lemon pickle recipe with step by step photos. this is an easy lemon pickle made merely with 3 ingredients which are lemon, turmeric and green chilies.
best part of this lemon pickle is that it has no oil, sugar and no spices. yet the pickle tastes great. sometimes food made with simple ingredients tastes the best. this pickle is an example of this great taste and simplicity. similarly you can also check this fresh turmeric pickle recipe which is also simple yet flavorful.
this recipe comes from my mom’s recipe bank. to make this lemon pickle no cooking process is required. just chop the lemon, green chilies, sprinkle turmeric powder and salt for seasoning the pickle. the tang coming from lemons, heat coming from green chilies along the turmeric flavor balances the taste of pickle. this lemon pickle stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator. you can also check this khatta meetha nimbu ka achaar recipe which is again my mom recipe.
if you are looking for more pickle recipes then do check:
lemon pickle recipe card below:
lemon pickle recipe | nimbu ka achar recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 600 grams lemons (21 oz) or 12 big sized lemons
- 15 green chilies (hari mirch) or 3 oz or 80 grams green chilies
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1.5 tablespoon salt or as required
how to make recipe
- rinse lemons, wipe them with a cloth very well, as it shouldn't have any trace of moisture.
- chop the lemons into bite sized pieces.
- slit 15 green chilies lengthwise or halve them.
- sprinkle 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and 1.5 tablespoon salt over the chopped lemons.
- now add the slit green chilies.
- mix well with a spoon, avoid mixing with finger as then they would turn yellow due to turmeric.
- now add this mixture into a sterilized glass jar or bottle.
- cover tightly with a lid and allow the pickle in jar to sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. you can even keep for 4 to 5 days.
- if you want, you can keep the pickle in the sun also for 2 days. the color of the lemon pickle would change from yellow to dark yellow. once the lemon pickle is ready, then refrigerate.
- serve a very small portion, about ¾ to 1 tsp of the fresh lemon pickle with any indian meal.
- this lemon pickle stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
- you could add more green chilies if you like spicier lemon pickle.
- for variation you could add ginger julienne to the pickle.
how to make lemon pickle recipe:
1. rinse the 12 lemons, wipe them with a cloth as it shouldn’t have any trace of moisture. chop the lemons into bite sized pieces. before you begin with the preparation, sterilize a medium glass jar or bottle. to sterilize the glass jar – in a large sauce pan heat water, till it reaches its boiling point, meaning it has begun to boil. immerse the jar and its metallic lid in the hot water. continue to boil water along with the jar for 8 to 10 minutes. remove the jar with the help of clean tongs and place the jar inverted on a thick towel kept on the kitchen tabletop. let the jar dry naturally.
2. slit 15 green chilies lengthwise or you can also chop them in halves.
3. sprinkle 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder over the chopped lemons.
4. sprinkle 1.5 tablespoons salt or add as required.
5. now add the slit green chilies.
6. mix well with a spoon. avoid mixing with finger as then the fingers turn yellow due to turmeric.
7. now add this mixture into a sterilized glass bottle or jar.
9. if you want, you can keep the lemon pickle in the sun also for 2 days. after 3 to 4 days the color of the pickle would change from yellow to dark yellow. once the pickle is ready, then refrigerate.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe