This is an easy 3 ingredients lemon pickle made with lemon, turmeric powder and green chilies. Low-fat, Gluten-free and Vegan.
Best part of this easy lemon pickle is that it has no oil, sugar and no spices. Yet the pickle tastes great. Sometimes food made with simple ingredients tastes the best. This pickle is an example of this great taste and simplicity. Similarly, you can also check this fresh turmeric pickle recipe which is also simple yet flavorful.
This recipe comes from my mom’s recipe bank. To make this pickle no cooking process is required. Just chop the lemon, green chilies, sprinkle turmeric powder and salt for seasoning the pickle.
The tang coming from lemons, heat coming from green chilies along the turmeric flavor balances the taste of pickle. this lemon pickle stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
Few more similar pickle recipes I have shared are:
- Lemon pickle – no oil, super easy, sour pickle.
- Naranga achar – Kerala style pickle
- Nimbu ka achar with jaggery – khatta meetha pickle which is again my mom recipe.
Pickle plays a vital role as a condiment in India. no meal is complete without pickles and tastes best with dal-rice, chapatis, parathas or as a side dish with any Indian meal.
How to make 3 ingredient easy lemon pickle
1. Rinse the 12 lemons, wipe them with a cloth as it shouldn’t have any trace of moisture. Chop the lemons into bite sized pieces. Before you begin with the preparation, sterilize a medium glass jar or bottle.
To sterilize the glass jar – in a large saucepan heat water, till it reaches its boiling point, meaning it has begun to boil. immerse the jar and its metallic lid in the hot water. continue to boil water along with the jar for 8 to 10 minutes. remove the jar with the help of clean tongs and place the jar inverted on a thick towel kept on the kitchen tabletop. let the jar dry naturally.
2. Slit 15 green chilies lengthwise or you can also chop them in halves.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder over the chopped lemons.
4. Sprinkle 1.5 tablespoons salt or add as required.
5. Now add the slit green chilies.
6. Mix well with a spoon. Avoid mixing with fingers as then the fingers turn yellow due to turmeric.
7. Now add this mixture into a sterilized glass bottle or jar.
9. If you want, you can keep the pickle in the sun also for 2 days. After 3 to 4 days the color of the pickle would change from yellow to dark yellow. Once the pickle is ready, then refrigerate.
10. Serve Lemon pickle as a side dish with any Indian meal or with parathas like aloo paratha, onion paratha. This pickle stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
If you are looking for more Pickle recipes then do check:
easy lemon pickle recipe
- 600 grams lemons (21 oz) or 12 big sized lemons
- 15 green chilies or 3 oz or 80 grams green chilies
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 tablespoon salt or as required
- Rinse lemons, wipe them with a cloth very well, as it shouldn't have any trace of moisture.
- Chop the lemons into bite sized pieces.
- Slit 15 green chilies lengthwise or halve them.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and 1.5 tablespoon salt over the chopped lemons.
- Now add the slit green chilies.
- Mix well with a spoon, avoid mixing with finger as then they would turn yellow due to turmeric.
- Now add this mixture into a sterilized glass jar or bottle.
- Cover tightly with a lid and allow the pickle in jar to sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. You can even keep for 4 to 5 days.
- If you want, you can keep the pickle in the sun also for 2 days. The color of the pickle would change from yellow to dark yellow. Once the pickle is ready, then refrigerate.
- Serve a very small portion, about ¾ to 1 tsp of the fresh lemon pickle with any indian meal.
- This pickle stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
- You could add more green chilies if you like spicier lemon pickle.
- For variation you could add ginger julienne to the pickle.