In hindi the word ‘bhurji’ means scrambled. so paneer matar bhurji is a spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese with green peas, onions, green chilies, tomatoes and Indian spices.
It is usually had with bread or even parathas & chapatis. Along with the essential ingredients like onions, green chilies and tomatoes, sometimes peas are also added to the scrambled paneer while making bhurji.
Paneer and green peas bhurji Is a simple and easy breakfast recipe. Along with the goodness of Cottage cheese (paneer) you also have the nutritiousness of Peas (matar).
If using fresh matar, then boil the mutter and set it aside to make the paneer. If using frozen matar, then cook it for 10-12 mins along with the masala and then add the paneer. I used frozen peas, so I did not cook them first.
Alternatively, if you plan to make this recipe for breakfast, you could boil the mutter (both fresh/frozen) the night before and refrigerate them to be used in the morning.
How to make paneer peas bhurji
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil or 1.5 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add ½ tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
2. Now add finely chopped 1 small to medium sized onion (50 grams onion).
3. Saute the onions till light golden or golden.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste (2 to 3 garlic & ½ inch ginger, crushed into a paste in mortar-pestle) and saute till their aroma passes away.
5. Add chopped tomatoes (2 small to medium tomatoes, finely chopped or 80 to 90 gms tomatoes).
6. Saute the tomatoes till they become mushy and you can see the fat leaving the sides.
7. Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp red chili powder. Stir.
8. Now add the fresh or frozen matar/peas (100 gms peas or ½ cup peas) and stir. Frozen peas will take less time to cook than fresh peas.
9. add 1 to 1.5 cups water. Also add salt as required.
10. Cover the pan with the lid and cook the peas on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes.
11. Check in between to see if the water has dried up or not. Add more water if required.
13. Crumble 200 grams paneer/cottage cheese in the meantime. Once the peas are cooked well and the water has dried up, add the crumbled paneer.
14. Stir for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer gets cooked. Also add 1 or 2 slit green chilies.
15. Add ½ tsp kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves and ½ tsp garam masala.
16. Give a stir.
Garnish with coriander leaves, ginger julienne and Serve paneer green peas bhurji hot with rotis or plain paratha or bread.
More Paneer recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
paneer green peas bhurji
- 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 100 grams green peas or ½ cup green peas
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped or 80 to 90 gms tomatoes
- 2 small onions, finely chopped or 50 gms onion or about ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 to 3 garlic & ½ inch ginger, crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit or chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ inch ginger julienne
- ½ tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon oil or ghee or butter
- salt as required
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Now add the onions. Fry the onions till light golden or golden.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till their aroma passes away. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute the tomatoes till the they become mushy and you can see the fat leaving the sides.
- Add all the turmeric powder and red chili powder. Stir.
- Now add the fresh or frozen peas.
- Add 1 to 1.5 cups water. Also add salt.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook the peas on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes. Frozen peas will take less time to cook as compared with fresh peas.
- Check in between to see if the water has dried up or not. Add more water if required.
- Crumble the paneer/cottage cheese in the meantime.
- Once the matar are cooked through and the water has dried up, add the crumbled paneer.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer gets cooked. Also add slit green chilies.
- Add the kasuri methi and garam masala. Garnish with coriander leaves & ginger julienne.
- Serve paneer peas bhurji hot with chapatis, parathas or bread.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.