this recipe of palak biryani is one easy biryani recipe. usually making biryani is a very elaborate and time consuming task. although it is worth the time but many times we don’t have so much time and we look for easy solution for our meals. if some day you want to try authentic veg biryani then i suggest you to try this elaborate recipe of hyderabadi veg biryani.
coming back to this simple biryani recipe. if you have spinach and want an easy as well as satisfying meal, then do make this green palak biryani. other recipes you can make with spinach and rice combo is palak khichdi and palak pulao recipe.
pair the palak biryani with a boondi raita or just kachumber (side salad), pickle and papad and you have one complete meal. you can also have the biryani with some plain yogurt.
there are no layers in this method and you don’t have to cook two or three things. the spinach is pureed and then cooked with the onion, tomatoes, spices along with the rice. easy and a quick biryani recipe unlike the regular biryanis.
i have also added almonds in the spinach puree just to give a creamy and smooth touch. the spinach blends very well with the aroma and flavors of the other ingredients resulting in a delicious biryani.
i have slightly overcooked the rice. i used 4.5 cups water. if you use 3.5 or 4 cups water (depending on the quality of rice), you will get separate grains of rice. just make sure that you cover the pan tightly with the lid while cooking the rice.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“. another option, is to occasionally show interest in our facebook page updates by liking, sharing or commenting in the facebook post. thanks for your continuous support and cooperation.
palak biryani recipe details below:
- 2 cups basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4 or 4.5 cups of water
- 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- some fried cashews for garnishing (optional)
- salt as required
- 1 inch cinnamon (dal chini)
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 or 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 2-3 cloves (laung)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- a pinch of mace (jayitri or javitri)
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp cumin (jeera powder)
- 1 tsp fennel (saunf powder)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 medium bunch spinach (palak)
- ½ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- 5-6 almonds (badam)
- rinse the palak/spinach leaves well. chop and keep aside. rinse & chop the green chilies, mint and coriander leaves
- in a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chili and almonds.
- add ½ cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
- first rinse and then soak the rice. when the rice is soaking, prepare the spinach puree as mentioned above.
- heat oil in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. add all the whole spices.
- fry for some seconds or till the oil gets fragrant. add the sliced onions & fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds. now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
- keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- add the spinach puree and stir. saute for 3-4 minutes. now all the dry spice powders one by one and stir.
- drain the soaked rice and add. stir for 1-2 minutes. pour 4 or 4.5 cups water. add salt and stir.
- check the taste of the broth and if required add some more salt.
- cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- fluff the rice.
- serve palak biryani hot garnished with the fried onions and fried cashews with a side vegetable curry, raita, yogurt curry or some salad.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media