veg shammi kabab recipe with step by step photos – shammi kabab is a very popular awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices. these kababs are succulent, tasty and melt in the mouth.
well i know these facts since i have had them before becoming a vegetarian. I would just have 1 or 2 kababs and thats it. I could not eat more since i did not like the taste & texture of meat in the kabab and by the way all the kababs were made my me.
there was time when i would cook fish, meat & chicken for my folks at home… i would just cook and not eat at all. it was just cooking that gave me a lot of joy.
by the way all in my family are non vegetarians and we co exist 🙂
now these vegetarian shammi kababs are not melt in the mouth. that much i can tell you… but they are delicious. few more tasty kabab recipes on blog are:
I bet you won’t miss the meaty shammi kababs when you dig a bite in these vegetarian ones.
I make these veg kababs usually with chana dal or whole black chickpeas/kala chana. the recipe posted here has been made with black chana. if you have presoaked chana handy, then making these kababs is a breeze.
veg kababs are excellent as starters and even teams up well with bread in a sandwich, with bun in a burger and with pita bread too. pita bread reminds me of the best pita bread i had made some days ago. and when i say, best… i mean it. the bread was soft, fluffy and fluffed up so well…. plus vegan too.
ok… back to the veg kababs. once shaped into small patties and then shallow fried – serve these veg shammi kabab hot hot, with onion-mint-lime salad or the mint-yogurt chutney that is usually served with tandoori snacks.
veg shammi kabab recipe card below:
veg shammi kabab recipe
veg shammi kabab recipe - shammi kabab is a very popular awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
for pressure cooking kala chana
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana)
- enough water for soaking kala chana
- water for pressure cooking kala chana
other ingredients for veg shammi kabab:
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- oil for frying the kababs
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves (pudina patta), chopped
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
preparation for veg shammi kabab:
soak the black chickpeas in water overnight of for 6-7 hours.
drain and pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and salt till they are thoroughly cooked.
let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
drain the cooked chickpeas now.
in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
making veg shammi kabab:
heat oil in a pan on a medium flame.
shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
once done, then drain the kababs on kitchen paper napkins to remove excess oil.
you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
garnish kababs with mint leaves and serve them hot.
serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.
tips for making veg shammi kabab recipe:
- you can also make the kabab with chana dal or both chana dal and black chickpeas.
- when frying kabab, for testing first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn't break than you can safely fry the remaining kababs.
- if it does break, then add some more chickpea flour/besan to the mixture.
how to make veg shammi kabab recipe:
a) soaking and pressure cooking the chickpeas:
1. rinse and soak 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana) in water overnight or for 6 to 7 hours.
2. next day the kala chana will double in size.
3. drain the water.
4. in a pressure cooker add the kala chana with enough water. also add salt. pressure cook the chickpeas till they are thoroughly cooked.
5. let the pressure settle down in the cooker on its own and then check whether kala chana is cooked or not. if not then cook for some more time. once kala chana is cooked well then drain the water and keep the cooked chickpeas aside.
making veg shammi kababs mixture:
7. in a large bowl or wide dish (plate) add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or with your hands.
8. just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
9. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making veg shammi kabab.
10. to the semi coarse chickpea mixture, add 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped) and 1 green chili (finely chopped).
11. next add 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder), ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) and salt as required.
12. also add 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan) and ½ tablespoon ginger paste.
14. lastly add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
15. mix very well.
16. make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
making veg shammi kabab:
17. heat oil in a pan or tawa on a medium flame.
18. shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp.
19. flip and fry till browned on both sides.
20. once done, then drain the shammi kababs on kitchen paper napkins to remove excess oil. you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
21. garnish kababs with 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves and serve them hot. serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.