tomato omelette recipe with step by step photos – here is a one omelette which does not have eggs in it. this tomato omelette is a savior when i am too busy or lazy for the morning breakfasts.
tomato omelette gets done in a jiffy and with some home made brown bread or ready made bread, one gets a healthy as well as nutritious breakfast. other variations are besan cheela, rava cheela and oats cheela recipe.
the tomatoes lend their faint umami flavor and along with the gram flour you get a warm & spiced omelette. here gram flour/besan is used as a base along with the regular indian herbs & spices. few more tomato recipes in the blog are tomato soup, tomato pulao, tomato biryani, tomato sambar and tomato rice recipe.
tomato omelette is best served hot with some toasted brown or white bread accompanied with a side coriander chutney or mint chutney or tomato sauce.
the tomato omelette makes for a good breakfast or brunch. you can also make sandwiches with them. in india, we have a club sandwich which has this omelette served between slices along with the other stuffings. its truly good and very filling. they usually serve the club sandwich this way in restaurants here.
tomato omelette recipe card below:
tomato omelette recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup gram flour/besan
- 2 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup coriander/cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- a pinch of garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder/haldi (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup water , or as required
- salt as required
- sunflower oil as required for cooking the omelette
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
- mix all the ingredients together, except oil.
- make a medium consistency batter.
- heat a tava or a flat pan.
smear some oil, about 1 teaspoon on the pan.
- with a large spoon pour the batter on the pan.
- spread it lightly with the back of the spoon.
- the technique is like the way we make pancakes.
- you can even rotate and tilt the pan.
- add some oil drops on the edges & top of the omelette.
- flip and cook the other side.
- cook the tomato omelette till both sides are cooked.
- serve tomato omelette with brown bread or buns and some coriander chutney or tomato sauce.
how to make tomato omelette recipe:
1. chop the onion and tomatoes. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the tomato omelettes.
2. take 1 cup besan (gram flour), 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped) along 2 medium sized tomatoes (finely chopped) in a big bowl or vessel.
3. next add ½ inch ginger (finely chopped), ¼ to ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves and 1 green chili (finely chopped). do chop all the ingredients finely. if chopped even in slightly larger pieces it becomes difficult to spread the omelette in the pan.
4. add 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, 1 pinch garam masala and salt as required.
5. add ½ cup water first. with a wired whisk begin to mix everything. the batter has to be of medium consistency.
6. mix and stir well. i used a wired whisk but you can also mix with a spoon.
7. if the batter is too thin then add some gram flour and if the batter is too thick then dilute with little water. i used about ½ cup of water. depending on the quality and texture of besan, addition of water will be more or less.
8. heat a tawa or a flat pan on low flame. smear some oil, about 1 teaspoon on the pan.
9. once the pan is hot reduce the flame. then with a large spoon pour the batter on the pan.
10. spread it gently with the back of the spoon. the technique is like the way we make pancakes. you can even rotate and tilt the pan.
11. add some oil drops on the edges & top of the omelette.
12. once the omelette is cooked from the top.
13. flip and cook the other side.
14. cook the tomato omelette till both sides are cooked and golden.
15. remove the omelettes on a serving plate.
16. make all the omelettes in the same manner with the leftover batter.
17. serve tomato omelette warm with toasted brown bread or buns and some coriander chutney or tomato sauce.