eggless vanilla cake recipe with step by step photos. i tried different ways of making an eggless basic vanilla cake but never came to a perfect texture.
most of the times when i make eggless cakes, i use the mixture of vinegar + baking soda. the reaction of vinegar with baking soda releases carbon dioixide and this aerates the batter which helps in leavening the cake. so i tried making an eggless version of this vanilla cake using this reaction principle and it worked. apart from these two, i have also used yogurt and melted butter in the cake.
hence, this vanilla cake is moist, soft and makes a good base for cakes & gateau - like black forest, pineapple cream cake, strawberry cream cake or chocolate cream cake.
i made this eggless vanilla cake twice. first time i made a strawberry cream cake gateau. next time i made a strawberry jam glaze and spread it all over the cake and to my surprise, both the cakes got over soon. so a lesson learned – if the cake is good, it will get finished up soon
lets start step by step eggless vanilla cake recipe:
1. first sift the all purposed flour/maida with the baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan.
2. take 1/2 cup melted butter and add sugar to it. stir and keep aside.
3. now in a measuring cup or in a small bowl, whisk 4 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp water till smooth. add 1 tbsp vinegar. then add the baking soda and stir. the bubbly reaction below.
4. pour the butter+sugar mixture and 1/2 cup water in the sieved flour.
5. immediately pour the bubbling & foaming yogurt+vinegar+baking soda and add vanilla essence.
6. be quick enough to stir and fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. don’t mix or stir. use the folding technique. make a lump free batter. don’t over do the the folding. pour the batter in a greased baking pan.
7. bake the vanilla cake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. in my oven it took 38 mins for the vanilla cake to bake.
8. let the cake stand at room temperature for 7-8 minutes. then with the help of oven mitts, gently remove the vanilla cake on a wired tray or rack.
when the vanilla cake cools, then you can serve the eggless vanilla cake plain or use this vanilla cake as a base to make pastries or gateaus.
eggless vanilla cake recipe below:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour/maida
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup melted butter or oil
- ¾ cup organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar - add as required * check notes
- 3 tbsp yogurt/curd (dairy or vegan) + 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder or half of a vanilla bean, scraped
- first sift the all purposed flour/maida with the baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan.
- just keep everything ready as you have to be quick enough to mix the batter.
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- grease a 6 or 7 inches pan with butter or oil.
- you can also line the pan with butter paper and then grease the butter paper with oil or butter.
- now take some butter and melt it in a small pan or microwave.
- you need to get about ½ cup of melted butter.
- just melt the butter. no need to heat it.
- when the butter is still warm or a bit hot, add the sugar to the melted butter.
- stir and mix well.
- keep aside.
- now in a measuring cup or in a small bowl, whisk the 3 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp water till smooth.
- add 1 tbsp vinegar.
- then add the baking soda and stir.
- pour the butter+sugar mixture, ½ cup water and the frothing yogurt+vinegar+baking soda into the sieved flour.
- add vanilla extract.
- be quick enough to fold and make a lump free batter.
- don't over do the folding.
- pour the batter in the greased baking pan.
- shake and tap the sides of the pan so that air bubbles are released.
- place the pan in the preheated oven in the center rack.
- keep the heating in both the bottom and top elements of the oven on.
- bake at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- if the vanilla cake browns too quickly on the top, then cover the top with an aluminium foil or butter paper.
- once done let the vanilla cake stand at room temperature for 7-8 minutes.
- then with the help of oven mitts, gently remove the vanilla cake on a wired tray or rack.
- once the vanilla cake cools, you can serve the eggless vanilla cake as it is or use the vanilla cake to make pastries or gateau.