avocado salad recipe – a simple, light side dish for the summers, made with avocado and yogurt. i could have called this recipe an avocado raita. but since i have actually made a dressing and used less amount of yogurt, i will call it avocado salad with yogurt dressing. however the yogurt dressing is optional. but it does add a lot of flavor.
the yogurt dressing is lightly spiced. apart from avocado, i have also added onion, tomato and cucumber. the avocado salad goes very well as a side dish with a vegetarian meal or appetizers.
what you get is a creamy avocado salad with the smoothness of the avocado, crunch of the cucumber, onion, tomato and a hint of the spices.
whenever i buy avocado, i mostly end up making guacamole and the guacamole toast sandwich. sometimes i make raita or just add the avocado to salads. and on some rare occasions an avocado milkshake.
if you are looking for more salad recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR avocado salad
for avocado salad
- 1 large avocado
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 small to medium onion
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - optional
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves
for the dressing
- 4 to 5 tablespoon full fat yogurt (dahi or curd)
- ½ to 2/3 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) or as required
- 1 pinch red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE avocado salad
making yogurt dressing for avocado salad
- whisk the yogurt till smooth.
- add the olive oil, rest of the ground spices, salt and olive oil.
- whisk very well to create a smooth light sauce dressing. olive oil is optional here. keep the dressing aside.
other preparation for avocado salad
- peel and chop the tomato and cucumber.
- finely chop the onion. chop the green chili too. skip the green chili if you prefer.
- slice the avocado and then remove the large seed. with a spoon, scoop the flesh.
- chop the avocado. keep a few slices for garnish.
making avocado salad
- take the chopped avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and green chilies in a mixing bowl.
- pour the dressing and gently toss the salad.
- garnish with chopped coriander or parsley leaves and a few avocado slices.
- serve the avocado salad with yogurt dressing.
- yogurt dressing is optional and can be skipped.