Restaurant style vegetable biryani recipe with step by step photos – Biryani is my most favorite rice based dish. If I have to have biryani everyday, I won’t mind it at all.
This restaurant style veg biryani was first posted three years back. That time, I always would make the Hyderabadi veg dum biryani or my mom’s version of the biryani at home.
I had never experimented or tried any other version of vegetable biryani. I came across this biryani recipe in Nita Mehta’s cookbook – “Taste of Amritsar vegetarian”. I gave it a try and adapted the recipe to suit our taste buds. What I liked in the recipe was the use of freshly ground biryani masala.
Also, there were no tomatoes, chilies or turmeric in this version. Three ingredients that always go in my cooking. I was like, biryani without tomatoes & chilies & turmeric. How it would be??? and I was wrong. The biryani proved me wrong.
One of the best biryanis i have had and was truly restaurant style. The veg gravy was not wet like is the case with homemade biryanis, but a bit dry as we get in the restaurants. The biryani is not at all spicy but has a subtle hint of sweetness in it.
The flavors of the freshly ground biryani masala as well as the caramelized/browned onions are a hallmark in this biryani and bring out the best in the whole dish. Yes, Birista or fried browned onions is used in this recipe.
By now I have made this biryani many times. I have made the recipe, both with dairy yogurt and cashew yogurt. When made with cashew yogurt, no one, including me, could make out the difference that it was made in cashew yogurt.
This biryani made with freshly ground masala taste awesome and I had to share it with all of you. I served the biryani with onion tomato raita.
A long process of making the restaurant-style biryani but worth it. The ingredients are simple and easily available in the kitchen apart from mint leaves and saffron. So do have some mint leaves before hand. For saffron substitute, you can add a pinch of turmeric in some milk or water and then add it on the rice layers.
I cannot imagine my food without green chilies or red chili powder. So I had to add red chili powder in the biryani. So for this Diwali, why not make this biryani and impress your family, friends and guests.
I will be making this Restaurant style biryani on Diwali again. It has become a favorite dish at home.
Vegetable biryani with freshly ground biryani masala
1. Rinse 1.5 cups (200 grams) basmati rice very well in water. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. when the rice is soaking, chop all the veggies and keep aside.
2. Prepare the biryani masala. these are the spices that we will be using for the freshly ground biryani masala – 1 inch cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 4 green cardamoms and a single blade of mace/javitri (not the whole mace. Mace is a strong spice).
3. Add these in a small grinder or spice grinder and grind to a powder. Keep aside.
4. After 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
5. Heat 5 cups water. When the water becomes hot, then add the following spices – 3 to 4 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 medium size tej patta (Indian bay leaf), 2 star anise and 1 black cardamom.
6. On a high flame, bring the water to a boil. Then add the rice. Also add ¾ tsp salt or as per taste.
7. Cook the rice on high flame till the rice is 75% cooked.
8. There should be a slight bite in the rice or they should be al dente.
9. Drain the rice in a colander. Keep aside. You can also check how to cook Basmati rice for biryani.
Making vegetable gravy for biryani
1. Whisk or beat 1 cup fresh yogurt (200 grams) till smooth. Keep aside.
2. Heat 3 to 4 tbsp oil or ghee in a pan. Add 2 cups thinly sliced onions.
3. Stir and saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
4. saute the onions with frequent stirring till they become golden brown.
5. Keep the flame to a low. Then remove ¼ cup fried onions from this and keep aside.
6. Then add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste. Stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
7. Then add the freshly ground biryani masala. Stir.
8. Add the veggies.
9. Stir and mix very well.
10. Then add the fresh curd.
11. Add ½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder.
12. Stir the gravy mixture very well.
13. Add ½ cup of water.
14. Add salt as per taste.
15. Pressure cook for 1 whistle on a medium flame. If cooking in a pot, then cook till the veggies are done. Don’t over cook the veggies. when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and check the gravy. If the veggies are not cooked well, then keep the cooker on the stove top and simmer the gravy without the lid, till the veggies are cooked. If there is too much of water or stock in the gravy, then simmer till some water dries up. The gravy should have a medium or slightly thick consistency and should not be very watery.
Assembling and layering vegetable biryani
16. In a small bowl take 2 tbsp warm milk. Add a few saffron strands and mix well. Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
17. The gravy is ready and done. in another thick bottomed pan, add half of the vegetable gravy.
18. Layer with half of the rice.
19. Sprinkle half of the fried onions along with chopped mint leaves. Also add half of the saffron dissolved milk. top with 1 tbsp oil or butter or ghee on this layer.
20. Layer with the rest of the vegetable gravy.
21. Lastly add the remainder of the fried onions, mint leaves and the saffron milk. Top with 1 tbsp oil or butter or ghee on this layer.
Cooking Restaurant style Veg biryani
22. Cover the pan with a moist muslin or cotton napkin. You can also seal and secure the pan with aluminum foil.
23. Place the lid on top.
24. Now place the biryani pan on a hot tawa or griddle. The tawa should be heated for 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame before you place the pan on it. Dum cook the biryani for 25 to 3o minutes on a low flame. allow a standing time of 5 to 7 minutes after you switch off the flame.
Baking – bake the biryani at 180 degrees celsius in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Please remember to use an ovenproof glass utensil like the pyrex bowl for baking in the oven. You will have to assemble the biryani as mentioned above in the ovenproof utensil. Cover with aluminum foil or the pyrex bowl’s lid and then bake.
25. Serve the biryani with your favorite raita or biryani shorba or mirchi ka salan and with sliced onions and lemon wedges.
Few more biryani recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Mix Vegetable Biryani (Restaurant Style)
for rice layer of biryani
- 1.5 cups basmati rice or 300 grams basmati rice
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 medium size tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 black cardamom
- 5 cups water for cooking rice
- ¾ teaspoon salt or add as required
for veg gravy layer
- 2 large onions finely sliced or 2 cups thinly sliced onions or 200 grams onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste or 1 inch ginger + 7 to 8 garlic crushed in mortar-pestle
- 2 medium size carrots - chopped
- 1 medium size potato - chopped
- ½ cup cauliflower florets - i did not add cauliflower
- 4 to 5 button mushrooms - chopped
- ¼ cup chopped french beans
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 cup fresh curd (yogurt) or 200 grams curd or cashew yogurt - beaten or whisked till smooth,
- ½ cup water for pressure cooking and ¾ cup water if cooking in a pot
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoon oil or ghee (i used sunflower oil)
- salt as required
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- a single blade of of mace (javitri) - [not the whole mace. mace is a strong spice]
topping the layers
- ¼ cup fried browned onions
- a few strands of saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm milk or water.
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (pudina patta) - chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil or butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- Rinse the rice very well in water till it runs clear of starch. Then soak the rice for 30 mins in enough water. After 30 minutes drain the rice.
- Heat water first in a deep bottomed pan. Add all the whole spices.
- Cook the rice till the grains are 75% cooked.
- Drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
making biryani masala powder
- In a spice grinder or small dry grinder, grind all the spices mentioned for the biryani masala to a powder. Keep aside.
making vegetable gravy for biryani
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker or pan.
- Add the thinly sliced onions. Saute them on a low to medium flame, till they get golden. Then remove 1/4 cup of the fried onions and keep aside.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste to the 3/4 of the browned onions in the cooker or pan.
- Stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Now add the freshly ground biryani masala & red chilli powder. Stir.
- Add the mix chopped vegetables and stir for some 3-4 mins on a low flame.
- Reduce the flame and add the yogurt slowly, stirring it.
- Now add water and salt. Stir very well. pressure cook the veggies for 1 whistle.
assembling and layering biryani
- In a small bowl take 2 tbsp milk. Add saffron strands and mix well. Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If baking then use a pyrex bowl or deep pan. If cooking on stove then use the same pan in which you cooked the veggies or a different one. You can make as many layers you want.
- Arrange half of the veg gravy in the pan or pyrex bowl.
- Now spread half of the cooked basmati rice on top of the veg layer.
- Sprinkle half of the mint leaves, 1 tbsp oil/ghee and the saffron milk.
- Also add half of the fried onion evenly on this layer.
- Top this layer with another layer of veg gravy. then again the rice layer.
- And finally with mint leaves, 1 tbsp oil/ghee, saffron milk and fried onions.
cooking the biryani
- Cover the pyrex bowl with an aluminium foil.
- If using a pan, then cover the pan with a moist muslin cloth or aluminum foil. Cover tightly with a lid.
- You can bake the biryani for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius.
- If cooking on stove, then first heat up a tava/griddle and then keep the biryani pan on the tava. This way the bottom of the biryani won't get burnt.
- Lower the flame and let the biryani dum cook for 25-30 minutes or till done.
- Serve restaurant-style biryani hot with some raita, pickle, salad and papad.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later