easy dosa recipe made with rice flour and urad dal flour. this is an easy and fuss free version of making dosa recipe. just mix the rice flour and urad dal flour with water. allow to ferment the batter and you are ready to make crisp dosa at home. no soaking and grinding issues.
i will not say these taste like the regular dosa made from ground rice and lentils. no they do not. they do not have the characteristic sour taste & flavor which is there in the ground dosa version. still they are good.
these dosas taste more like the crisp dosa which one gets in udupi restaurants. after making dosa this way, my feeling is that this is how they make dosa in restaurants. you will really not complain about these dosas, as they do not take the extra effort that is usually required in making a regular dosa. few more quick and easy dosa recipes which you can make at times are:
i used ready made organic raw urad dal flour and rice flour to make these dosas. these flours can be made at home by grinding both rice and urad lentils. just mix the flour with water and allow to ferment overnight.
these crisp and golden dosa can be served plain with just coconut chutney and vegetable sambar or made into a masala dosa with the spiced potato stuffing.
if you are looking for more popular dosa recipes then do check:
easy no grind dosa recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR easy no grind dosa recipe
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups rice flour
- ¾ cup urad dal flour (husked black gram flour)
- 2.5 cups water or add as required
- salt as required
- oil as required
HOW TO MAKE easy no grind dosa recipe
making dosa batter
- add both the rice flour and urad dal flour into a mixing bowl.
- pour water and mix well. the batter has to be smooth and without any lumps and evenly mixed. the consistency should be that of a thick batter but still flowing.
- pour the batter from the mixing bowl in another bowl. cover and allow to ferment at room temperature overnight for 9-10 hours or more if required.
- once the batter is fermented well, then add salt to the dosa batter and mix well.
making dosa recipe
- heat an iron griddle or tava. smear with oil lightly.
- take a spoon or ladle with the batter and gently start spreading the dosa in circular rounds. if using non stick pan, then avoid smearing oil on the pan. since you won't be able to spread the dosa batter properly on the non stick pan.
- drizzle oil on the top and sides and let one side cook.
- when one side of dosa is browned, flip and cook the other side.
- fold the dosa and serve hot with coconut chutney or vegetable sambar.
- make dosa in the same way with the batter.
- the leftover dosa batter can be refrigerated and used within 4 to 5 days.
stepwise easy dosa recipe with urad flour and rice flour
1. add both the rice flour and urad dal flour into a mixing bowl.
2. pour water and mix well. i usually use my hands to mix the batter very well and break the lumps. the batter has to be smooth and without any lumps and evenly mixed.
3. pour the batter from the mixing bowl in another bowl. cover and allow to ferment at room temperature overnight for 9-10 hours.
4. the consistency of batter the next day. due to it being cold here, the batter fermented not much. so i kept for an additional 4 hours more. the batter does not triple or double up like the dosa batter made with ground rice and lentils. but there is a faint sour aroma in the batter. a tip is to add 1 tbsp yogurt along with water before fermentation. you can reserve a few teaspoons of the fermented batter and then freeze it. use it later as a starter to ferment the next batch of dosa.
5. add salt once the batter is fermented and mix well.
6. heat an iron griddle or tava. smear with oil lightly. take a spoon or ladle with the batter and gently start spreading the dosa in circular rounds. if using non stick pan, then avoid smearing oil on the pan. if the batter is too thick to spread evenly, then just add a few tbsp of water in it.
7. drizzle oil on the top and sides and let one side cook.
8. when one side is browned, flip and cook the other side of dosa.
9. fold the dosa and serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar. repeat making dosa similar way with the batter. here i served the dosa with onion tomato chutney.