Gobi ke danthal ki sabzi recipe – a dry spiced curry made from cauliflower stalks and leaves. A vegan dish.
This recipe of gobi danthal is a family recipe. We have been making this sabzi for years. A homely and everyday Punjabi recipe. Don’t expect any restaurant flavors or taste in this one. This dish belongs to the vast collection of recipes that are cooked everyday in Indian homes.
This gobi danthal dry curry is mildly spiced with the flavors of mustard oil coming through. Mustard oil gives the dish its pungent punch in the flavor department.
Serve gobi ke danthal ki sabzi with rotis, parathas or as a side dish with dal rice combo.
There are many lesser known Indian recipes which are made from veggie peels or leaves that are usually discarded by us. E.g. Banana peel thoran made with raw unripe banana peels. There are also chutneys and stir fried dishes made from bottle gourd, ridge gourd and even bitter gourd peels. Over a period of time, we are losing these recipes as we don’t realize that some vegetable peels, leaves or roots also carry nutritional value.
So next time, when you buy cauliflower for making your favorite Gobi recipes Like Aloo gobi, Cauliflower fry, Gobi matar then don’t throw away the stalks. Instead save it and try this homely gobi danthal recipe.
If you are looking for more Veggie recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
gobi ke danthal ki sabzi
- stalks and leaves from 1 large cauliflower (phool gobi)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped - about 1.25 heaped cup of chopped onions
- ¾ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 green chili chopped or ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ to 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) or add as per your taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- salt as required
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower stalks. Rinse the stalks thoroughly to remove the mud particles. Keep them soaked in hot water for about 5 mins.
- Peel of the hard or tough outer layer from the stalks then slice them to one inch pieces. You can also chop them in cubes.
- Rinse the leaves well and chop them finely.
- Heat oil in a small pressure cooker or a pressure pan.
- Add garlic and ginger. Stir and saute till their raw aroma goes away.
- Then add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Now add the turmeric powder, green chilies, asafoetida/hing.
- Stir and add the chopped stalks and leaves.
- Add salt and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Lastly add 2 to 3 tbsp water.
- Cover and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. *check notes if not using a pressure cooker
- The stalks should become tender after cooking. if not, then pressure cook for more 1 or 2 whistle.
- Once the pressure settles down on its own remove the lid of the cooker.
- If there is moisture or any water in the cooker, then simmer till all the water evaporates.
- Add garam masala and 1/2 tsp dry mango powder/amchur. Stir well.
- Check the taste and add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp more of dry mango powder as per your taste.
- Serve gobi danthal sabzi with rotis or phulkas.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later