here is one easy palak soup or spinach soup. i love soups and specially when its raining or during winter time. its too comforting to sip and sip from a bowl of steaming hot soup in cold weathers.
this spinach soup is a good way to include healthy greens in your diet. despite being one of the healthiest greens, not everyone likes the taste of spinach and that is specially true in the case of some kids and adults alike.
i do make a lot of spinach based dishes and not all go well with the rest of the family. we are all picky eaters. fortunately, my hubby who does not like spinach at all, relished this soup.
generally the combination of spinach goes very well with cream. i have not used cream in this palak soup recipe. so to give a subtle sweetness to this soup, i have added besan aka gram flour. adding gram flour, not only imparts a very mild sweetness in the soup, but also also helps in thickening the soup. addition of the freshly crushed pepper makes the soup warming and spiced.
the palak soup can be served plain or with some crusty breads or even as a starter. you can also add some cooked macaroni in the soup.
i made a video so that you can see its ridiculously easy to make this soup with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen.
palak soup recipe video below:
spinach soup or palak soup recipe below:
- 1.5 to 2 cups, chopped spinach/palak
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2-3 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp besan/gram flour
- ¼ tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- 1 small bay leaf/tej patta
- 2 cups water
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp olive oil or butter
- cream for topping (optional)
- some freshly crushed black pepper or grated cheese or paneer/cottage cheese or cream for garnishing (optional)
- salt and pepper as required
- first rinse the spinach/palak leaves very well in water. then chop them and keep aside.
- heat oil or butter in a sauce pan. add the bay leaf and fry for 2-3 seconds
- now add the chopped garlic and fry till the garlic is light browned or browned. don't burn the garlic.
- fry the garlic on a low flame. add chopped onions and saute till the onions are softened.
- add the chopped palak/spinach. stir and season with black pepper and salt.
- now add the besan or gram flour. stir well and pour 2 cups water.
- bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- switch off the fire and let the soup mixture cool.
- when the mixture's heat has reduced or has become warm, then blend with a hand
- blender or in a mixer till smooth.
- check the seasoning and add some more salt or pepper if required.
- if the palak soup looks thick, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and stir.
- keep the well blended palak soup back on the stove for simmering for 2-3 minutes.
- serve palak soup hot sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper or grated paneer, cheese or topped with some cream.