posting one more favorite sweet mango pickle recipe before the mango season fades. this sweet and sour mango pickle is made with jaggery, nigella seeds and fenugreek seeds.
an easy, simple no fuss pickle without any oil. i am enjoying the mangoes so much in this hot hot weather that i can’t seem to get enough of them. i called up mom-in-law especially for this pickle as the hubby was asking for it to be made. also this is a recipe request from my facebook fan page. i already another recipe of making punjabi mango pickle.
there are two ways of making this mango pickle. either you cook everything together or keep the pickle in sun for 2-3 days. both ways the jaggery that is used in the pickle thickens a bit.
if you cook you will get softer texture of mangoes. if you keep in the sun than the mangoes will have a little crispness to them. you decide how you would love to make this pickle.
i kept the mango pickle in the sun for 3 days…. and what i got was a sweet, spicy, sour pickle with a somewhat crisp mango pieces that have absorbed all the flavors of the spices .
since this is a no oil recipe, my suggestion would be to keep the pickle in the refrigerator. the jaggery and spices do help in preserving the pickle. but still better to keep in the refrigerator. make sure you use clean utensils and a clean sterilized bottle to store the mango pickle.
step by step punjabi sweet & sour mango pickle recipe:
1: firstly wash and wipe dry the raw mangoes. peel the skin and chop the mangoes into bite sized pieces or small pieces. collect these in a bowl. discard the seeds.
2: now add all the spices, spice powders, salt and jaggery.
3: mix well. the jaggery will melt and the whole mixture will look watery. keep in the sun for 2-3 days till the jaggery syrup thickens and the mango pieces tenderize a bit. instead of drying in the sun you can just cook everything together.
4: this is a close up pic of the mango pickle on the 3rd day. i kept for 3 days in the sun.
5: store the mango pickle in a clean or sterilised jar. keep in a cool dark place or keep in the refrigerator. enjoy the sweet and sour mango pickle just plain or with any meal.
sweet and sour mango pickle recipe below:
- 3-4 raw small to medium sized mangoes, rinsed, peeled, stoned and chopped, approx 3.5 to 4 cups of chopped mangoes
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds/kalonji
- ½ tbsp fenugreek seeds/methi seeds or methi dana
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 or 1.5 cup powdered jaggery or sugar – add more if required
- salt or black salt as required
- mix all the ingredients with the chopped mangoes.
- check the taste.
- if required add more jaggery or salt or chili powder
- keep in the sun for 2-3 days till the jaggery thickens a bit and the mangoes tenderize a bit.
- if cooking, then cook for some minutes till the jaggery melts and thickens a bit.
- cover the cooked mango pickle with a clean kitchen napkin and let it cool.
- store mango pickle in a clean bottle or jar.
- serve punjabi mango pickle with any indian meal or parathas or have it plain.
you can also add sugar instead of jaggery.