chana dal fry recipe - here is a recipe of a dal curry that i make often with chana dal.
chana dal is a favorite at home. sometimes i add chana dal to vegetables like in this cabbage upkari and sometimes to rice to make this awesome chana dal biryani or chana dal khichdi and most of the times i make this simple chana dal fry.
chana dal is also known as bengal gram. these lentils have a sweet and nutty taste. chana dal is got from black chickpeas (kala chana). they are spilt and the outer cover is removed. these lentils are also powdered to give besan or gram flour.
the flavors & taste of this chana dal fry is north indian and the preparation is like the way we make in punjabi households.
for faster cooking of the chana dal, its best to soak them in water for an hour. you can cook the dal in a pressure cooker or in a pan. the chana dal should be cooked soft, so that it is easy to digest.
chana dal recipe details below:
- ¾ cup chana dal/bengal gram
- 2.5 or 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp turmeric/haldi
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- 1 or 1.5 tsp kasoori methi/dry methi leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- a few coriander/cilantro leaves for garnishing
- pick and rinse the chana dal well. soak the dal for an hour.
- drain and pressure cook the chana dal with water and turmeric powder till they are soft and well cooked.
- heat oil or ghee. add the cumin first and fry for a few seconds.
- add the garlic and fry till they become light brown.
- now add the onions and fry till they get golden.
- now add the tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
- stir and add all the dry spice powders.
- saute till the tomatoes get cooked and the oil starts to leave the side of the mixture.
- add the kasoori methi and fry for some seconds. pour this tempering mixture on the dal.
- stir and simmer the dal for 5-7 minutes till you get medium consistency of the dal. the dal is neither thick nor thin.
- garnish chana dal with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve the chana dal hot with some basmati rice or rotis or bread.
to make the dal gluten free, omit adding the asafoetida/hing.