aloo tikki chole recipe with step by step photos – aloo tikki chole is a popular street food of north india. aloo tikki are spiced potato patties. sometimes they are stuffed with various fillings. whereas chole is a spicy and hot north indian chickpea curry.
the duo of the crisp plus golden potato patties and the spicy chickpea curry is always served with coriander – mint chutney and tamarind-dates chutney. sometimes shredded cabbage, carrots, chopped onions and cucumber raita or carrot raita are also served.
the first time i had aloo tikki chole chaat was at punjabi ghasitaram halwai‘s shop in mumbai. now after having the mumbai ragda patties, the simple to look at aloo tikki chole was a bursting of so many flavors and tastes in the mouth. i couldn’t believe what i was eating. it was soooo good. in fact i loved it more than ragda patties and my favorite pani puri.
the aloo tikki chole served at the shop was a stuffed aloo tikki with chana dal filling. the two golden browned crisp large tikkis were served with spicy chole with toppings of tamarind-dates chutney and green chutney – again the whole thing topped with onions and chaat masala. everything about that aloo tikki chole was perfect. the tikkis were too large that the whole plate was so filling.
they had newly opened their shop and the stuff was too good in the beginning. later when i have had the tikkis there, it was a disappointment. it was not the trademark delhi style aloo tikki. something had gone wrong.
so after moving to delhi, there have been many occasions when we would buy or have aloo tikki chole. and each halwai or shop had their own stamp of taste and flavor on the aloo tikki chole. it is difficult to get the recipes out from them as the recipes are a part of their business lineage and a well guarded secret.
as a norm, when i make chole, i always make some extra. so the next day we have the chole with aloo tikkis or i make toast sandwiches from them. a chole sandwich is too good and you must try making one.
so when i had made the amritsari chole, i served the chole next day with the aloo tikki. i made plain tikkis. the tikkis by themselves were so good and with the amritsari chole, it was a double dose of deliciousness.
now these tikkis can also be served plain with some sauce or chutney. they also can be stuffed in burgers, pita breads or even sandwiches. since the flavor of the tikki is indianised, while adding in the burgers or breads, use indian flavored spicy or sweet chutneys or spice mixes or herbs. you can even use veggies like sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, boiled beetroots or cabbage. you can also check this veggie burger recipe.
this is a step by step recipe for making the aloo tikkis. for the step by step of amritsari chole recipe you can have a look here.
aloo tikki chole recipe below:
- 3 or 4 medium size potatoes (aloo)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel (saunf powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon corn flour/corn starch
- 1 or 2 tablespoon oil for frying the tikkis
- salt or black salt or rock salt as required
- 1 bowl of amritsari chole or punjabi chole or chana
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ½ cup mint coriander chutney or coriander chutney
- ½ cup tamarind dates chutney
- chaat masala as required
- red chili powder as required (optional)
- lemon juice as required (optional)
- boil or steam the potatoes first till they are cooked till soft.
- peel the potatoes when they are still warm and then mash them.
- add all the spice powders listed above including salt.
- add the corn flour as well. stir and mix well.
- make medium sized patties from the potato mixture.
- shallow fry or pan fry till the patties are crisp and browned.
- serve with chole/chickpea curry topped with both the mint-coriander chutney and tamarind-dates chutney.
- also add some chopped onions, chaat masala and sev.
- you can also add some yogurt if you want.
- serve aloo tikki chole immediately.
recipe makes 7 to 8 tikkis
how to make aloo tikki chole recipe:
1: boil or steam the aloos first till they are cooked well. then peel and chop the aloos when they are still warm, in a plate or bowl. with a aloo masher, mash the potatoes.
2: add all the spice powders and salt.
3: add corn flour.
4: mix the whole mixture well.
5: take medium sized portions from the aloo mixture and flatten into round patties.
6: in a shallow frying pan or tava, heat oil. place the tikkis in the frying pan.
7: keep on turning them after intervals and fry them till golden brown and crisp.
8: in a plate or bowl take the amritsari chole or punjabi chole masala.
9: place the aloo tikkis.
11: garnish aloo tikki chole with coriander leaves and serve aloo tikki chole immediately and enjoy a hot plate of aloo tikki chole in these cold winters.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes