. Grab a wire whisk and mix gently to prevent overmixing from happening. While mixing you will see whether the batter is too thick or thin. The batter should have a medium consistency.
You may need to add less or more water. If the batter is too thick then add ¼ cup of hot water. So keep some hot water handy.
17. Whisk until you get a smooth batter but, don’t over mix the batter. If you see some small tiny lumps in the batter, then let them be.
18. Pour the batter in the pan and gently shake the pan or tap the sides.
Make Cooker Cake
20. Hold the pan with a pair of tongs or use oven mitts and carefully place the cake pan on top of the rack or trivet in the cooker.
21. Secure the lid firmly and tightly on the cooker. Make sure you remember to remove the vent weight (whistle).
22. Bake the sponge cake on a low heat or sim until the cake turns golden. It takes about 40 to 50 minutes for the cake to bake in a 5-liter pressure cooker.
Cook the cake for 35 minutes to 50 minutes depending on the size of the cooker, the size and quality of the cake pan and the intensity of the heat.
Check the cooker cake by switching off the heat and removing the lid. Be careful as the cooker will be very hot.
23. The top should be golden and when you insert a bamboo skewer in the center of the cake, it should come out clean or with a few cake crumbs. However, if the skewer is sticky and has cake batter on it then it is not ready.
24. With the help of tongs remove the cake pan and place it on a wired rack. Allow the cake to become warm or cool at room temperature. Then remove the cake gently from the mould.
25. Serve the cooker cake warm or at room temperature. If you want you can also frost the cooker cake with any icing of your choice. Refrigerate the leftovers.
Yes, you can use a pressure cooker to bake desserts like cakes, puddings or cupcakes. Mix your favorite cake batter together and pour it into a prepared pan that fits into your pressure cooker.
It is vital and important that you do NOT add any water to the pressure cooker while the cake is baking. Water will steam the cake instead of baking.
Yes, you can bake this eggless sponge cake in an oven. Preheat the oven for at least 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust is golden.
More Delicious Cakes To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Cooker Cake | Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake
- 5 to 6 liter stovetop pressure cooker
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 small baking pan
- 1 small heatproof trivet or stand or rack
Dry ingredients to be sifted
- 1 cup all purpose flour – 125 grams
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
For the butter+condensed milk mixture
- ¼ cup salted butter – 40 grams, you can also use unsalted butter
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup water
- First grease a 5.5 inches (diameter) and 2.75 inches (height) pan very well with some butter. Keep aside.
- Place a mixing bowl beneath a sieve. Add all purpose flour and teaspoon baking powder in the sieve. If using unsalted butter, then you can add a light pinch of salt in the flour. Sift once.
- Sprinkle vanilla extract or vanilla essence all over the flour. You can also choose to add vanilla extract later after mixing the batter.
- Take a 5 to 6 litre pressure cooker. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid. Also remove the vent weight (whistle) from the lid.
- Now take the cooker and spread 1 cup of sea salt evenly all over the bottom in one single layer.
- Keep a heat proof stand or wired rack or trivet on the layer of salt inside the cooker.
- Begin to heat the cooker on a low flame on a stovetop. Keep the heat to its lowest and preheat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, take salted butter, sweetened condensed milk, sugar and water. I used raw sugar. You can also use white sugar.
- Place the pan on stovetop and heat this mixture on a low flame.
- Stir with a spatula so that the butter melts. Mix everything very well with the spatula.
- Let this mixture come to a gentle simmer on a low heat.
- When this mixture comes to a gentle simmer, then immediately add it in the flour mixture.
- With a wired whisk begin to mix with a light pressure, so that over mixing does not happen.
- While mixing you will come to know if the batter is going to be thick or too thick. The batter in this recipe is of medium consistency – neither thick nor thin.
- Depending on the quality of flour, you may need to add less or more water. If the batter becomes thick, then do add ¼ cup more hot water. So do keep some hot water handy.
- Whisk to a smooth batter, but don’t over do the mixing. If there are small tiny lumps in the batter, then its fine.
- Now pour the batter in the pan. Gently shake the pan or tap the sides.
Making cooker cake
- Place the cake pan carefully in the cooker holding the pan with a pair of tongs or using oven mitts.
- Secure the lid firmly and tightly on the cooker. Do remember to remove the vent weight (whistle).
- Bake sponge cake on a low flame or sim, till the cake turns golden. It took about 50 minutes for the cake to bake in the 5 litre pressure cooker I used.
- So consider an average time of 35 minutes to 50 minutes, depending on the size of the cooker, the size and quality of the cake pan and the intensity of the flame.
- You can check the cake by switching off the heat and removing the lid. Take care as the cooker will be very hot.
- The top should be golden and when you insert a bamboo skewer in the center of the cooker cake, it should come out clean or with a few cake crumbs, with no sticky batter on it.
- Remove the cake pan carefully by holding it with a pair of tongs as the cooker will be very hot.
- Place the cake pan on a wired tray to cool. Let the cake become warm or cool at room temperature.
- Then remove the cake gently from the mould. Serve cooker cake warm or at room temperature. If you want, you can also frost the cake with any icing of your choice. Refrigerate the leftovers.
- Use a heavy 5 to 6 liter aluminium cooker and keep this cooker for baking only.
- Remember to remove the gasket (rubber ring) and vent weight (whistle) from the lid when you use the pressure cooker for baking.
- While baking, keep a low to medium-low heat. Note that the timing of baking will vary with the size, heaviness, weight of the stovetop pressure cooker and the volume of the batter.
- You can also use unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, then add a pinch of salt while sifting the flour.
- Substitute for butter is ¼ cup oil. You can use a neutral flavored oil like sunflower oil or even olive oil can be used.
- Ghee can also be used instead of butter.
- Note that the approximate nutrition info is for 1 thick slice of the cooker cake.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This cooker cake post from the archives, first published on October 2016 has been republished and updated on 11 November 2021.
Comments are closed.
This is a fantastic cake recipe! Your homemade cake recipe is awesome. I will try it.
very good and easy receip
Thanks for the feedback and rating.
I tried this cake today. But the cake didn’t rise at all. I checked the baking powder, it was working. I had to add 1/4 more water to the batter as it came out thick. What could be the reason? I baked the cake in oven at 175 for 35 mins. Top and bottom became crisp. It tastes good.
Could be due to over mixing of the batter. Sometimes depending on the quality of flour, more or less water or liquids are required. Over mixed batters also do not make for a light cake. They give a dense and sometimes a doughy texture if gluten strands are formed during mixing. I hope this helps.
Can we use normal milk instead of condensed milk? if yes, can we add more sugar than?
With milk the entire recipe will change and will need to be tested and tried.
Hi Dassana, your recepies are foolproof. But still here I have one doubt at step 7 after adding flour mixture , gas to be turned off or not?
Thanks Madhuri. When adding the butter mixture to the flour mix, the pan is obviously turned off. The butter mixture is being heated and not the flour mixture. I hope this is more clear to you know.
pls also share the cake recipe in electric rice cooker
i will try to share cake made in an instant pot and i guess the same method should work in the rice cooker too.
can i use 3 litre pressure cooker for this?
if yes, then pls tell me what would be the measurements?
hi akshita, for a 3-litre pressure cooker you will have to use a slightly small pan that can fit in it. try using a pan which has more depth so that the cake batter when it bakes does not spill out.
since this cake recipe is made with 1 cup of flour, you can easily make it without changing the ingredients. the method of adding salt and removing the gasket & whistle will be the same. if the pan you use is small, then halve the recipe ingredients. hope this helps.
Hi i had triedthis cake n ur choclate cake also came out too gud n taste also excellnt jus wana ask if i dntvhv vanilla extract or essence wat substitute we can put in that coz its not availble here in darjeeling n 30 mar is my husb bdy wana prepare choclate cake or ne other cake witout vanilla esence if u can suggest that to cooker cake plzz help
thanks megha. for chocolate cake, you don’t need to add anything. but in the chocolate cake, to get a slight coffee flavor, you can add about 2 teaspoons of coffee. in the sponge cake, you can add cardamom powder – about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, depending on how much cardamom aroma you want in the cake. plus a generous pinch of nutmeg powder can also be added.
Very nice recipe. … canwe avoid condense milk.nd add only sugar after melting ?plz ans me
condensed milk is required in the recipe. with sugar only the entire recipe and method will change.
Can we bake with the same recipe and ingredients and measurements in oven?
yes you can bake this eggless sponge cake in an oven. bake at 180 degrees celsius and preheat oven at the same temperature for 15 mins before baking.
I tried to make this cake.it tasted good but the base became a little crisp.I kept for almost 1 hour as my cake pan is heavy.
Can you please suggest me how can I bake this without getting a crisp base?
even while cooking, especially slow or prolonged cooking a heavy pan will always give a crispy base. so i would suggest to use a medium weight pan – not heavy and not light – kind of between. again in a heavy pan, the cooking takes more time as the density of the metal is more. so the heat is slowly conducted. this results in the food getting cooked slowly and this slow cooking over a prolonged period makes the base of the food crispy.
I used all the ingredients as mentioned above. Cake did not baked properly inspite baking for 1 and half hour. Top layer of the cake did not turn golden. What could be the reason? BTW I have used regular metal pot instead of baking tin.
if the cake batter is mixed too much, the cake won’t rise and also it looks like the cake is not baked, but actually, the cake is baked. it will be more like a dense doughy (atta like) structure inside the cake. the top will be uneven and won’t have a uniform golden color. the pressure cooker cake method shown here works. for eggless cake batters, its always better to lightly mix them and do not over mix or over fold them. gluten strands are formed and they ruin the light spongy texture of the cake. regards to the pan – any metal pan works fine, but a baking pan is always better. hope this helps.
If I plan to use condensed milk instead of eggs in a cake. How much should I substitute?
i have used condensed milk instead of eggs. are you mentioning any other specific cake?
can we put some choclate chips in the cake batter?
Malvika, yes you can add chocolate chips in the cake batter.
mam cooker cake recipe was really nice plz let me the ingredients that can be used instead of butter & condensed milk
madhavi oil can be used instead of butter. for condensed milk, there are substitutes like curd, tofu etc that can be used. but the proportion of sugar and water will change. the recipe needs to be tested and tried.
Hi dassana. Thank you for all your recipes. They’ve always been the best 🙂 I had one doubt, can I bake all your cakes in a similar manner in pressure cooker??
welcome veena. not all the cake recipes posted on website can be baked in pressure cooker. if the batter is on the thinner side, then such recipes do not work in a pressure cooker. either they take a long time and sometimes even after 2 hours of baking, they are not done. cake recipes where the batter thick to medium consistency can be baked in a pressure cooker.
Is there any difference in final baked cake while baking in pressure cooker and oven……since ingredients used are different in each case…thx.
there is a difference and its the time taken. in pressure cooker, the baking is faster than in an oven. also in a pressure cooker, its better to have a slightly thick or medium consistency of batter than what is required in an oven.
hi , thanks for the recipe can I replace condensed milk with sugar also can u please let me know where do u buy that organic cane sugar.
welcome vininandhu. condensed milk will be required for the recipe. so you can’t replace with sugar. i buy from big basket or natures basket – 24 letter mantra brand or conscious food brand.
Thanks a lot for replying me.. I want to tell you that all your recipes and Pics mind blowing. I can Understand much effort your taking for that keep it up… I do lot of eggless baking so whenever i have doubt i use to check yours. You have almost covered everything from cooking to baking. thanks you once again.
Welcome Vini. Glad to know that I could help. Thanks for your positive feedback and appreciation.
If I want to bake this cake .then for how much time?
Sahana, you want to bake in pressure cooker or in the oven?
For baking in oven, preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes and then bake at the same temperature.
Can the crystal salt used for baking ,be used again for cooking?
avoid using the salt for cooking as some salt crystals get browned or burned. keep it for baking only. i keep on reusing the same salt for baking when i have to bake in a pressure cooker.
Hi! Thank you very much for your recipe. I tried it . Though it raised little not much as shown in your pic. Can i know where i could be wrong . Is it in mixing or baking powder.
welcome rekha. could be both due to over mixing or the quality of baking powder. usually for eggless cake its always better to mix with light hands without much pressure coming from the hands. some tiny lumps are fine in the batter.
I baked a cake with the same ingredients and amount but it was hard.
denseness in a cake can be due to overmixing the batter or using baking powder or baking soda which are not fresh. if the baking powder is not active, the entire cake will become dense. so its better to check the freshness of baking powder in some water. if it bubbles and fizzes the baking powder is fresh and can be used. if it does not, then discard it.
Hi. I Would like to know whether unsalted butter can be substituted by home made ghee?
Anuja, yes you can. but cake will have the aroma of ghee.
I always wanted to bake a cake and the procedure is sooooper easy..I wat to try it.I have all the ingredients.but I have crystal salt..is crystal salt and sea salt same?????plz reply.
sea salt is in the form of crystals. so i assume you have sea salt which are like crystals.
Mam can I use homemade condensed milk . And can I use refine instead of butter.
you can use homemade condensed milk and even oil can be used.
for oven baking time n temperature plz
180 degrees celsius. time will vary from oven to oven. so take an approx time of 20 to 30 minutes. preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes before baking.
Hey Thanks for responding.
For some reason I couldn’t find my own comment:).
welcome ameena. if you refresh the page, you will see the comment.
I tried this recipe last week in oven and it tasted very nice. thanks for sharing, I like your way of making cakes without using any blender.
Hey for some reason my cakes get burned on top, am new to baking and using oven. what is this upper heating and lower heating thing. pl
Welcome Ameena. Do not use the top heating element when baking for small ovens. If the oven is big then using top heating element is fine. But for small oven the top will get browned or burnt. you can use aluminium foil or butter paper on top of the pan in order to avoid the cake getting burnt.
Thanks a lot for the recipe 🙂 The measurements you give are so correct and can be blindly followed. I’m new to baking and my second attempt with this recipe was successful 🙂 In my first attempt I added vanilla essence to flour and it formed black lumps and even after vigorous mixing they didn’t bind with the flour. My suggestion to other would be to add vanilla essence in liquid mixture.
Welcome Amulya. Thanks for your suggestion. You don’t need to mix too much, if the lumps form. As when you add other liquid ingredients then the lumps dissolves. But your suggestion is good and will help readers.
Have you tried with fruits like banana?? I always try experimenting with cooking.. can you guide in this? Banana cake in cooker
siya, i have never tried making fruit based cakes in cooker, but some readers have tried fruit based cake recipes posted on website in their pressure cookers.
Hi Dassana, I made this…but it came out like a pudding. The top layer got burnt may be because of high temperature.it tasted good…but my concern is what went wrong through out in baking this cake. I followed your entire recipe…
monisha, looks like the cake batter was too mixed too much and thus the consistency like that of a pudding. the batter has to be mixed very lightly and with less pressure. if the batter is mixed too much or if it is thick, then gluten strands develop in the batter and this ruins the texture of the cake. the burning is also due to this problem. next time just mix lightly and do not over do the mixing. with eggless cake batters, it always better to do light mixing and folding.
I love it thank u so much
Can i cook this in electric pressure cooker? And what is the different?
fathi, i don’t know. i never tried. so unable to help you.
Will unsalted butter difference in the taste
there is a difference in taste with unsalted butter. but not a major difference. it can almost go undetected and is a subtle difference.
How many pieces can be divided in the cake ?
8 to 9 pieces.
Hi dassana, I have a doubt regarding making eggless cake and I know u only can answer. (1) Some say warm milk will not help in rising the cake and some say warm milk should be used (2) in place of condensed milk how much sugar should be used when we are taking 1 cup maida and if we want to make it using oil in place of butter then how much
subha, warm or hot milk helps the cake in giving soft texture. rising depends on the leavening agent used and not warm milk. you can use 1/2 cup water instead of condensed milk. but in this case, don’t use baking powder. add baking soda. 1/3rd teaspoon should be fine without getting the baking soda aroma in the cake. oil can be 1/4th cup. also i would suggest to add some lemon juice or vinegar here. so you can add 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. add lemon juice once you switch off the flame and mix well. avoid adding milk as lemon or vinegar can curdle the milk, hence i have suggested adding water.
Hi dassana , can l bake the cake in air fryer
Mona, You can try. I don’t know how it will work.
1) Pl adv alternate option for sea salt or river sand.
2) Also adv temp setting for oven.
you can use regular salt. temp setting for oven is 180 degrees celsius. preheat for 15 minutes and bake at the same temperature.
salt is necessary for cooking??
it helps in a way where the cake does not get burnt from the bottom. if you do not use salt, then do use a stand in the cooker.
Thank you for the recipe. I have used Oven as cooker was not available. Took the part details from ” Atta cake” recipe . Preheated the oven for 20 minutes at 180 Deg C then baked the cake for 25 minutes at 180 Deg C. This was my first successful attempt. 🙂
Thank you very much …
welcome bhumika. any cake that is made in a pressure cooker can be easily baked in an oven. thank for sharing your feedback. happy baking and cooking ?
Instead of rock salt can we use sand for evenly heating up?
you can use sand.
Baked this cake today for new year joy… It came out pretty amazing. I would definitely recommend this recipe f beginner as it explained in detail. Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe. House smells wonderful too
thank you nirupama for this positive feedback on the recipe. wish you a happy new year.
hi..i only hav 9lt cooker can i use that?? if can…for what time it should be left to cook on low flame
prakash i think you can try in a 9 litre cooker. but the baking will take less time as compared with a 5 or 6 litre cooker.
How can i make my cake with out stand in a pressure cooker??
I have a question for u.i have no heat proove rack so how can i make the cake in pressure cooker?plz reply.
you can keep it directly on the salt layer or you can keep a steel or aluminium plate and keep the cake pan on the plate. just be careful while removing the plate as its very hot. so let it cool in the cooker itself and then remove. keeping on a rack helps as the chance of cake getting burnt from the bottom is less.
thanx a lot for replyng
i hd baked this cake in cooker n it came out wonderful… 1 time wen i cooked was bit hard bt today i cooked was soft bt as my neighbour is goin baking classes c said to me ur not doin on cake? so c only told me dat v can make sugar syrup by sugar n water n jus pour on layers of cake… can dis b done if yes den please tell a little measures for dat… n thnx for ur recipes…
thats nice to know megha. you can use the sugar syrup for this cake, even some coffee + sugar + water mixture can be used. heat some water, add instant coffee and sugar. mix very well. when it cools you can brush or spread the cake with this solution.
for this cake you can use 1/4 cup water + 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar (it should be just sweet and not too sweet, so add sugar accordingly)
for coffee solution, you can use 1/4 cup water + 1 to 2 teaspoons instant coffee and 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar (sugar can also be skipped here).
Hi..can I use egg instead of yogurt while baking choco cake??.should I heat pressure cooker for five min on high flame before placing d cake???pls reply Thankyou.
fouzisak, which chocolate cake recipe are you referring to. let me know. as i just cannot tell if eggs can be used. the other ingredients should also be considered.
Are u able to see my comments? Plz reply
yes ruchi, i have replied to your comment.
Hi amit,thanks fr the wonderful recipe.. Plz let me know 105 gm floor and 1/2 tsp baking powder will b enough for this sponge cake?..no use of baking soda in it? Also let me know in your app how can I comment overe there for any recipe?
welcome ruchi. the proportion of flour and baking powder is what i have used and its fine. no need of baking soda. there is a comment sign on top right hand side of the recipe post. if you click on it, comments open up and then you can add your comment.
hello dasanna, your receipies are very tasty I have a confusion about the measurement of maids and baking powder? is it hundred five gram maida ? because u mentioned one cup maida ( according to u ¹ cup= two fifty ml)
ruchi, maida when measured in 1 cup (which has the capacity of 250 ml) weighs 100 to 105 grams, when weighed separately on a weighing scale. depending on the density of ingredients, each one has different weight. for e.g. 1 cup of rice weighs 200 to 220 grams depending on the type of rice. so if you use cup, the use 1 cup. if you use weighing scale, then use 105 grams of maida.
Hi I madeit today but I don’t get the fluff in the cake
can you tell me in detail what went wrong – e.g. like the texture of cake or did it rise etc.
Yes it didn’t rise well
cake rising not well here can be due to three reasons. one is the size of the pan, second is the freshness of baking powder and third is too much mixing or over mixing the batter. if a larger pan is used, then the size mentioned in the recipe, the cake won’t have a dome on top. if baking powder is not fresh or active or past its shelf life, then the cake won’t have an airy and light texture. it will be dense. if too much mixing is done, then this will also result in doughy and dense texture.
have u used baking powder n baking soda both ??
no neha, only baking powder.
Thanks for sharing the. recipe. I tried this. It was tasting great.. but the texture was too thick.. is it because I made the batter too thick? Also, cake didnot rise much
welcome. if the batter is thick, the depending on the recipe ingredients, the cake may or may not rise well. so could be that due to thick batter, the cake did not rise much. some more water added to the batter could have given a medium consistency batter.
hi can i prep it without condensed milk? by adding extra sugar?.. Pls post pressure cooked cake for diabetics and other sweet recipes for diabetics. I and my mom love your recipes.. Thank you 🙂
no mounika. condensed milk here is an egg substitute. you can replace condensed milk with curd. but in this case, you will need to add sugar. so for this recipe, you can add 1/4 cup curd and mix it very well with 1/4 cup water. for sugar you can add 1/3 cup sugar which is just sweet. for a more pronounced sweetness, you can add 1/2 cup sugar. if you do not want to use sugar, then use date syrup or dates puree. 1/3 cup of dates puree should be fine. just soak seedless dates in some warm water for 20 to 30 minutes. then puree them with very little water. make a thick puree.
one more change will add baking soda along with baking powder. so add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. again the 1/3rd cup water that is added will change. so you may need to add 1/4th cup or a bit more of water. this also depends on the quality of flour.
no need to heat anything. just melt the butter. add melted butter, dates puree to sifted flour + baking powder. if using sugar then heat it with the butter. then mix curd+water in a bowl. add baking soda to this curd+water solution. it will froth and fizz once you add baking soda. then add this to the flour. add some more water and vanilla extract. mix well but not too much. then bake.
i will try to add some more diabetic recipes. give my regards to your mom.
what is the alternative to the metal rack used for keeping the cake pan?
you can keep a heat proof stand. if you do not have a stand or rack, then just keep the pan on the salt or sand layer.
hi dassana i tried d cake. it was tasty but d cake didn’t came up it was not atall snwogy. d ll
it was not what? could not make out the word “snowgy”.
Hi ..i tried the cake last night…but even after cooking for 2 hours under low flame…the top part didnt get cooked..and in cooked part I didnt get the spongy texture…Can you please tell me what would have gone wrong?
2 hours is too long. when you say you did not get spongy texture, then what kind of texture was there. this will help me in finding out what could have gone wrong.
can u try this in Telugu
since i do not know telugu, i am afraid i won’t be able to translate in telugu.
very nice recipies
vary nice recipe ..
Can you cook this recipe in a normal cake tin in the oven as I don’t have a pressure cooker? and would it be any good for icing and decorating as I know its very light
of course you can prepare this cake in the oven. bake at 180 degree celsius in a preheated oven. you can have a light icing like a sugar icing.
for how long?
depends on the size, make and litres of the oven. so there is no standard time. it can take any where about 30 to 45 minutes.
Cant have evaporated milk. Is there anything you would suggest substituting?
here i have used condensed milk and not evaporated milk. you can try with coconut cream, but will give coconut flavors in the cake. another option is to use curd. but in both cases, you will need to adjust the sugar by adding more. you can overall add 1/3rd to 1/2 cup sugar. also add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda if using curd or coconut milk.
how to make d same recipe in microwave
i am not sure whether the cake recipe will work out in the microwave oven.
hi i have a query if i put in roasted cashewnuts as well as pistachios will the cake rise or it will falatten
it will rise. just mix a bit of flour with the dry fruits and then add to the batter. this is so that the dry fruits do not sunk at the bottom of the cake
Hi,I have an question .In this pressure Cooker cake recipe instead of sea salt can I use little bit water as we are using for idle,and instead of that pan can I use idle maker plates for cake.please give suggestion.
don’t add water. as with water steaming will occur and that will spoil the texture of the cake. you can use idli pans and make idli shaped muffins. but you need to bake in a dry heat. so do not add any water. just keep the idli pan directly in the cooker or keep it on top of a heat proof rack.
Thank you for the prompt response, I’ll update you with my oven baking results 😉
Can you please explain me in detail how to make it in cooker? Like i have baked it before but dint use mud or anything! Is it necesaary?
navneet, using salt or river sand is not necessary. but do use a metal rack and keep the cake pan on the rack. so that the cake does not get burnt from the base. you can also use the plate which comes with the cooker. thats what i have used here. the rest of the method is explained in the post.
I am a huge fan of our cooking….
I hve one query tht how to make icing of this cake…
Plz man jzt let me know…icing simple recipe. .!
thanks latha, which icing you are looking for. four basic icings i know are sugar icing, cream icing, butter icing and chocolate icing. let me know and then i can tell you.
Thank you for sharing wonderful veg recipes to all of us and it’s always no-fail proven. Keep up the spirit of blogging and u’re always an inspiration to me in cooking veg food 🙂
This sponge cake texture looking similar to a chiffon cake which usually required a few eggs but it has the egg smell so I’m very keen to try this recipe of yours. I wonder if I can bake this cake inside an oven instead?
thank you much printha. felt nice reading your comment.
you are right. the texture is similar to chiffon cake. you can bake in the oven too. preheat oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius. then bake at 180 degrees celsius till the top is golden.
Have u tried baking this cake??
i have tried baking a whole wheat version of the same cake. if that works then this should also work.
While making cakes/cookies/muffins, can we use milk products (milk, cream, butter, condensed milk etc) which are warm or cold? Will it make difference to the texture?
ruchi, it depends on the recipe. generally butter for most cake recipes is at room temperature. for cookies it can be at room temp or cold. condensed milk can be at room temp for both cookies and cakes. milk also depends on the recipe. yes being warm or cold does make a difference to the texture.
There’s a lot to learn in baking… thanks for sharing
yes and its true too. welcome ruchi.
Awesome recipie 🙂
Can we used anything else instead of condensed milk?
condensed milk is required in the recipe. if you prepare without condensed milk, then the whole recipe will change.
Thank you for the reply:) can u tell me generally what is the best replacement for condensed Milk or how can we make condensed Milk at homes?
mawa or khoya is a good replacement. in fact both mawa and condensed milk work well as substitutes of each other. i have never made condensed milk recipe at home, but you can try this recipe. one reader had shared and i had saved it. take 1 litre whole milk, 350 grams sugar and 1 pinch of baking soda. in a non stick pan, mix everything and cook for 35 minutes with non-stop stirring. can be stored for 4 to 5 months in the fridge. i hope this helps you nileema.
Thank u so much 🙂
Use milk powder
The cake looks very nice & soft…
Heat-proof stand means that this stand should not get heated? I thought if it is made of (any) metal, it will get heated..
welcome ruchi. heat proof stand means that it will be able to take all the dry heat but not bend or melt or smell while cooking. of course it will get heated. any metal will get heated. best is to use an aluminium based one or a strong steel one. what i have used here is the steel seive which i got with the steel pressure cooker.
this much sugar require, if we make cake using condensed milk. I think it’s too much sweet cake
its not a very sweet cake. its just 1/2 cup condensed milk. if you use only condensed milk and no sugar then the cake won’t be sweet. so some sugar has to be added and even with 3 tablespoons sugar, the cake is just sweet and not much sweet.