I came across this Upma recipe in a booklet, I received with my microwave cooker. I tried some of the recipes, listed there and the results were good.
So i thought of trying upma recipe also from this book and as per my expectations the upma turned out to be very good. Now i have tried this upma recipe many times and it has never failed me. My hubby who is from north india has slowly become fond of upma now :-). We usually have upma with tea and coconut chutney or sambar.
Making upma in microwave takes a little less time than making the upma in the traditional way. I have already posted the recipe for making upma in the usual way and here is its link: Upma – A South Indian Breakfast Recipe and also the vermicelli upma recipe.
Microwave Upma Recipe Below:
- 1 cup semolina (sooji, rawa)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green chilly
- 2 and half cups water
- a few chopped cilantro or coriander leaves
- 1 tsp soaked urad dal
- 1 tsp soaked chana dal
- a few sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 cashew nuts
- 3 tbsp oil
- Roast the semolina (sooji, rawa) in a microwave safe bowl or microwave cooker on high power for 3 minutes. Remove in a plate.
- Take oil in the same container. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and micro high for 1 minute.
- Add chopped onions, green chilly, cashew nuts, urad and chana dal. Add water, add salt and micro high for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted rawa. Cover with the lid and micro high for 3 minutes.
- Give a standing time for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve upma hot with coconut chutney or sambar.