palak khichdi recipe – here is a one pot meal of mung lentils and rice khichdi with spinach (palak) and peanuts . easy to prepare as well as healthy and light on the stomach. in this palak khichdi, the addition of spinach and peanuts gives a lot of nutrition boost to the otherwise healthy khichdi.
this palak khichdi recipe was shared with me by my sister. in this recipe, i have included peanuts not only for the nutritional benefit but also for the nice texture they give to the otherwise smooth khichdi.
being from maharashtra, i am used to having peanuts in many recipes like poha and dry vegetable dishes. i also make a spicy and hot peanut – green chili mixture called as ‘thecha’ in marathi language. in fact, peanuts and cashews are two of my favorite ingredients to add crunch and texture to many recipes.
the palak khichdi has a consistency like that of a thick porridge and not like that of a pulao. you can easily adjust the consistency as per your preference by adding less or more water. its easy to digest and makes an excellent food for small kids and convalescing people. other similar recipes you can make with palak and rice is palak biryani and palak pulao recipe.
serve palak khichdi with plain curd/yogurt or raita or with pickle. there are few more khichdi recipes in the blog like bengali moong dal khichdi, vegetable khichdi, sabudana khichdi and moong dal khichdi recipe.
palak khichdi recipe below:
- 2 cups chopped palak/spinach
- ¼ or ⅓ cup raw peanuts
- ½ cup moong dal/yellow mung lentils
- ½ cup long grained rice or basmati rice
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 1 medium size potato, chopped
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- ½ tsp caraway seeds/shah jeera or cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ inch ginger + 3-4 garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a paste or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli/hari mirch, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing * check notes
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- pick and rinse both the rice and moong dal together. soak them together in enough water for about 30 mins.
- rinse the palak or spinach leaves well. chop them and then in a mixer or blender, make a smooth puree of the spinach adding very little water. keep the spinach puree aside.
- heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker. add the caraway seeds or cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and cardamoms.
- fry the whole spices for some seconds till they become fragrant. add the finely chopped onion and saute till they become golden.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and the chopped green chilies. saute for about 15-20 seconds or till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they begin to soften.
- add the turmeric powder and asafoetida and stir well.
- now add the peanuts, potatoes and saute for about 2 minutes.
- add the spinach puree and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
- strain the rice and moong dal and add them to the spinach mixture. stir well.
- pour 3.5 to 4 cups water. add salt and stir well.
- check the taste and if required add some more salt. pressure cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. check the consistency of the khichdi.
- if the khichdi looks thick, then you can add some hot water and simmer for a few minutes.
- remember to stir often as otherwise the khichdi gets stuck at the bottom. if the khichdi appears thin, then simmer till you get the desired consistency.
- while serving, pour the palak khichdi in bowls or plates and top with ½ to 1 tsp of ghee.
- serve the palak khichdi hot with plain curd/yogurt or raita or a simple vegetable salad.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media