veg shammi kabab recipe – shammi kabab is a very popular awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices. these kababs are succulent, tasty and melt in the mouth.
well i know these facts since i have had them before becoming a vegetarian. I would just have 1 or 2 kababs and thats it. I could not eat more since i did not like the taste & texture of meat in the kabab….. and by the way all the kababs were made my me.
there was time when i would cook fish, meat & chicken for my folks at home… i would just cook and not eat at all. it was just cooking that gave me a lot of joy.
by the way all in my family are non vegetarians and we co exist 🙂
I bet you won’t miss the meaty shammi kababs when you dig a bite in these vegetarian ones.
I make these veg kababs usually with chana dal or whole black chickpeas/kala chana. the recipe posted here has been made with black chana. if you have presoaked chana handy, then making these kababs is a breeze.
veg kababs are excellent as starters and even teams up well with bread in a sandwich, with bun in a burger and with pita bread too. pita bread reminds me of the best pita bread i had made some days ago. and when i say, best… i mean it. the bread was soft, fluffy and fluffed up so well…. plus vegan too.
ok… back to the veg kababs. once shaped into small patties and then shallow fried – serve these veg shammi kabab hot hot, with onion-mint-lime salad or the mint-yogurt chutney that is usually served with tandoori snacks.
veg shammi kabab recipe details below:
veg shammi kabab recipe - shammi kabab is a very popular awadhi dish made from minced meat, lentils and spices
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves (pudina patta), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- salt as required
- oil for frying the kababs
- soak the black chickpeas in water overnight of for 6-7 hours.
- drain and pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and salt till they are thoroughly cooked.
- let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
- drain the cooked chickpeas now.
- in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
- just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
- add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
heat oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
once done, then drain the kababs on kitchen paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
garnish kababs with mint leaves and serve them hot.
- serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.
tips for making veg shammi kabab recipe:
- you can also make the kabab with chana dal or both chana dal and black chickpeas.
- when frying kabab, for testing first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn't break than you can safely fry the remaining kababs.
- if it does break, then add some more chickpea flour/besan to the mixture.