dum biryani recipe restaurant style with step by step photos – veg dum biryani is my most favorite rice based dish. if i have to have biryani everyday, i won’t mind it at all.
this restaurant style veg dum biryani recipe was first posted three years back. that time, i always would make the hyderabadi veg dum biryani or my mom’s version of the dum biryani at home. i had never experimented or tried any other version of vegetable dum biryani. i came across this biryani recipe in nita mehta’s cookbook – “taste of amritsar vegetarian”. i gave it a try and adapted the recipe to suit our taste buds. what i liked in the recipe was the use of freshly ground biryani masala.
also, there were no tomatoes, chilies or turmeric in this version. three ingredients which always go in my cooking. i was like, biryani without tomatoes & chilies & turmeric. how it would be??? and i was wrong. the vegetable biryani proved me wrong.
one of the best biryanis i have had and was truly restaurant style. the veg gravy was not wet, like is the case with homemade biryanis, but a bit dry as we get in the restaurants. the biryani is not at all spicy but has a subtle hint of sweetness in it.
the flavors of the freshly ground spices as well as the caramelized/browned onions are a hallmark in this biryani and brings out the best in the whole dish. yes, birista or fried browned onions is used in this recipe.
by now i have made this biryani many times. i have made the recipe, both with dairy yogurt and cashew yogurt. when made with cashew yogurt, no one, including me, could make out the difference that it was made in cashew yogurt.
this dum biryani recipe is awesome and i had to share it with all of you. i served the veg biryani with onion tomato raita.
a long process of making the veg dum biryani but worth it. the ingredients are simple and easily available in the kitchen apart from mint leaves and saffron. so do have some mint leaves before hand. for saffron substitute, you can add a pinch of turmeric in some milk or water and then add it on the rice layers.
i cannot imagine my food without green chilies or red chili powder. so i had to add red chili powder in the biryani. so for this diwali, why not make this biryani and impress your family, friends and guests.
i will be making this restaurant style veg dum biryani on diwali again. it has become a favorite dish at home.
if you are looking for more biryani recipes then do check:
- paneer dum biryani
- biryani in pressure cooker
- mushroom biryani recipe
- hyderabadi veg dum biryani recipe.
veg dum biryani recipe below:
dum biryani recipe | veg dum biryani recipe | vegetable dum biryani recipe
restaurant style veg dum biryani recipe - an aromatic, lightly spiced restaurant style dum vegetable biryani recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for the rice layer:
- 1.5 cups basmati rice OR 300 grams basmati rice
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi or hari elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 medium size tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 5 cups water for cooking rice
- ¾ teaspoon salt or add as required
for the veg gravy layer:
- 2 large onions finely sliced OR 2 cups thinly sliced onions OR 200 grams onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste OR 1 inch ginger + 7 to 8 garlic crushed in mortar-pestle
- 2 medium size carrots - chopped
- 1 medium size potato - chopped
- ½ cup cauliflower florets (gobi) - i did not add cauliflower
- 4 to 5 button mushrooms - chopped
- ¼ cup chopped french beans
- ½ cup green peas (matar)
- 1 cup fresh curd (yogurt or dahi) OR 200 grams curd OR cashew yogurt - beaten or whisked till smooth,
- ½ cup water for pressure cooking and ¾ cup water if cooking in a pot
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 3 to 4 tablespoon oil or ghee (i used sunflower oil)
- salt as required
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 4 cloves (lavang)
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi or hari elaichi)
- a single blade of of mace (javitri) - [not the whole mace. mace is a strong spice]
topping the layers:
- ¼ cup fried browned onions
- a few strands of saffron (kesar) dissolved in 2 tablespoon warm milk or water.
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (pudina patta) - chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil or butter or ghee
how to make recipe
cooking rice for veg dum biryani recipe:
- rinse the rice very well in water till it runs clear of starch. then soak the rice for 30 mins in enough water. after 30 minutes drain the rice.
- heat water first in a deep bottomed pan. add all the whole spices.
- cook the rice till the grains are 75% cooked.
- drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
making dum biryani masala powder:
- in a spice grinder or small dry grinder, grind all the spices mentioned for the biryani masala to a powder. keep aside.
making vegetable gravy for biryani recipe:
- heat oil in the pressure cooker or pan.
- add the thinly sliced onions. saute them on a low to medium flame, till they get golden. then remove 1/4 cup of the fried onions and keep aside.
- now add the ginger-garlic paste to the 3/4 of the browned onions in the cooker or pan.
- stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- now add the freshly ground biryani masala & red chilli powder. stir.
- add the mix chopped vegetables and stir for some 3-4 mins on a low flame.
- reduce the flame and add the yogurt slowly, stirring it.
now add water and salt. stir very well. pressure cook the veggies for 1 whistle.
assembling and layering veg dum biryani recipe:
- in a small bowl take 2 tbsp milk. add saffron strands and mix well. keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- if baking then use a pyrex bowl or deep pan. if cooking on stove then use the same pan in which you cooked the veggies or a different one. you can make as many layers you want.
- arrange half of the veg gravy in the pan or pyrex bowl.
- now spread half of the cooked basmati rice on top of the veg layer.
- sprinkle half of the mint leaves, 1 tbsp oil/ghee and the saffron milk.
- also add half of the fried onion evenly on this layer.
top this layer with another layer of veg gravy. then again the rice layer.
- and finally with mint leaves, 1 tbsp oil/ghee, saffron milk and fried onions.
- cover the pyrex bowl with an aluminium foil.
if using a pan, then cover the pan with a moist muslin cloth or aluminum foil. cover tightly with a lid.
- you can bake the veg biryani for 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degree celsius.
if cooking on stove, then first heat up a tava/griddle and then keep the veg biryani pan on the tava. this way the bottom of the veg biryani won't get burnt.
lower the flame and let the veg biryani dum cook for 25-30 minutes or till done.
serve veg dum biryani hot with some raita, pickle, salad and papad.
how to make vegetable dum biryani recipe:
1. rinse 1.5 cups (200 grams) basmati rice very well in water. soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. when the rice is soaking, chop all the veggies and keep aside.
2. prepare the biryani masala. these are the spices that we will be using for the freshly ground biryani masala – 1 inch cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 4 green cardamoms and a single blade of mace/javitri (not the whole mace. mace is a strong spice).
3. add these in a small grinder or spice grinder and grind to a powder. keep aside.
4. after 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
5. heat 5 cups water. when the water becomes hot, then add the following spices – 3 to 4 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 medium size tej patta, 2 star anise and 1 black cardamom.
6. on a high flame, bring the water to a boil. then add the rice. also add ¾ tsp salt or as per taste.
7. cook the rice on high flame till the rice is 75% cooked.
8. there should be a slight bite in the rice or they should be al dente.
9. drain the rice in a colander. keep aside. you can also check how to cook basmati rice for biryani recipe.
making vegetable gravy for dum biryani recipe:
1. whisk or beat 1 cup fresh yogurt (200 grams) till smooth. keep aside.
2. heat 3 to 4 tbsp oil or ghee in a pan. add 2 cups thinly sliced onions.
3. stir and saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
4. saute the onions with frequent stirring till they become golden brown.
5. keep the flame to a low. then remove ¼ cup fried onions from this and keep aside.
6. then add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
7. then add the freshly ground biryani masala. stir.
8. add the veggies.
9. stir and mix very well.
10. then add the fresh curd.
11. add ½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder.
12. stir the gravy mixture very well.
13. add ½ cup water.
14. add salt as per taste.
15. pressure cook for 1 whistle on a medium flame. if cooking in a pot, then cook till the veggies are done. don’t over cook the veggies. when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and check the gravy. if the veggies are not cooked well, then keep the cooker on the stove top and simmer the gravy without the lid, till the veggies are cooked. if there is too much of water or stock in the gravy, then simmer till some water dries up. the gravy should have a medium or slightly thick consistency and should not be very watery.
assembling and layering veg dum biryani recipe:
16. in a small bowl take 2 tbsp warm milk. add a few saffron strands and mix well. keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
17. the gravy is ready and done. in another thick bottomed pan, add half of the vegetable gravy.
18. layer with half of the rice.
19. sprinkle half of the fried onions along with chopped mint leaves. also add half of the saffron dissolved milk. top with 1 tbsp oil or butter or ghee on this layer.
20. layer with the rest of the vegetable gravy.
21. lastly add the remainder of the fried onions, mint leaves and the saffron milk. top with 1 tbsp oil or butter or ghee on this layer.
22. cover the pan with a moist muslin or cotton napkin. you can also seal and secure the pan with aluminium foil.
23. place the lid on top.
24. now place the biryani pan on a hot tawa or griddle. the tawa should be heated for 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame before you place the pan on it. dum cook the biryani for 25 to 3o minutes on a low flame. allow a standing time of 5 to 7 minutes after you switch off the flame.
baking – bake the veg biryani at 180 degrees celsius in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. please remember to use an oven proof glass utensil like the pyrex bowl for baking in the oven. you will have to assemble the biryani as mentioned above in the oven proof utensil. cover with aluminium foil or the pyrex bowl’s lid and then bake.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe