mushroom fried rice recipe – an indo chinese recipe of fried rice with mushrooms. easy to cook and too good to taste.
one of those quick stir fried rice dishes that i love to make, especially when i have fresh celery at home. i cannot stress enough the flavors that celery bring into a chinese dish and i always recommend to use them when making any indo chinese food at home.
if you do not have celery, then you can easily replace coriander/cilantro with celery. the flavors which coriander will impart will surely be different, still the rice would taste great.
mushroom fried rice recipe is simple and can be quick too if you have some leftover rice. the whole dish is stir fried at a high flame and thats what imparts a restaurant like flavor in this dish. a lot of handwork is required when making this recipe. best is to use a wok or a pan with handles as when the heat becomes too high, you just lift the pan from the fire and then again keep it back while stir frying the ingredients by shaking the pan. few more similar recipes on blog are veg fried rice, schezwan fried rice and paneer fried rice recipe.
mushroom fried rice recipe below:
- 1 cup or 1.25 cups basmati or long grained rice
- 200-250 gms white button mushrooms
- 2-3 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 medium onion or 2-3 spring onions, chopped finely
- ¾ to 1 tbsp chopped celery
- 1 tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- salt and black pepper as required
- first rinse the rice till the water runs clear of the starch.
- then cook the rice in 5 cups of water with a few drops of oil and some salt. the rice should be cooked al dente or just cooked.
- don't cook the rice till it becomes mushy or too soft. drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
- after the initial steam passes from the rice, cover the colander with a lid.
- let the rice cool completely before you add it to the mushrooms.
- heat oil in a wok or kadai. add the garlic and onions first and stir fry for 2 mins on a high flame.
- then add the chopped mushrooms and stir fry for 5-6 mins or more on a high flame till the mushrooms begins to get lightly browned from the edges.
- first the whole mixture will become watery as mushrooms will release water and slowly slowly the water will evaporate and you will see oil floating in the mixture.
- when the mushrooms start to become lightly browned, then add the celery and stir fry for a minute.
- add soy sauce, black pepper and salt.
- stir and then add the rice. stir gently but briskly. stir fry the rice for 2-3 minutes.
- serve the mushroom fried rice hot garnished with celery or spring onion greens with a side indo chinese vegetable dish like veg balls in hot garlic sauce, sweet and sour vegetables, veg manchurian.
2. substitute fresh coriander/cilantro leaves if you do not have celery.