paneer tikka pizza recipe with step by step photos – looks daunting but trust me this desi pizza is very easy to prepare. this paneer tikka pizza is a must try for folks who like paneer, pizza and desi indian flavors.
this is a healthy pizza as the pizza base is made from whole wheat flour. everything except the mozarella cheese, is made from scratch including the paneer or cottage cheese.
even the pizza sauce is made at home. this is my preferred pizza sauce recipe. i will be posting a separate post on the pizza sauce in some time.
this is a fusion recipe. so while the pizza and pizza sauce are italian, the paneer tikka is indian. if you want a total indian flavor, then make makhani sauce instead of pizza sauce.
when making this pizza, first make the pizza bread dough. when the bread is leavening, you prepare the paneer marinade and keep it for an hour….. and then get to make the pizza sauce. when the bread is doubled up and leavened you start assembling the pizza….. its that easy.
i have created two pic collage for the step wise pics and divided into three main steps – making the pizza dough, paneer tikka and the pizza tomato sauce.
lets start step by step paneer tikka pizza recipe:
preparing the whole wheat pizza dough –
1. proof the yeast in warm water for ten minutes. then add the oil, salt and 1 cup flour.
2. stir with a spoon or spatula. add 1 cup flour more and stir again and you will see the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. add the last 1 cup and using your hands begin to knead the flour.
3. knead to a smooth, soft and elastic dough. rub water all over the dough and keep in the same bowl to leaven the dough. cover the bowl and keep aside.
preparing the paneer tikka –
whisk the yogurt well. then add the all the spice powders and herbs. mix and fold in the paneer cubes, onions, tomatoes and the bell pepper. keep aside for marination for minimum 1 hour.
making the pizza sauce:
puree the tomatoes. heat olive oil and saute the garlic for some seconds. add the tomato puree and saute for 3-4 minutes.
then add chopped basil, dry oregano, black pepper and salt. stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes. keep the sauce aside.
assembling the pizza:
divide the dough into two or three parts depending on the size of your pan. roll the dough into a circle or oval keeping a thickness of 1/4 inch. place the pizza base in a greased and dusted baking pan or tray. brush olive oil on the rolled pizza base.
spread the tomato pizza sauce on the pizza base. evenly arrange the marinated pizza and veggie cubes on the pizza.
sprinkle grated mozarella cheese on the pizza. bake the pizza in a pre heated oven at 250 degrees C for 15-20 minutes or more till the pizza base has been baked and cheese is browned.
remove the pizza from the oven and serve paneer tikka pizza hot with tomato sauce, red chili flakes and italian herb mix.
paneer tikka pizza recipe below:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 to 1.25 cups water
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1.5 or 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt or as required
- 125-150 gms paneer, cubed
- 4 tbsp thick yogurt or hung curd
- 1 medium red, green or yellow bell pepper, diced or cubed
- 1 medium onion, quartered and layers separated
- 1 medium tomato, diced or cubed (optional)
- 3-4 garlic cloves + ½ inch ginger - made into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder or tandoori masala
- ½ tsp carom seeds/ajwain
- ¼ to ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- rock salt + black salt or regular salt, as required
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed - yields approx 1 cup of tomato puree
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ to 1 tsp dry oregano or 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper as required - i added ½ tsp black pepper powder
- mozzarella cheese, grated - as required
- 7-8 pitted black olives, sliced (optional)
- warm 1 cup water in a bowl.
- stir and dissolve the ½ tsp sugar in it.
- sprinkle the yeast and stir.
- cover and keep this mixture for 10-12 minutes at room temperature.
- after 10-12 minutes when the yeast mixture bubbles and froths, add 1 cup
- flour, salt and olive oil.
- stir the mixture well.
- then add another cup of flour and stir again.
- the flour mixture would begin to leave the sides of the flour.
- add the last cup of flour and begin to knead the bowl.
- working with your hands, knead the mixture, till you get a soft, smooth
- and elastic dough.
- if the dough appears dry, then add some water.
- if the dough is little sticky, its alright. but if too sticky then sprinkle some
- flour and continue to knead.
- rub some water all over the pizza bread dough and keep in a covered bowl for 1:30 to 2 hours.
- whisk the yogurt in a bowl till smooth and creamy.
- add all the ginger-garlic paste, carom seeds, salt, lemon juice and all the
- spice powders mentioned above.
- check the taste of the marination and add more salt or lemon juice or the
- spice powders if required
- chop the paneer into cubes.
- dice the onions, bell pepper and tomatoes.
- add the paneer cubes and the diced veggies to the yogurt sauce marinade.
- fold in gently so that the paneer and veggies are evenly coated with the
- cover and keep aside for minimum for 1 hour at room temperature. if
- keeping for more than 2 hours, then refrigerate.
- rinse and then chop the tomatoes.
- puree the tomatoes in a blender or with a hand blender.
- heat olive oil in a small pan.
- then add the chopped garlic and saute for 10-12 seconds.
- add the tomato puree and saute for 3-4 mins.
- when the tomatoes are cooked, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper.
- simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- keep the pizza sauce aside.
- when the dough has doubled up and nicely leavened, then divide the dough into 2-3 parts. 2 parts of the pizza dough will give you a medium
- pizza and 3 parts will give you a small pizza.
- you can refrigerate the remaining dough if not using it immediately.
- grease the baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle some flour on it.
- preheat your oven to 250 degrees C atleast 20 minutes before you begin
- roll the dough on a dusted work flour surface
- place the rolled dough on the greased baking pan or tray.
- brush some olive oil on the pizza base.
- next spread the tomato pizza sauce evenly.
- now top the pizza with the marinated paneer cubes, bell pepper, onions
- and tomatoes
- arrange the olive slices if using.
- sprinkle grated mozarella cheese on the top.
- bake the pizza in the oven for 15-20 minutes or more till the cheese has
- browned from top and the pizza base has been cooked.
- the paneer would also be cooked by then.
- remove and serve the paneer tikka pizza hot with tomato sauce.
you can make pizza from half of the dough and refrigerate the remaining part.
the baking time varies from oven to oven, so do keep an eye whilst the pizza is baking in the oven.
the tomato pizza sauce mentioned in the recipe can be used for two medium pizzas.