I came across this Upma recipe in a booklet, I received with my microwave cooker. I tried some of the recipes, listed there and the results were good.
So i thought of trying upma recipe also from this book and as per my expectations the upma turned out to be very good. Now i have tried this upma recipe many times and it has never failed me. My hubby who is from north india has slowly become fond of upma now :-). We usually have upma with tea and coconut chutney or sambar.
Making upma in microwave takes a little less time than making the upma in the traditional way. But I prefer the traditional method. I have already posted the recipe for making upma in the usual way and here is its link: Rava Upma. You can also check Rice Sevai Upma, Oats Upma, Vermicelli Upma and Poha Upma Recipe.
Microwave Upma Recipe Below:
- 1 cup semolina (sooji or rava)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger/adrak, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 6 to 7 cashews/kaju
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- Roast the semolina (sooji, rawa) in a microwave safe bowl or microwave cooker on high power for 3 minutes. Remove in a plate and keep aside. The rava should become fragrant.
- Take oil in the same container. Add mustard seeds and micro high for 1 minute. If the mustard seeds do not crackle, then microwave for half a minute to 1 minute more.
- Add chopped onions, green chilly, curry leaves, cashew nuts and micro high for 1 minute.
- Add water, add salt and micro high for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted rava. Cover with the lid and micro high for 3 minutes.
- Give a standing time for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve upma hot with coconut chutney or sambar.
The microwave timings differ with various oven models. So do give an extra time if the ingredients are not cooked enough.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media