paneer paratha – one of the many popular paratha varieties from punjab. an all time favorite at home. i have a few more special punjabi parathas like methi paratha, aloo paratha, gobi paratha, onion paratha and mooli paratha
it is always better to make your own homemade paneer – cottage cheese and use it for any paneer dish that you make. so is the case with these paneer parathas. the paneer retains its freshness and softness even when cooked.
step by step recipe for making paneer paratha:
1: make a smooth dough with wheat flour and water. cover and keep aside. grate or finely crumble the paneer with your hands. if the paneer is soft it will crumble easily. add all the spice powders, chopped green chilies and salt to the paneer. mix well.
2: take two balls from the dough. sprinkle some wheat flour on the rolling board and make small pooris/rounds from both the balls.
3: now keep a portion of the paneer mixture on of the rolled round.
4: cover this one with the other round and pinch and seal the edges all around the circumference.
5: now sprinkle again some wheat flour lightly on the rolling board and roll the stuffed paneer paratha to about 6-7 inches in diameter.
6: heat a tava or flat griddle. place the stuffed paneer paratha on the hot griddle. let one side cook 1/4th. turn over and let the other side cook. apply ghee or oil on the top side. the other side which is facing the tava/pan should cook 1/2 (half) or a bit more than half.
7: turn over and apply ghee or oil on the other side.
turn over once or twice till the paneer paratha is cooked evenly and well browned. press the paneer paratha edges with the spatula to ensure they are cooked. if the paratha has been made really well it will puff up.
this way make all the paneer parathas and stack them in your roti box or in cuddle them up in a cotton kitchen napkin. you can also serve paratha’s directly straight from the tava or frying pan.
printable version of paneer paratha recipe is below:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 200 or 250 gms paneer
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp mango powder
- ¼ tsp or ½ tsp punjabi garam masala or garam masala powder
- salt or rock salt as required
- ghee or oil for frying the parathas
- make smooth dough with the whole wheat flour and enough water.
- cover and keep aside.
- grate or crumble the paneer with your hands.
- mix all the spice powders, green chilies and salt with the paneer.
- keep aside.
- take two balls from the parathas.
- roll them into two small rounds about 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
- place the paneer filling on one of the round.
- cover this with the other one.
- seal the edges.
- with some dusting flour sprinkles on the rolling board, roll the stuffed paratha to a size of about 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
- heat the griddle.
- fry the parathas on the griddle with ghee or oil till they are evenly browned and well cooked.
- in this way make all the paneer parathas.
- serve paneer paratha hot with yogurt or butter or your favorite pickle.