Tomato Thokku Recipe with step by step photos. I remember having readymade Mango Thokku a couple of times before. Never had Tomato Thokku. So decided to make it.
Tomato Thokku is a simple recipe and I finished making it pretty soon. I checked for the recipe on some sites on the internet and then followed my own intuition and feeling to make the recipe.
Generally thokkus are made in large quantities, but I have made this tomato thokku recipe to go for some 3-4 days. Increase the ratio of ingredients proportionately, if you want to last it for weeks or months. Tomato Thokku can be stored in the refrigerator for nearly 2-3 weeks time.
Tomato Thokku recipe details card below:
- 3 ripe red tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tamarind, seeds removed. (you could use tamarind paste)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak), chopped
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 red chili (sookhi lal mirch)
- 10-12 curry leaves (kadi patta), chopped or whole
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder ( I used less amount, use more if you want the thokku to be spicy)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with tamarind.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till they sizzle and pop.
- Now add chopped ginger and fry till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
- Add the curry leaves and red chili. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, hing and red chili powder. Fry for 1-2 second.
- All the frying should be done on a low flame, so that the spices do not get burnt.
- Mix in the tomato-tamarind paste.
- Stir the mixture well. Season with salt.
- Simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, store tomato thokku in a clean, dry, airtight jar.
- The tomato thokku can be kept in the refrigerator and stored for 4-5 days.
how to make tomato thokku recipe :
- measure all the ingredients and keep everything ready.
2. in a blender, puree the 3 chopped tomatoes with 1 teaspoon tamarind without seed.
3. the tomato puree should be smooth. there is no need of adding water while grinding.
4. in a pan, heat oil.
5. add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and 1 teaspoon urad dal.
6. fry till they sizzle and pop.
7. now add 1/2 inch ginger, chopped.
8. fry till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
9. add 10 to 12 curry leaves and 1 dry red chili.
10. fry for a few seconds.
11. add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, a pinch of hing and 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder.
12. fry for 1-2 second.
13. all the frying should be done on a low flame, so that the spices do not get burnt. mix in the tomato-tamarind paste.
14. stir the mixture well.
15. season with salt.
16. simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
17. once cooled, store tomato thokku in a clean, dry, airtight jar. the tomato thokku can be kept in the refrigerator and stored for 4-5 days. serve tomato thokku warm or cold with dosa or idli.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes