palak soup recipe with step by step photos. here is one easy and tasty low calorie spinach soup recipe. i love soups and specially when its raining or during winter time. its too comforting to sip and sip from a bowl of steaming hot soup in cold weathers.
this spinach soup is a good way to include healthy greens in your diet and is low calorie too. despite being one of the healthiest greens, not everyone likes the taste of spinach and that is specially true in the case of some kids and adults alike.
i do make a lot of spinach based dishes and not all go well with the rest of the family. we are all picky eaters. fortunately, my hubby who does not like spinach at all, relished this soup. if you want to check more spinach recipes then check this link → 29 palak recipes.
generally the combination of spinach goes very well with cream. i have not used cream in this palak soup recipe. so to give a subtle sweetness to this soup, i have added besan aka gram flour. adding gram flour, not only imparts a very mild sweetness in the soup, but also also helps in thickening the soup. addition of the freshly crushed pepper makes the soup warming and spiced.
the palak soup can be served plain or with some crusty breads or even as a starter. you can also add some cooked macaroni in the soup.
i made a video so that you can see its ridiculously easy to make this soup with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen.
palak soup recipe video below:
if you are looking for more soup recipes then do check:
spinach soup or palak soup recipe card below:
palak soup recipe | spinach soup recipe
palak soup recipe - easy, creamy and low calorie spinach soup recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 to 2 cups spinach (palak), chopped
- ¼ cup onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf) - small size
- 2 cups water
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- black pepper powder as required
- salt as required
- cream for topping (optional)
- some freshly crushed black pepper or grated cheese or paneer/cottage cheese or cream for garnishing - optional
how to make recipe
first rinse the palak leaves (spinach) very well in water.
then chop the palak leaves and keep aside.
making palak soup recipe:
- heat oil or butter in a sauce pan. add the bay leaf and fry for 2-3 seconds
- now add the chopped garlic and fry till the garlic is light browned or browned. don't burn the garlic.
saute the garlic on a low flame. add chopped onions and saute till the onions are softened.
- add the chopped palak/spinach. stir and season with black pepper and salt.
- now add the besan or gram flour. stir well and pour 2 cups water.
- bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- add cumin powder and stir well.
switch off the fire and let the palak soup mixture cool.
when the mixture's heat has reduced or has become warm, then blend with a hand blender or in a mixer till smooth.
remove the tej patta (indian bay leaf) while blending.
- check the seasoning and add some more salt or pepper if required.
- if the palak soup looks thick, then add 1/4 or 1/2 cup water and stir.
- keep the well blended palak soup back on the stove for simmering for 2-3 minutes.
- serve palak soup hot sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper or grated paneer, cheese or topped with some cream.
this approximate nutrition info is per serving:
how to make spinach soup or palak soup recipe:
1. first rinse the palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
2. then chop them and keep aside.
3. heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil or butter in a sauce pan or kadai. add one tej patta (indian bay leaf) and saute for 2-3 seconds.
4. then add 2 to 3 chopped garlic. saute till the garlic is light browned or browned. don’t burn the garlic. fry the garlic on a low flame.
5. then add ¼ cup chopped onions.
6. saute till the onions are softened.
7. add 1.5 to 2 cups chopped palak (spinach).
8. stir and season with black pepper and salt as required.
9. now add 1 tablespoon besan or gram flour.
10. stir and mix well.
11. pour 2 cups water.
12. bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
13. add ¼ teaspoon cumin powder.
14. stir well.
15. switch off the fire and let the palak soup mixture cool or become warm.
16. remove the tej patta (indian bay leaf).
17. then blend with a hand blender or in a mixer till smooth.
18. check the seasoning and add some more salt or black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), if required.
19. if the palak soup looks thick, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and stir.
20. keep the well blended palak soup back on the stove for simmering for 2-3 minutes.
21. serve palak soup hot sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper. you can also sprinkle some grated paneer, cheese or add some low fat cream if you want.