dates & walnut cake has always been a favorite. during christmas or easter. we would always buy the cakes ready from the bakeries. the eggless dates walnut coffee cake i had wanted to make from so long. i had dates as well as walnuts but never got to making a cake with them.
finally i made this eggless dates walnut coffee cake and it was so good. now since i bake often, i am getting better in making cakes too. this recipe is not adapted from anywhere. i had earlier made mango cake and i chose the mango cake recipe as a base to make this dates walnut coffee cake.
since i was not sure how the cake would finally turn out, i did not take step by step pics. on the same day i had also baked a fruit bread which was also super. will be posting the fruit bread recipe soon as well as the mango cake.
apart from flavors of dates, walnuts, i have also added instant bru coffee. some cacao nibs also went in the cake. overall the cake was one delicious cake with a coffee and chocolaty taste.
however, adding coffee and cacao nibs are optional and you can just make the cake with walnuts and dates. but then coffee adds it own charm and flavor to the cake. you can easily add small chocolate chips in the cake instead of cacao nibs.
cacao nibs are pieces of raw cocoa beans that have been shelled and roasted. they are crunchy and taste a bit like coffee as well as chocolate. they are an excellent source of anti oxidants, fibre and have a lot of nutrients. i purchased the navitas natural organic cacao from here.
i found them expensive, but any imported stuff will be expensive in india…. and for health reasons, i don’t mind spending some extra money. also this is not a affiliate link… meaning i am not going to earn anything if you buy the cacao nibs. i am just sharing with you in case you want to buy these nibs in india.
so this eggless dates walnut coffee cake is healthy as i also added 75% whole wheat flour in the cake and with the dates and the walnuts in it. the recipe is easy to make. even a novice in baking can make this cake and get full marks. here i have added homemade soy milk in the cake. but you can add regular milk, cashew milk or even almond milk.
so you can have your cake and eat it too!!!
eggless dates walnut coffee cake recipe below:
- 11/2 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- ½ cup all purpose flour/maida
- ½ cup cold pressed organic sunflower oil or any good vegetable oil
- ¾ cup organic unrefined cane sugar or organic demerara sugar (adjust as per your taste preferences)
- 1 cup soy milk or regular milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup seedless dates
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs or small chocolate chips – if adding choco chips, then adjust the sugar accordingly
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- chop the dates and walnuts and keep aside.
- line or grease a cake pan.
- then heat the milk and switch off the flame.
- add the coffee powder and stir.
- add the dates. stir and allow the dates to be in the milk for some 15-20 minutes or more.
- begin the process of sieving both the whole wheat flours and all purpose flour with salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- now you can preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/392 F.
- take the seived flour mixture in a large bowl.
- add the sugar & vanilla powder and mix.
- add the soaked dates along with the milk, 1 cup water, walnuts and oil.
- mix with an electric beater at medium to high speed till the whole batter is uniform and mixed evenly. don’t overdo the mixing.
- pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- with the help of a rubber spatula remove the batter from the sides of the bowl and add it to the cake pan.
- shake the cake pan from the sides.
- place in the pre heated oven.
- bake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until the a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- serve the dates walnut coffee cake warm with some tea or coffee.
- the remaining cake can be kept in an air-tight box and refrigerated.