thakkali thokku recipe
tomato thokku tecipe – a south indian style tomato pickle.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 3 medium to large ripe red tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tamarind, seeds removed. (you could use tamarind paste)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak), chopped
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 red chili (sookhi lal mirch)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta), chopped or whole
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder ( i used less amount, use more if you want the thokku to be spicy)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt as required
In a blender, puree the tomatoes with tamarind.
In a pan, heat oil. add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. fry till they sizzle and pop.
now add chopped ginger and fry till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
add the curry leaves and red chili. fry for a few seconds.
add turmeric powder, hing and red chili powder and mix very well.
all the frying should be done on a low flame, so that the spices do not get burnt.
add the tomato-tamarind paste and mix very well.
season with salt.
simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
once cooled, store tomato thokku in a clean, dry, airtight jar.
tomato thokku can be kept in the refrigerator and stored for 4 to 5 days.