tofu bhurji or indian style scrambled tofu is what i make for a quick brunch or as a side dish.
the word bhurji means scrambled in english. here i have used regular tofu, but extra firm silken tofu would also work well.
in india egg bhurji and paneer bhurji are two famous recipes. they are often served in many restaurants almost all over india. they go very well with parathas or roti or the indian pav/rolls or even bread.
bhurji can be had a side dish accompanying the main course or even had as a breakfast, tiffin box lunch or brunch. i have a lot of memories of having both egg and paneer bhurji as my tiffin box meal with chapatis or breads. tofu was not heard in those days and not even available.
if you like tofu, then you will like this dish too. basically, this tofu bhurji is a veganized recipe of paneer bhurji. the cottage cheese is replaced with regular tofu and rest all of the ingredients are same. as a variation, you can also add boiled peas in this recipe. the recipe is good for vegans or people who have lactose intolerance.
a quick and easy recipe in which you have to fry the onions, green chili and saute the tomatoes and tofu. if you are quick enough, your dish is ready in 15 minutes.
serve tofu bhurji with brown bread or chapati/rotis and you have a nutritious breakfast or brunch.
tofu bhurji recipe details below:
- 200 gms regular tofu or extra firm silken tofu
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- a pinch of red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt as required
- scramble the tofu and keep aside.
- heat oil in a frying pan.
- first add the cumin and brown them.
- now add the onions and fry till they soften.
- add the ginger and green chilies and fry for some seconds.
- add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes become soft.
- sprinkle the turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and stir.
- add the scrambled tofu and stir well.
- saute for 3-4 minutes.
- season with salt.
- lastly add coriander leaves and stir them.
- serve tofu bhurji hot with some bread or rotis or as a side dish with dal-rice or veg curry-rice combo.