shammi kabab is a very popular awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices. these kababs are succulent, tasty and melt in the mouth.
well i know these facts since i have had them before becoming a vegetarian. I would just have 1 or 2 kababs and thats it. I could not eat more since i did not like the taste & texture of meat in the kabab….. and by the way all the kababs were made my me.
there was time when i would cook fish, meat & chicken for my folks at home… i would just cook and not eat at all. it was just cooking that gave me a lot of joy.
by the way all in my family are non vegetarians and we co exist
now these vegetarian shammi kababs are not melt in the mouth. that much i can tell you… but they are delicious.
I bet you won’t miss the meaty shammi kababs when you dig a bite in these vegetarian ones.
I make these veg kababs usually with chana dal or whole black chickpeas/kala chana. the recipe posted here has been made with black chana. if you have presoaked chana handy, then making these kababs is a breeze.
veg kababs are excellent as starters and even teams up well with bread in a sandwich, with bun in a burger and with pita bread too. pita bread reminds me of the best pita bread i had made some days ago. and when i say, best… i mean it.
the bread was soft, fluffy and fluffed up so well…. plus vegan too. here’s a sneak peak below… raw and unedited pic of the pita bread… recipe on making the bread, both in the oven & on stove top will be posted soon….. so stay tuned….
ok… back to the kababs. once shaped into small patties and then shallow fried – serve these veg delicacies hot hot, with onion-mint-lime salad or the mint-yogurt chutney that is usually served with tandoori snacks.
i am very much pleased with the photos…. finally i managed to get a brilliant white background behind the food shots… a technique which i was struggling to get for months without any help or guidance…. and who should i thank for it…. myself… good job done dassana
veg shammi kabab recipe details below:
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas/kala chana
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour/besan
- oil for frying the kababs
- soak the black chickpeas in water overnight of for 6-7 hours.
- drain and pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and salt till they are thoroughly cooked.
- let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
- drain the cooked chickpeas now.
- in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
- just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
- add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
- shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
- you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
- garnish kababs with mint leaves and serve hot.
- serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.