Goan drumstick coconut curry with step by step photos – this delicious curry also called as Shengo curry or Shengya chi kodi Is a coconut based curry made with drumsticks. The drumsticks that I refer are the pods of the plant Moringa oleifera. These are also called as Saijan ki phalli in hindi.
Sharing a Goan recipe after a long time. This one happens to be my mom’s recipe and I do make it at times. Like most Goan curries, coconut is an important ingredient in this recipe.
The spices that are used are the usual spices that are added in Goan coconut-based curries. Tamarind is also added to give a slightly sour taste. The coconut along with spices is ground to a fine masala. So do use a good grinder to grind the masala.
If you want you can also add some potatoes in the recipe. This curry goes best with rice. Though you can also serve with chapatis.
How to make Goan drumstick coconut curry
1. Rinse, peel and chop the drumsticks into 4 to 5 inches pieces long.
2. Take all the ingredients for the masala paste. In the pic are ½ cup tightly packed fresh grated coconut, 4 to 5 black peppercorns, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tbsp coriander seeds, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 2 to 3 dry red chilies, ½ tsp tightly packed tamarind and ½ tbsp chopped onion. If you want, you can break the red chilies and remove the seeds before grinding.
3. Take all of the above ingredients in a grinder jar. Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 tbsp chopped onions.
5. Saute the onion still translucent.
6. Then add the ground masala paste.
8. On a low flame, stirring often saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Add the chopped drumsticks.
10. Add 1 cup water or as required. Mix well.
11. Season with salt.
12. Cover the pan with a lid.
13. Simmer the curry till the drumsticks are cooked and softened
14. Garnish with some coriander leaves and Serve hot with steamed rice.
Few more curry recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 200 grams drumstick or 3 to 4 drumsticks
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
for ground masala
- ½ cup tightly packed grated coconut
- 2 to 3 small to medium sized garlic - chopped
- 4 to 5 black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies
- ½ teaspoon tightly packed tamarind
- ½ tablespoon chopped onion
- ⅔ to ¾ cup water for grinding
- Rinse, peel and chop the drumsticks into 4 to 5 inches pieces long.
- Take all the ingredients for the ground masala paste in a grinder jar. Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 tbsp chopped onions. Saute the onion still translucent.
- Then add the ground masala paste. On a low flame, stirring often saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped drumsticks.
- Add 1 cup water or as required. Mix well. season with salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer the curry till the drumsticks are cooked and softened.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- If you want you can also add some potatoes in the curry.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later