any vegetarian tandoori dishes are a favorite at home. now i don’t have a tandoor at home, but i do make tandoori dishes in the oven.
tandoori snacks or appetizers are marinated in a spiced yogurt mixture and then baked in the tandoor or in the oven.
so is the case with tandoori aloo or tandoori potatoes.
i have used yogurt in the recipe but not dairy yogurt.
the whole marination has been done in cashew yogurt.
and neither me nor my hubby could make out that the tandoori aloo was made in cashew yogurt.
this was my first attempt in making a savory indian dish that uses yogurt. i was successful in veganizing it completely. you can use regular dairy yogurt and this recipe will work well this way too.
the tandoori aloo taste awesome with baby potatoes, but you can make these with regular potatoes too.
also i have not used any tandoori masala. garam masala works fine instead of tandoori masala and if it is a homemade garam masala then nothing like it.
the tandoori aloo makes a for a great starter or snack for any occasion.
using the same recipe, you can also make tandoori gobi or tandoori paneer. you can even make veg tikka or shashlik with the same recipe. just proportionately increase the ingredients. if you are looking for aloo recipes then i suggest you to check punjabi dum aloo, aloo paratha, punjabi aloo gobi, aloo chaat and aloo tikki chole recipe.
recipe details for tandoori aloo given below:
- 12-15 baby potatoes or chote aloo
- ¾ cup or 1 cup cashew curd or milk yogurt
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tbsp garlic ginger paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi leaves/dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- black salt or salt as required
- oil as required
- rinse the baby potatoes well.
- do not peel them.
- parboil these in a pan or pressure cooker for 1-2 whistles.
- halve them into two.
- mix everything with the yogurt except oil.
- now marinate the baby potatoes with the yogurt and keep for 1 hour in the fridge.
- grease a pan or tray and bake the aloos with some oil drizzled for 25-30 minutes for 180 degrees C.
- sprinkle some black salt, chaat masala and lemon juice or lemon slices.
- serve tandoori aloo hot with some mint chutney.