veg shammi kabab recipe with step by step photos. shammi kabab is a very popular and delicious awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices. in this post i have shared a vegetarian version of shammi kabab made with black chana (kala chana). they are crisp, succulent and tasty.
now these vegetarian shammi kababs are not melt in the mouth. that much i can tell you, but they are delicious. few more tasty kabab recipes on the blog are:
i make these veg kababs usually with chana dal or whole black chickpeas/kala chana. the recipe posted here has been made with black chana. if you have presoaked chana handy, then making these kababs is a breeze.
veg kababs are excellent as starters and even teams up well with bread in a sandwich, with bun in a burger and with pita bread too. pita bread reminds me of the best pita bread i had made some days ago.
these veg shammi kababs are shaped into small patties and then shallow fried. you can serve veg shammi kabab hot or warm, with onion-mint-lime salad or mint-yogurt chutney that is usually served with tandoori snacks.
veg shammi kabab recipe below:
veg shammi kabab recipe - vegetarian version of shammi kabab made with black chana (kala chana). these shammi kababs are crisp, succulent and tasty.
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana)
- enough water for soaking kala chana
- 2 cups water or as required, for pressure cooking kala chana
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- oil as required for frying the kababs
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves or chopped coriander leaves
soak the black chickpeas in water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
drain all the soaked water and then pressure cook the chickpeas with 2 cups water and ½ teaspoon salt for 10 to 15 minutes or till they are thoroughly cooked.
let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
open the lid and check if the chickpeas are cooked well. then drain all the water very well. do make sure that the chickpeas are dry and all the water is drained from them.
in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
add all the rest of the ingredients except oil. mix very well.
make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
heat oil in a pan on a medium flame.
shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
once done, then drain the kababs on kitchen paper napkins to remove excess oil.
you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
garnish kababs with mint leaves or coriander leaves. serve these veg shammi kababs hot.
serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.
tips for making veg shammi kabab recipe:
- you can also make the kabab with chana dal or both chana dal and black chickpeas.
- when frying kabab, for testing first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn't break then you can safely fry the remaining kababs.
- if it does break, then add some more chickpea flour/besan to the mixture.
how to make veg shammi kabab recipe:
a) soaking and pressure cooking the chickpeas:
1. rinse and soak 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana) in enough water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
2. next day the kala chana will double in size.
3. drain all the water.
4. in a pressure cooker add the kala chana with 2 cups water. also add ½ teaspoon salt. pressure cook the chickpeas for 10 to 15 minutes on medium flame or till they are thoroughly cooked and tender.
5. let the pressure settle down in the cooker on its own. then check whether kala chana is cooked or not. if not cooked well, then pressure cook again for some more time. once kala chana is cooked well then drain all the water and keep the cooked chickpeas aside. do make sure that all the water is drained well.
making veg shammi kababs mixture:
7. in a large bowl or wide dish (plate) add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or with your hands.
8. just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
9. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making veg shammi kabab.
10. to the semi coarse chickpea mixture, add 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped) and 1 green chili (finely chopped).
12. also add 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan) and ½ tablespoon ginger paste.
14. lastly add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
15. mix very well.
16. make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
making veg shammi kabab:
17. for shallow frying, heat oil as required in a pan or tawa on a medium flame.
18. when the oil becomes medium hot, then place the kababs in the pan or tawa. begin to shallow fry these shammi kababs on medium flame. you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version. when frying kabab, for testing, first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn’t break then you can safely fry the remaining kababs. if it does break, then add some more besan to the mixture.
19. flip when one side is browned and fry the second side. you can flip each kabab a couple of times for even browning. fry till the shammi kababs are browned on both sides.
20. once done, then place the shammi kababs on kitchen paper napkins to remove any extra oil. shallow fry the remaining kababs in the same way.
21. serve shammi kabab hot or warm. while serving, garnish kababs with 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves or chopped coriander leaves. serve veg shammi kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.