This puffed rice recipe is a lightly spiced savory snack made with puffed rice and a few spices. you can even call this recipe as masala murmura. Puffed rice is also called as murmura in hindi language.
This is a healthy snack that you can munch on any time of the day. There are days when you want to eat light food. I made these lightly spiced puffed rice (murmura chaat) on such a day. We just had this and some fruits this day. Maybe the travelling back home from coimbatore was taking a toll on us.
What is puffed rice
Puffed rice are rice grains (white or brown) which have been cooked or roasted to make the rice grains puff up. I have seen rice grains being puffed in large iron woks (kadai) filled with hot sand. The rice grains are partially cooked (by steaming or roasting) and then cooked on a hotbed of sand till they start puffing. Making puffed rice from rice grains is an extensive process and takes time. Puffed rice is easily available in Indian stores and you don’t need to spend a lot of time and energy making them at home.
In other Indian languages puffed rice is also known as muri (Bengali), mamra (Gujarati), pori (tamil, malayalam), murmura (hindi), kurmura (marathi), telugu (borugulu) and mandakki (kannada).
How I made spiced puffed rice
There are numerous way puffed rice snacks can be made. In this puffed rice recipe, I have kept the spicing and flavoring light. Variations can include the addition of roasted gram (roasted chana dal) and roasted or fried peanuts. I chose not to add any roasted gram or peanuts or onions to the puffed rice (murmura) as I wanted to make a light snack. So I just lightly roasted the puffed rice with some turmeric, asafoetida, black salt and curry leaves.
Both asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves give a really good flavor and taste to the puffed rice. Turmeric imparts a nice bright yellow color. Black salt gives a nice sharp taste. If you do not have black salt, then use white salt or himalayan salt.
You can even temper with some mustard seeds or cumin seeds. Red chilli powder or your favorite Indian ground spice can also be added.
Once you are done with the roasting, then serve the puffed rice at room temperature. When serving you can top with some boiled potatoes or sev or coriander leaves or a spicy green chutney or sweet tamarind chutney or lemon juice. I added some chopped boiled potatoes and topped with a little Sev (fried gram flour vermicelli) And the light puffed rice snack was ready.
While serving feel free to add various tidbits (raw mangoes, papdi, onions, tomatoes, lemon juice) to the puffed rice the way you or your family likes. You can even scale the recipe and make a large batch. Store in an air-tight jar. Murmura snack is healthy and loved by kids too.
There are many recipes that I make with puffed rice. Both sweets and snacks can be made with puffed rice. I have already shared some popular Indian puffed rice recipes like:
- Bhel puri – awesome Mumbai street food
- Jhal muri – Kolkata style street snack
- Churumuri recipe – famous street food snack from Karnataka
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
for roasting puffed rice
- 2 cups puffed rice - murmura, pori, mandakki, muri
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves 10 to 12 leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil
- black salt or white salt or himalayan salt- add as per taste
for serving puffed rice:
- 1 or 2 tablespoon fine sev - optional
- 1 medium size potato - boiled, peeled and chopped - optional
- In a heavy pan or wok, heat oil. Keep the flame to a low and add the curry leaves.
- Fry for some seconds till the curry leaves become crisp. Add the turmeric and asafoetida.
- Quickly stir and immediately add the puffed rice.
- Roast the puffed rice for a couple of minutes till they become crisp. Do not brown them.
- Add salt and mix again.
- Let the puffed rice snack cool at room temperature.
- When serving murmura chaat, add some boiled potatoes and top up with sev. You can drizzle some lemon juice if you want.
- The puffed rice recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- Make a large batch and store in an air-tight container.
- You can add your favorite spices or herbs while tempering.
- To make a spicy puffed rice add red chilli powder.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.