palak biryani recipe with step by step photos – this recipe of palak biryani is one easy biryani recipe. usually making biryani is a very elaborate and time consuming task. although it is worth the time but many times we don’t have so much time and we look for easy solution for our meals. if some day you want to try authentic veg biryani then i suggest you to check this elaborate recipe of hyderabadi veg biryani or this restaurant style dum biryani recipe.
coming back to this simple spinach biryani recipe. if you have spinach and want an easy as well as satisfying meal, then do make this green palak biryani. few more spinach recipes you can make are:
pair the palak biryani with a boondi raita or just kachumber (side salad), pickle and papad and you have one complete meal. you can also have the biryani with some plain yogurt.
there are no layers in this method and you don’t have to cook two or three things. the spinach is pureed and then cooked with the onion, tomatoes, spices along with the rice. easy and a quick biryani recipe unlike the regular biryanis.
i have also added almonds in the spinach puree just to give a creamy and smooth touch. the spinach blends very well with the aroma and flavors of the other ingredients resulting in a delicious biryani.
i have slightly overcooked the rice. i used 4.5 cups water. if you use 3.5 or 4 cups water (depending on the quality of rice), you will get separate grains of rice. just make sure that you cover the pan tightly with the lid while cooking the rice.
palak biryani recipe card below:
spinach biryani recipe | palak biryani recipe
palak biryani recipe - lightly spiced, aromatic and easy spinach biryani recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for palak biryani:
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4 or 4.5 cups of water
- 3 tablespoon oil or ghee
- some fried cashews for garnishing (optional)
- salt as required
whole spices for biryani:
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 or 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 2-3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 bay leaf tej patta
- 1 pinch mace (jayitri or javitri)
dry spice powders for biryani
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel (saunf powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
for making spinach puree:
- 1 medium bunch of spinach (palak)
- ½ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- 5-6 almonds (badam)
how to make recipe
making palak puree:
rinse the palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
chop and keep aside. rinse & chop the green chilies, mint and coriander leaves
- in a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chili and almonds.
- add 1/2 cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
making palak biryani:
- first rinse and then soak the rice. when the rice is soaking, prepare the spinach puree as mentioned above.
- heat oil in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. add all the whole spices.
fry for some seconds or till the oil gets fragrant.
add the sliced onions & fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds. now add hing and saute for few seconds.
add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- add the spinach puree and stir. saute for 3-4 minutes. now all the dry spice powders one by one and stir.
add salt as required.
drain the soaked rice and add. stir for 1-2 minutes. pour 4 or 4.5 cups water.
- check the taste of the broth and if required add some more salt.
- cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- fluff the rice.
- serve palak biryani hot garnished with the fried onions and fried cashews with a side vegetable curry, raita, yogurt curry or some salad.
how to make easy palak biryani recipe:
1. rinse palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
2. measure, rinse and chop 1 medium bunch of spinach leaves, 1 to 2 green chilies, ½ cup mint leaves, ½ cup coriander leaves and 5 to 6 almonds.
3. in a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chili and almonds.
4. add ½ cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
5. first rinse and then soak the rice for 30 minutes.
6. keep all the spice powders, whole spices and ginger-garlic paste ready for making spinach biryani.
7. heat 3 tablespoon oil or ghee in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. add 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini), 1 small star anise (chakriphool), 2 green cardamoms, 1 to 2 black cardamoms, 2 to 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf and 1 pinch mace (javitri).
8. fry for some seconds or till the oil gets fragrant.
9. add 1 large sized sliced onion.
10. saute and fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
11. add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
12. add 1 pinch of hing (asafoetida).
13. saute for few seconds.
14. now add 1 medium sized chopped tomato.
15. fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
16. keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan. add the spinach puree and stir.
17. saute for 3-4 minutes.
18. now add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon fennel powder and 1 teaspoon coriander powder one by one and stir.
19. add salt as required.
20. stir and mix well.
21. drain the soaked rice and add.
22. stir for 1-2 minutes.
23. pour 4 or 4.5 cups water.
24. check the taste of the broth and if required add some more salt.
25. cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
26. fluff the rice.
serve palak biryani hot garnished with the fried onions and fried cashews with a side vegetable curry, raita, yogurt curry or some salad.