Nurukku Manga Achar with video and step by step photos. This is a 15 minute Kerala style instant pickle that is made for Sadhya during festivals and celebrations. The recipe comes from my mom and was a regular at our place.
In Malayalam the word “Sadhya” means banquet where a vegetarian feast of various dishes are made and served on plantain leaf.
About Nurukku Manga Achar
1. On the name: In Malayalam language:
- ‘Nurukku‘ means small chopped or cut pieces
- ‘Manga‘ stands for mango and
- ‘Achar‘ means pickle.
2. Ingredients: The pickle is prepared with raw unripe chopped mangoes, mustard seeds, curry leaves and some spice powders.This pickle also doesn’t require any sunlight or much of the cooking process.
3. Time taken: The best part of this pickle recipe is that it can be made in less than 15 mins.
4. On Weight: In the step by step photo format, I have used 4 small green mangoes which together weighed 300 grams. In the video, I have used one large mango which weighed about 300 grams. Depending on the size of the raw green mangoes, the number of mangoes will vary. So when you chop them, you should get about 1 to 1.25 cups of chopped cubes.
5. Scaling: You can also easily increase the quantity of the recipe by doubling the ingredients mentioned in the recipe card below. Personally I love this pickle as it is made quickly and can be made in small quantities.
Few more amazing Indian pickle recipes:
Serving Suggestions & Storage:
You can serve Nurukku Manga Achar as a side dish in Sadya meals or with any South Indian meals. You can also serve this pickle with dal-rice or curd rice or dal khichdi or sambar sadam (sambar with steamed rice).
Pickles go great as a condiment or side dish along with dal-rice, veggies or pulao. In fact some people even love to club pickles with roti, methi thepla and paratha.
This pickle could be made any day during the mango season. At room temperature, this will last for 1 to 2 days. If you directly keep in the fridge after the pickle is prepared, then it will last for about a week.
Nurukku Manga Achar Recipe Video
How to make Nurukku Manga Achar
1. Keep all the ingredients ready. I prefer to keep everything handy as this fastens the cooking process.
2. Rinse 4 small (300 grams) and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel. There should be no trace of moisture on them. In the video above, I have used 1 large mango which weighed about 300 grams. Whereas in the step by step pics, I have used 4 small mangoes and they weighed 300 grams in total.
3. Peel their skin. This is an optional step.
4. Chop them into small bite-sized pieces or cubes. Chopping is a bit tough, so use a good knife and be careful of your hands. Place them in a mixing bowl or a wide dish. After chopping, you should get about 1 to 1.25 cups of chopped cubes.
5. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder and 1 teaspoon salt on the chopped cubes. If you want you can reduce the Kashmiri red chilli powder for less spiciness.
6. Mix everything nicely with a spoon.
7. The masala should nicely coat the cubes. Take the masala coated mangoes in a heat proof bowl.
Tempering for the pickle
8. Heat 4 tablespoons sesame oil (gingelly oil – made with raw sesame seeds) in a small vessel or kadai. You can also use mustard oil or sunflower oil.
9. Add 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and ½ tsp asafoetida (hing).
10. Once they start crackling, add 8 to 10 curry leaves. Fry for 1 to seconds and then switch off the flame.
11. Pour this hot tempering or hot oil mixture over the masala mixed mangoes.
12. Mix everything very well with a spoon.
13. Allow the pickle to cool and store in a clean, sterilized glass bottle. The pickle is ready. Serve this pickle as a condiment with your favorite meal like curd rice or khichdi or sambar rice or vegetable pulao or vegetable biryani. Refrigerate the pickle for later use.
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Nurukku Manga Achar (Instant Pickle)
- 300 grams unripe green mangoes or 4 small green mangoes - peeled and chopped or 1 to 1.25 cups chopped and peeled raw unripe green mangoes (keri or kairi or kachcha aam or manga)
- 3 teaspoons kashmiri red chili powder or red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or add as per taste
for tempering the pickle
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sesame oil, about ¼ cup, add more if required, can use sunflower oil or mustard oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
preparing the pickle
- Rinse the mangoes and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel. There should be no trace of moisture on them. Peel their skin. To peel is optional.
- Chop them into small bite sized pieces or cubes. Chopping is a bit tough, so use a good knife and be careful of your hands.
- The chopped cubes should be about 1 to 1.25 cups.
- Place them in a mixing bowl or wide dish.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder and salt on the cubes.
- Mix all of them nicely with a spoon.
- The masalas should nicely coat the cubes.
tempering the pickle
- Heat 4 tablespoons sesame oil in a small vessel or tadka pan.
- Add 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and ½ tsp asafoetida.
- Once they start crackling, add the curry leaves.
- Fry for 1 to 2 seconds and then switch off the flame
- Pour this hot tempering or hot oil mixture over the masala coated raw mangoes.
- Mix everything with a spoon.
- Allow to cool and store the pickle in clean, sterilized glass bottles.
- The Nurukku Manga Achar is ready. Serve as a side dish in Sadhya meals or your favorite meals.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.