eggless vanilla cake recipe with step by step photos. this eggless vanilla cake has a soft and moist texture. it also tastes very good and thus makes for a good base for making cream cakes and & gateau.
i used this cake to make strawberry cream cake gateau and pineapple cake. for this recipe post, i had made a strawberry jam glaze and spread it all over the cake. to my surprise, the cake got over soon. so a lesson learned – if the cake is good, it will get finished up soon 🙂
most of the times when i make eggless cakes, i use the mixture of vinegar + baking soda. the reaction of vinegar with baking soda releases carbon dioxide and this aerates the batter which helps in leavening the cake. so i tried making an eggless version of this vanilla cake using this reaction principle and it worked. apart from these two, i have also used curd (yogurt) and melted butter in the cake.
eggless vanilla cake recipe below:
eggless vanilla cake recipe
eggless vanilla cake recipe - an easy recipe to make a basic vanilla eggless cake
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup melted butter or oil
- ¾ cup regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar - add as required * check notes
- 4 tablespoon curd (yogurt or dahi) + 1 tablespoon water ( you can use dairy curd or vegan curd)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (substitute is 1 tablespoon lime juice)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla powder or half of a vanilla bean - scraped
how to make recipe
preparation for eggless vanilla cake:
- first sift the all purposed flour/maida with the baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan.
- just keep everything ready as you have to be quick enough to mix the batter.
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- grease a 6 or 7 inches pan with butter or oil.
- you can also line the pan with butter paper and then grease the butter paper with oil or butter.
- now take some butter and melt it in a small pan or microwave.
- you need to get about 1/2 cup of melted butter.
- just melt the butter. no need to heat it.
- when the butter is still warm or a bit hot, add the sugar to the melted butter.
stir and mix well. keep aside.
- now in a measuring cup or in a small bowl, whisk the 4 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp water till smooth.
add 1 tbsp vinegar. then add the baking soda and stir.
- pour the butter+sugar mixture, 1/2 cup water and the frothing yogurt+vinegar+baking soda into the sieved flour.
- add vanilla extract.
- be quick enough to fold and make a lump free batter.
- don't over do the folding.
- pour the batter in the greased baking pan.
- shake and tap the sides of the pan so that air bubbles are released.
baking eggless vanilla cake:
- place the pan in the preheated oven in the center rack.
- keep the heating in both the bottom and top elements of the oven on.
bake the vanilla cake at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- if the vanilla cake browns too quickly on the top, then cover the top with an aluminium foil or butter paper.
- once done let the vanilla cake stand at room temperature for 7-8 minutes.
- then with the help of oven mitts, gently remove the vanilla cake on a wired tray or rack.
- once the vanilla cake cools, you can serve the eggless vanilla cake as it is or use the vanilla cake to make pastries or gateau.
- * to make the vanilla cake less sweet, you can add ½ cup of sugar. i have made the cake with half a cup of sugar, since i was going to use a very sweet strawberry jam glaze, it worked perfectly. however, if just having the vanilla cake plain, then go with ¾ cup of sugar or add as per your taste preferences.
- method for strawberry jam glaze - just heat about 2 to 3 tbsp jam with 1/2 tbsp water and 1 or 2 tsp corn starch till the mixture thickens. then spread this icing on the cake and layer with a flat spatula.
this rough nutrition info is per serving:
lets start step by step eggless vanilla cake recipe:
1. first sift 1.5 cups all purposed flour/maida with 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan.
2. take ½ cup melted butter (or oil) and add ¾ cup sugar to it. stir and keep aside.
3. now in a measuring cup or in a small bowl, whisk 4 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp water till smooth. add 1 tbsp vinegar. then add ½ tsp baking soda and stir. the bubbly reaction in the picture below.
4. pour the butter+sugar mixture and ½ cup water in the sieved flour.
5. immediately pour the bubbling & foaming yogurt+vinegar+baking soda and add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
6. be quick enough to fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a spatula. don’t mix or stir. use the folding technique. to see how folding is done, you can check this youtube video. make a lump free batter. don’t over do the the folding. pour the batter in a greased baking pan.
7. bake the vanilla cake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. in my oven it took 38 mins for the vanilla cake to bake.
8. let the cake stand at room temperature for 7-8 minutes. then with the help of oven mitts, gently remove the vanilla cake on a wired tray or rack.
when the vanilla cake cools, then you can serve the eggless vanilla cake plain or use this vanilla cake as a base to make pastries or gateaus.