shammi kabab is a very popular awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices. these kababs are succulent, tasty and melt in the mouth.
well i know these facts since i have had them before becoming a vegetarian. I would just have 1 or 2 kababs and thats it. I could not eat more since i did not like the taste & texture of meat in the kabab….. and by the way all the kababs were made my me.
there was time when i would cook fish, meat & chicken for my folks at home… i would just cook and not eat at all. it was just cooking that gave me a lot of joy.
by the way all in my family are non vegetarians and we co exist 🙂
now these vegetarian shammi kababs are not melt in the mouth. that much i can tell you… but they are delicious.
I bet you won’t miss the meaty shammi kababs when you dig a bite in these vegetarian ones.
I make these veg kababs usually with chana dal or whole black chickpeas/kala chana. the recipe posted here has been made with black chana. if you have presoaked chana handy, then making these kababs is a breeze.
veg kababs are excellent as starters and even teams up well with bread in a sandwich, with bun in a burger and with pita bread too. pita bread reminds me of the best pita bread i had made some days ago. and when i say, best… i mean it. the bread was soft, fluffy and fluffed up so well…. plus vegan too.
ok… back to the veg kababs. once shaped into small patties and then shallow fried – serve these veg shammi kabab hot hot, with onion-mint-lime salad or the mint-yogurt chutney that is usually served with tandoori snacks.
veg shammi kabab recipe details below:
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves (pudina patta), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- salt as required
- oil for frying the kababs
- soak the black chickpeas in water overnight of for 6-7 hours.
- drain and pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and salt till they are thoroughly cooked.
- let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
- drain the cooked chickpeas now.
- in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
- just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
- add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
- shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
- you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
- garnish kababs with mint leaves and serve hot.
- serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.
you can also make the kabas with chana dal or both chana dal and black chickpeas. when frying, for testing first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn't break than you can safely fry the remaining kababs. if it does break, then add some more chickpea flour/besan to the mixture.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes