Nankhatai recipe with step by step photos. Nankhatai are indian shortbread cookies that are made with all-purpose flour, sugar and ghee (clarified butter) or butter. This easy to make tasty nankhatai is spiced with cardamom and nutmeg.
Nankhatai is a popular sweet cookie cum snack recipe which is equally liked by kids as well as elders. Basically it is popular as a tea time cookie and is easily available in most bakery shops in india.
Nankhatai Can be called as indian shortbread cookies or biscuits. they are made with all purpose flour, sugar and ghee or butter. There are many variations of nankhatai. In this recipe I have added some besan or gram flour along with sooji/rava or semolina. You can also check this Whole wheat nankhatai recipe.
I shall be posting more versions of nankhatai since this is one indian cookie which is a favorite in the family and they get over in no time. During diwali, nankhatai is made in many homes. Few more popular snacks which are made during festive occasions are:
I still remember growing up when ovens were a rarity, huge trays of these melt in the mouth biscuits would be baked in the local bakery by my mom and her friends from the neighborhood.
If you are fond of nankhatai then you can easily make it at home. Make them in bulk and store in an air tight container to enjoy them for the next few days. This nankhatai recipe makes 10 large nankhatai, but you can easily make small to medium shaped ones. You can also double this recipe.
How to make nankhatai recipe
1. First take ½ cup sugar in a grinder jar.
2. Grind the sugar granules to a fine powder. Keep aside. If you are using ready powdered sugar or icing sugar, then add ⅔ cup. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius/356 degrees fahrenheit.
3. Now take the powdered sugar in a mixing bowl or pan. Add ½ cup semi solid ghee (at room temperature) or butter (at room temperature).
4. With an electric mixer or blender, begin to cream the sugar and butter. You can also use a food processor to do the same.
5. The mixture should become smooth, light, fluffy and creamy.
6. Now add the following Dry ingredients in a sieve – 1 cup all purpose flour, ¼ cup gram flour/besan, 1 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp baking soda.
7. Sift the dry ingredients. Keep aside.
8. Add the ½ tbsp curd to the creamed ghee+sugar.
9. Mix very well.
10. Then add the sifted dry ingredients. Also add 2 tbsp rava (sooji or cream of wheat).
11. Now add ½ tsp cardamom powder and ⅛ tsp nutmeg powder (or grated nutmeg).
12. Begin to mix the flour with the creamed ghee with a spoon or spatula.
13. Gently bring together the whole mixture to a dough. If you are not able to bring together the mixture and its crumbly, then add 1 to 3 tbsp milk. Do not knead like we do for chapati atta or bread. Just gather the mixture to a dough.
14. pinch medium to large sized balls from the dough. Lightly roll them in your palms and slightly flatten them. Place them in a baking tray. Keep some space between them as they expand while baking.
15. Optionally you can press chironji or almonds on the top slightly. You can also make some criss cross designs on the nankhatais with a fork or toothpick.
16. Bake the nankhatai in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C/356 degrees fahrenheit for 20-25 mins till light golden or golden. Since oven temperatures vary, it may take less or more time. So do keep a check.
17. Keep on the baking tray for two to three minutes. Then remove them with oven gloves on your hands and place them on wire racks to cool.
18. when cooled, store the nankhatai in an air tight container.
- 1 cup All purpose flour Or 125 grams maida
- ¼ cup Gram flour (besan) or 40 grams gram flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoon Sooji (fine rava or cream of wheat) or 20 grams sooji
- 2 to 3 pinches Nutmeg powder Or grated nutmeg or ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom powder
- ½ cup Ghee (semi solid) or butter at room temperature, 80 grams
- ½ cup Sugar, 100 to 110 grams sugar or ⅔ cup powdered sugar or icing sugar or add as per taste
- ½ tablespoon Dahi (yogurt)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Milk
- Few almonds or chironji (charoli)
making nankhatai mixture
- Powder the sugar finely in a grinder.
- Then cream the ghee and powdered sugar with a electric mixer or blender. You can also cream in a food processor.
- The mixture should become smooth, light and creamy.
- Sift the following dry ingredients - all-purpose flour, besan (gram flour), baking powder and baking soda. Keep the sifted dry ingredients aside.
- Add curd (yogurt) to the creamed ghee+sugar mixture. Mix very well.
- Now add the sifted dry ingredients. Also add the sooji (rava or cream of wheat), cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Gently mix everything. Do not knead.
- Just mix and gather to a smooth dough. If the mixture is too crumbly and you cannot bring together to a dough, then add 1 to 3 tbsp of milk. Mix lightly and bring the mixture to a dough.
- Pinch medium sized balls from the dough.
- Roll them evenly in your palms. Slightly flatten them. Press chironji or almonds on the top lightly.
- You can also make some criss cross designs on the nankhatai with a fork or toothpick.
- Place the nankhatai in a baking tray.
- Keep some space between them as they expand while baking.
- Bake the nankhatai in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 20-25 mins till light golden.
- Remove and place them on wire racks, so that they cool down.
- When cooled, store the nankhatai in an air tight container.
- As the temperatures vary in different oven models, keep an eye while baking. If the nankhatais are not baked enough then bake them for some more minutes.
To make nankhatai in microwave oven
- You cannot make nankhatai in the microwave mode of the microwave oven. However if your microwave oven has convection option, then you can use the convection mode (option) to make them in the microwave oven.
- Pre heat the microwave oven in the convection mode at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes. Then bake the nankhatai in the pre heated microwave oven in the convection mode at 180 degrees celsius for 15-20 minutes or till light golden.