I remember having readymade Mango Thokku a couple of times before. Never had Tomato Thokku. So decided to make it.
Its a simple recipe and I finished making it pretty soon. I checked for the recipe on some sites on the internet and then followed my own intuition and feeling to make the recipe.
Generally thokkus are made in large quantities, but I have made this tomato thokku recipe to go for some 3-4 days. Increase the ratio of ingredients proportionately, if you want to last it for weeks or months. Tomato Thokku can be stored in the refrigerator for nearly 2-3 weeks time.
Tomato Thokku recipe details are below:
- 3 ripe red tomatoes
- 1 tsp tamarind – seeds removed ( you could use tamarind paste)
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chili
- 10-12 curry leaves chopped or whole
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder ( I used less amount, use more if you want the thokku to be spicy)
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with tamarind.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till they sizzle and pop.
- Now add chopped ginger and fry till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
- Add the curry leaves and red chili. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, hing and red chili powder. Fry for 1-2 second.
- All the frying should be done on a low flame, so that the spices do not get burnt.
- Mix in the tomato-tamarind paste.
- Stir the mixture well. Season with salt.
- Simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, store tomato thokku in a clean, dry, airtight jar.
- The tomato thokku can be kept in the refrigerator and stored for 4-5 days.
Follow us on Social Media