drumstick dal recipe with step by step photos. this drumstick dal recipe is the way my mom makes it. i love the flavor and taste of drumsticks in the dal, rather than plain dal. whenever I go to the market, i always make sure to buy drumsticks so that i could add it to the dal. i have already shared dal recipes like mango dal, goan drumstick dal or sambar recipe.
few more recipes which i make from drumsticks are drumstick masala, goan drumstick curry and drumstick rasam. drumsticks are very good for health and should be included in the diet. in south india, they are included in many sambar recipes.
tips for making drumstick dal
- i have added the drumsticks right in the beginning. if you have very tender drumsticks, you could add them after the 2-3 whistles. the drumsticks which I had were not very tender, so they got cooked correctly.
- sometimes if you pressure cook the drumstick, they get over cooked and they loose shape. thus they get mixed in the dal. it does not appear nice and while eating too the drumsticks seeds pop in your mouth. so use common sense while cooking any recipe with drumsticks.
- i have used tuvar dal (arhar dal) with the drumsticks as the taste of the two combine very well with each other. but you can experiment with moong or chana dal.
- cooking dal for 4 whistles was right for me. the cooking time for dal or anything depends upon your pressure cooker – i.e how many litres of pressure cooker you use. for the smaller ones like 2 or 3 litres – the dal won’t cook in 4 whistles. may be you have to cook for 5 to 6 whistles or more.
- i had soaked the dal. thus the cooking time of the dal is reduced. if you don’t soak it than you will have to increase the cooking time. it is advisable not to add drumsticks in the beginning if you don’t soak the dal.
- the cooking time of drumsticks and dal differs. for the time taken for the unsoaked dal to cook, the drumsticks will get overcooked and become mushy. to avoid this, pressure cook the dal for few whistles and then add the drumsticks. pressure cook again for a few whistles or you can also cook in a open pan.
- also, i have added one sprig of curry leaves to the dal when its being cooked in the pressure cooker. this is to impart the fragrant aroma and flavor of the curry leaves to the dal. later in the tempering also, the curry leaves added again, add more to the aroma and flavor of the dal.
drumstick dal recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR drumstick dal recipe
- 1 to 2 drumsticks - rinsed, scraped and chopped into 2-2.5 inches
- ½ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 small green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic cloves, (lahsun)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 cups water or add as required
- 1 pinch dry fenugreek leaves (crushed kasoori methi) – optional
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- salt as required
- water as required
HOW TO MAKE drumstick dal recipe
- clean, wash and soak the arhar dal for 1 hour. in a pressure cooker, add the soaked dal.
- add the chopped onions, tomatoes, drumsticks, curry leaves, green chili, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, water and salt to the soaked dal.
- pressure cook the dal for 3 to 4 whistles till the dal is cooked. once all the pressure is released from the cooker naturally, open and now add crushed kasuri methi to the dal. mix well.
- in a pan, heat ghee. add mustard seeds.
- when they start to pop, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves. fry for some seconds. do not burn.
- pour the tadka immediately in the hot dal and cover the dal with a lid. this is so that the aroma and flavors from the tadka get infused in the dal.
- after a minute or two, serve the delicious drumstick arhar dal with either rice or chapatis.
how to make drumstick dal recipe
1. clean and wash the arhar dal couple of times in water.
2. soak the arhar dal for 1 hour.
3. in a pressure cooker, add the soaked dal.
4. add ¼ cup chopped onion and ¼ cup chopped tomato.
5. add 1 to 2 drumsticks chopped lengthwise into 2 to 2.25 inches and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
6. also add 1 small green chili (finely chopped), 1 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger and 1 teaspoon of finely chopped garlic.
7. add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
8. lastly add salt and 2 cups water or add as required.
9. pressure cook the dal for 3 to 4 whistles till the dal is cooked well. once all the pressure is released from the cooker naturally, then open the lid of the cooker. add 1 pinch of crushed kasuri methi to the dal. mix and keep aside. if the dal looks very thick, then you can add some hot water to the dal to get medium consistency.
10. in a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil.
11. add ¼ teaspoon of mustard seeds.
12. when they start to pop, add ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
13. stir fry for a couple of seconds. do not burn.
14. pour the tadka immediately in the hot dal.
15. cover the dal with a lid. this is so that the aroma and flavors from the tadka get infused in the dal.
16. after a minute or two, serve the delicious drumstick arhar dal with either rice or chapatis.