chawal ki kheer recipe – i had made this rice kheer recipe with leftover cooked rice and the kheer was so good that i thought of sharing on the blog.
normally rice kheer is made from uncooked rice unlike this recipe where i am using leftover cooked rice. this recipe is a good way to use leftover cooked rice in a delicious way. there are some more recipes already shared on the blog with leftover cooked rice – idli with cooked rice, appams without yeast, masala rice, lemon rice, rice cutlet.
the rice kheer is known by different names. in north india, this dessert is called as rice kheer, in south india it is called as payasam, while in the west, it is called as rice pudding. rice kheer is served as a dessert in many other countries including the middle-east, south-east regions. the flavoring ingredients that they use are the ones locally available and vary from one place to place.
the difference in the indian rice kheer and the western rice pudding is use of different flavoring agents. the flavoring agents used in India for rice kheer are cardamom powder, saffron and dry fruits like raisins, almonds, cashews are added. whereas the flavoring agents used in the west are vanilla essence, cinnamon powder. raisins are also added. in this recipe salt is also added. some folks even add eggs whilst some top it with whipped cream while serving.
the rice kheer that i made, used some of the spices mentioned above and the kheer turned out to be an creamy and delicious, which everyone in my family liked. i made this recipe from leftover basmati rice. you could either use leftover rice or cook some rice and then use it.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“. another option, is to occasionally show interest in our facebook page updates by liking, sharing or commenting in the facebook post. thanks for your continuous support and cooperation.
rice kheer or chawal ki kheer recipe below:
- 1 cup leftover cooked basmati rice or any good quality cooked rice
- 2 to 2.5 cups milk
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp sugar or more if preferred
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder/dal chini powder
- ¼ tsp green cardamom powder/elaichi powder
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp sliced almonds/badam, cashews/kaju and raisins/kishamish
- 1 tsp charoli or chironji (optional)
- mix the leftover rice, milk, sugar, salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or non stick pan and cook on a low to medium flame. keep on stirring.
- after 5 minutes, add the cardamom and cinnamon powder.
- lower the flame and let the pudding cook for 15-20 minutes or till it starts to thicken. Keep on stirring after every few minutes.
- when the rice kheer becomes slightly thick, then add the sliced almonds, cashewnuts and raisins.
- you can either serve the rice kheer hot or cold. If serving cold, pour the pudding in small serving bowls. refrigerate them and serve rice kheer when cool.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media