chilli mushroom gravy recipe with step by step photos – this is a quick indo chinese recipe for making spicy and delicious chilli mushroom. this chilli mushroom recipe has a sauce. i have also shared the dry chilli mushroom recipe.
this is my way of making quick chilly mushroom. you don’t need to prepare the batter and then fry the mushrooms separately. the mushrooms are stir fried till well browned and then the sauce is made. this is one recipe that you can make when you want to have some hot and spicy chinese food. few more spicy recipes you can make are:
most of the times i make food which are quick and easy to prepare. some indian recipes are time consuming but at times all i want is to make something quick for our rumbling tummies. and at times it is the best to make some quick indo chinese recipes. yes quick ones, not the ones which have extensive chopping and preparation like the veg manchurian or gobi manchurian.
this mushroom chilli recipe is really spicy as apart from green chilies, i have also added red chili paste. so you can imagine…. decrease the quantity of green chilies and red chili paste if you want less heat and spice.
instead of thinking of ordering a takeaway or going to the nearby chinese restaurant, prepare this chilly mushroom at home. you won’t regret.
as you see in the pics, we had the chilly mushroom with some homemade whole wheat sesame burger buns. the buns just soaked up the sauce and it was yummm.
the chilli mushroom gravy also goes very well with naan, rotis and plain boiled rice. if you have more time and patience than you can make some veg fried rice to go with it.
if you are looking for more mushroom recipes then you can check:
chilli mushroom recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR chilli mushroom recipe
- 200 grams white button mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1 small to medium bell pepper sliced or chopped
- ¼ cup onion or spring onions whites (scallion whites), chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery, optional
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic (lahsun)
- 2 to 3 green chilies, finely chopped or slit
- 1 tablespoon corn flour dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce - add less or more as you prefer
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar or rice wine or white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper or black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar as required
- salt as required
- ½ tablespoon green chilli sauce
- ½ tablespoon red chili sauce
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar or rice wine or white vinegar
- 1.25 cups water, 1.5 cups gives a slightly thin sauce or vegetable stock, add more if required
- some chopped spring onion greens (scallion greens) for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE chilli mushroom recipe
making chilli mushroom dry
- rinse the mushroom in water and chop them.
- heat oil in a wok or kadai. add the onions or spring onion whites.
- stir fry them on medium heat till they become transparent.
- now add the ginger, garlic and green chilies and stir fry for a minute.
- add the capsicum & celery and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- add the mushrooms and stir fry on medium heat till the mushrooms leave water and start to get browned. they will shrink in size too.
- this will take about 7-8 minutes. the whole mixture should become dry and the mushroom browned.
- add soya sauce, green chilli sauce, pepper powder, red chilli powder or red chilli sauce, salt, sugar, vinegar and stir.
- stop here if you want a dry mushroom chilly.
for making chilli mushroom gravy follow the below steps:
- add water or vegetable stock to the mushrooms. let this mixture heat up & simmer.
- add slowly cornflour paste to this mixture. keep on stirring so that the sauce does not form lumps.
- when the chilli mushroom sauce is thick enough remove from heat.
- check the seasonings... add soya sauce, sugar, salt or black pepper powder more as required.
- serve chilli mushroom hot with some veg fried rice or even plain rice.
- this chilli mushroom gravy recipe also goes well with bread or buns too.
tips to make mushroom chilli gravy
- green chilies, garlic, ginger, red chili paste, black pepper powder, salt and sugar can be adjusted to suit one's taste.
- i have stir fried the veggies on medium heat so that they don't burn. if using high heat to stir fry the veggies then be careful so that they don't burn.
- add more cornflour paste if you want a thicker sauce or gravy in the mushroom chilli.
- if using sweet rice wine or mirin, then reduce the sugar or skip it.
you can add both salt and sugar towards the end, once the mushroom chilli gravy is done.
add less salt as the sauce already have salt in them.
how to make mushroom chilli
1. rinse 200 grams mushroom in water and then chop them. heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or kadai. add ¼ cup chopped onions or chopped spring onion whites.
2. stir fry them on medium heat till they become translucent.
3. now add ½ tablespoon finely chopped ginger, ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic and 2 to 3 slit green chilies. stir fry for a minute.
4. then add 1 small to medium sized, sliced or chopped bell pepper (capsicum) and 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery. addition of celery is optional. stir fry for a couple of minutes.
5. then add 200 grams chopped mushrooms.
6. stir fry on medium heat till the mushrooms leave water and start to get browned. they will shrink in size too.
7. this will take about 7-8 minutes.
8. the whole mixture should become dry and the mushroom browned.
9. add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and mix well. you can add soy sauce less or more as per your preference.
10. next add ½ tablespoon green chili sauce and ½ tablespoon red chili sauce.
11. mix well.
12. then add ½ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper (or pepper powder), ½ teaspoon sugar and salt as required. add less salt as the sauces already have salt in them. mix well. stop here if you want a dry chilly mushroom.
making chilli mushroom gravy
(for a gravy and saucy chilly mushroom, continue with the below steps)
13. mix 1 tablespoon corn flour in 2 tablespoon water. stir and mix well.
14. add 1.25 cups water or vegetable stock to the mushrooms. mix well. bring to a boil.
15. then add the corn starch paste.
16. as soon as you add corn starch paste, mix very well.
17. simmer for a few minutes and let the chilli mushroom gravy thicken.
19. switch off the flame and add ½ tbsp rice vinegar (or rice wine or white vinegar). if using sweet rice wine or mirin, then reduce the sugar or skip it. check the seasonings of mushroom chilli gravy and add soya sauce, sugar, salt or black pepper powder more as required.
20. mix very well.
21. serve chilli mushroom gravy hot with some veg fried rice or burnt garlic fried rice or even plain rice. this mushroom chilli recipe also goes well with bread or buns too.