various sundals can be made with different legumes or lentils like black eyed peas, sweet corn, moong beans, bengal gram, peanuts. more or less the method to prepare sundal is same with minor variations here and there.
i have soaked the dried black chickpeas overnight so that they become easier to pressure cook. whenever i am making any dish from chickpeas or rajma, i soak them for 8–9 hours or overnight. soaked chickpeas are easier and faster to cook.
sundals are healthy and guilt free snacks which you can have any time of the day. you can have them as an accompaniment with your meals too.
kala chana sundal recipe below:
- ½ cup black chickpeas (kala chana)
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the black chickpeas
- ¾ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ¾ teaspoon spilt and skinned black gram (urad dal)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 dry red chili, kept whole or halved and deseeded
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)- optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or peanut oil
- rock salt as required
- soak the kala chana or black chickpeas overnight.
- next day, in the same soaked water, cook the chana in a pressure cooker till they are completely cooked. add more water if required in the cooker.
- add salt too when cooking the chana. then strain the kala chana and keep aside.
- don't drain the stock. it is rich in nutrients and can be used for making chapatis or added to breads, curries and even dals.
- heat oil in a pan. add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- the mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
- they almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
- immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. fry for 10-15 seconds.
- now add the cooked black chana and salt. stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- switch off the flame and add the coconut. sprinkle the lemon juice. stir well.
- serve the black chana sundal as prashad or naivedyam.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media