potato roast or aloo roast recipe is simplicity at its best. this recipe is quick and easy to prepare and serve the purpose of a spicy side dish. all you need is to boil the potatoes and roast them with the spice powders.
this potato roast recipe is also good when you want to prepare a side dish on a short notice. two more similar south indian potato recipe which can also be made as a side dish is potato podimas and potato curry. both these potato recipes does not require much cooking skills and can be prepared by bachelors also. you can also check spicy mushroom roast recipe made in north indian style.
in this recipe i have used sambar powder to give that added zing. if you don’t have sambar powder just make the recipe with red chili powder and turmeric powder. this recipe is slightly spicy and hot, so you can reduce the spices as per your preference. this is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
aloo roast or potato roast recipe below:
- 2-3 medium sized potatoes/aloo or 6-7 small potatoes
- ½ tsp mustard/rai
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp sambar powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2 tbsp oil
- boil or steam the potatoes till they are just cooked. they should not fall apart. peel the potatoes and dice them.
- heat oil in a pan. crackle the mustard seeds first. then add the curry leaves and saute for 10-12 seconds.
- add the diced potatoes and stir. sprinkle all the spice powders, asafoetida and salt.
- stir well, so that the masala coats the potatoes well. saute for 5-6 mins on a low flame.
- keep on turning at intervals to ensure even crisping and roasting of the potatoes.
- you can also garnish the roasted potatoes with coriander leaves (if you prefer).
- serve potato roast as a side dish with sambar rice, rasam rice or dal rice combo.