cabbage foogath recipe – a favorite and a staple at home is this goan recipe of cabbage with coconut. this is an easy and simple recipe to make and is also known as fugad de repolho.
mom would make this cabbage foogath recipe at least once a week. this and cabbage upkari were a regular at my place. even the hubby who does not like cabbage is very fond of this one as well as the cabbage upkari.
that’s because cabbage and coconut blend so well with each other giving the dish a slight sweet taste and flavor.
i usually make cabbage foogath to go with dal and rice. simple, comforting and easy home cooked food. in fact i usually have cabbage foogath with either white bread or chapatis. its yum…. few more similar goan recipes are french beans foogath, cabbage bhaji and papdi bhaji.
just taken simple shots and no styling in the photo. the sun was playing hide and seek.
cabbage foogath recipe below:
cabbage foogath or fugad de repolho recipe – goan style steamed cabbage with coconut
- 1 medium sized cabbage, finely sliced (patta gobhi)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped or sliced
- ½ tablespoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 to 3 garlic, chopped (lahsun)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoon grated coconut or dessicated coconut
- salt to taste
- heat oil in a pan. fry the onion till they become soft. in this recipe we don't brown the onions.
- add the ginger, garlic, green chilies and fry for a minute.
- add the cabbage with salt.
- cover and cook over low flame for 7-8 minutes or till done.
- keep checking in between and if required add 1 or 2 tsp of water.
- add the coconut just 1 or 2 minutes before you remove the pan from fire.
- mix well.
- serve cabbage foogath with dal-rice or with chapatis or phulkas.