dahi aloo tikki recipe with step by step photos – a popular street food snack from north india. dahi aloo tikki recipe is easy to prepare and assemble if you have the other side ingredients ready like green chutney and saunth or sweet tamarind chutney.
you can even skip the green chutney and just add the sweet tamarind chutney. i have mentioned the chutney recipes in the recipe details in case you want to make them at home. you can also use readymade sweet tamarind sauce or chutney.
i have also added homemade papdis (crisp fried flour discs) to the dahi aloo tikki. you can even add sev (crisp fried gram flour vermicelli). in the step by step pics, i am sharing the pics of making the tikkis. you can click on the sweet tamarind chutney post to see the step by step pics….and this green chutney recipe.
dahi aloo tikki recipe below:
dahi aloo tikki recipe - a popular street food snack of potato patties topped with yogurt, sweet tamarind chutney, green chutney and spice blends.
- 2 medium large potatoes (aloo)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder or as required (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or as required (kali mirch powder)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon rice flour or corn flour (corn starch)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil for frying the potato patties
- black salt or rock salt as required
- ½ cup curd (yogurt or dahi)
- saunth or sweet tamarind chutney as required
- green chutney as required
- chaat masala as required
- red chili powder as required (lal mirch powder)
- roasted cumin powder as required (bhuna jeera powder)
- a few papdis as required
- black salt or regular salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- ½ cup tamarind tightly packed (imli)
- 1.75 cups water
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder (saunth)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 7 to 8 tablespoon jaggery or as required – adjust as per your taste
- rock salt or black salt or regular salt as required
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cups coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 or 1.5 teaspoon anardana (dry pomegranate seeds ) OR ½ to 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- ½ tablespoon chopped onion (optional)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves (lahsun)
- salt as required
- water as required
- first steam or boil the potatoes in a steamer or pressure cooker till they are completely cooked.
- when the potatoes are still warm, peel them.
- chop and add them in a mixing bowl or pan.
- also add all the spiced powders mentioned above and salt.
- with a fork or with a potato masher, mash the potato mixture well.
- make round shaped tikkis or patties with the mixture.
- heat oil in a tava or frying pan.
- place the potato tikkis on the tava.
- fry the tikkis on a medium hot tava till they become golden and crisp from both sides. depending on the size of the tava or frying pan, you fry the tikkis in batches.
- when the tikkis are frying, you can whisk the curd/yogurt till its smooth.
- remove the tikkis and place them in a serving plate.
- pour 2 to 3 tbsp of the whipped yogurt on the aloo tikkis.
- top with a few teaspoons of the green chutney and the tamarind chutney as required.
- sprinkle one or two pinches of the chaat masala, red chili powder, roasted chumin powder, chaat masala powder and salt.
- lastly crush some papdis and sprinkle them on top.
- you can garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- serve the dahi aloo tikki immediately.
- soak tamarind in water overnight or for 4-5 hours in a small bowl or pan.
- with your hands, squeeze the pulp from the tamarind in the same bowl or pan.
- strain the pulp and keep aside.
- heat oil in a small pan.
- lower the flame & add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- add ginger powder, red chili powder, asafoetida.
- stir and add the strained tamarind pulp
- cook for 2-3 mins.
- add the jaggery and salt and cook for 4-5 mins more.
- the mixture would thicken.
- let the saunth chutney mixture cool.
- when cooled, store the saunth chutney in an air-tight dry jar or container in the refrigerator.
- grind all the ingredients mentioned under the green chutney list with little water.
- remove and keep aside in a small bowl.
- refrigerate the chutney if not using.
- stays good for 2-3 days.
step by step dahi aloo tikki recipe:
1: take the boiled diced potatoes, cumin powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder and salt.
2: mash the potato mixture with a potato masher. take equal portions of the potato mixture and make round flat patties from the same. heat oil in a tava or frying pan and place the tikkis on the pan.
3: pan fry the aloo tikkis till golden and crisp on both sides.
5: serve the dahi aloo tikki immediately.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes