mango shrikhand or amrakhand recipe with step by step photos – shrikhand is a very common yogurt based sweet dish. we always have shrikhand with pooris. even plain, the mango shrikhand tastes so good.
for making any shrikhand, always use fresh yogurt. home made yogurt is the best. i have made the recipe with homemade yogurt. the fresh homemade curd is used to make hung curd. for a detailed step-wise method, you can read this post – how to make hung curd.
i have used double the quantities of mangoes for the shrikhand and hence the mango shrikhand was not thick like the store brought ones. also i removed the yogurt after some 2.5 hours as i was in a hurry to make the amrakhand…. just coz, so that i can take the photos in day light.
i wanted a lot of mangoes in the shrikhand and hence this recipe. no artificial color or flavorings have been used in the shrikhand.
i flavored the shrikhand with some crushed cardamom seeds and saffron. the amount of sugar to be added depends on the sweetness of the mangoes. these mangoes are the local goan mangoes and they were so sweet. so i ended up adding less sugar. you can also check kesar elaichi shrikhand recipe.
amrakhand or mango shrikhand recipe below:
- 3 to 3.5 cup curd (yogurt or dahi) or curd made from half a litre of milk
- 2 mangoes, chopped (aam)
- 4-5 green cardamom, crushed (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 pinch saffron strands (kesar)
- ½ cup sugar or as required
- hung the curd in a muslin, cheese cloth or kitchen napkin for 3-4 hours.
- puree the mangoes.
- add the thick hung curd to the blender along with crushed cardamom, saffron and sugar.
- blend till smooth
- pour shrikhand in individual serving bowls.
- chill and serve the amrakhand with some pooris or just have it plain.
1. measuring cup used for ingredients is: 1 cup = 250 ml.
2. you can make any other shrikhand in a similar way.
3. even dry fruits of your choice can be added to this shrikhand.
4. you can also use tinned mangoes or mango pulp.
step by step mango shrikhand or amrakhand recipe:
1: first take the curd in a cheese cloth or muslin or kitchen napkin.
2: now tie the cloth and hung the curd for 3-4 hours. the whey will drip, so keep a bowl or pan below to collect the whey.
3: after 3-4 hours you will get a thick yogurt.
4: chop the mangoes and puree them. i have collected the puree in a bowl just for the pic.
5: in the same blender with the mango puree in it, add this thick hung yogurt. also add sugar, crushed cardamom and saffron.
6: blend till the whole mixture is smooth.
7: serve mango shrikhand in bowls and chill. you can also serve shrikhand directly with some pooris or just have it plain.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media