gujarati surati dal recipe – i often make gujarati dal at home. it is one of the simplest and yet flavorful dal.
while this is not the recipe for gujarati dal, but surati dal. I had seen this dal recipe in one of the cookbooks which i have and had bookmarked it.
what i liked about surati dal was that there were peanuts added to the dal. the surati dal is made from tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils) and is slightly sweet & sour due to the addition of jaggery and lemon juice. the tomatoes also add a lot of flavor to the dal. few more dal recipes which have sweet and sour taste are maharashtrian amti dal, khatti meethi dal and gujarati dal recipe.
this is also a no onion and no garlic recipe. if you observe the pics, the dal has a thin consistency hence pairs very well with rice and even goes well with chapatis or rotis. so here is the comforting and healthy gujarati surati dal recipe for you.
i make dal every alternate day, be it dal fry or dal tadka and these simple dal recipes never get updated by me on the blog. so i have decided that i am going to post everyday food that we make at home like dal, vegetable curries & stir fries, simple chutneys and salads (kachumber) on the blog.
gujarati surati dal recipe details below:
- ¾ cup tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 2 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ or ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 2 tbsp unroasted raw peanuts
- 1 sprig curry leaves/kadi patta
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp jaggery or sugar (gur or chini)
- ½ or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt as required
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1-2 dry red chilies
- pick and rinse the tuvar dal. pressure cook the dal with the tomatoes in 2.5 or 3 cups of water till the dal is completely cooked.
- with a whisk or with a wooden spoon, mash the lentils to a smooth mixture.
- add the peanuts, green chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger & jaggery and salt to the dal.
- bring the whole dal to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- if the consistency of the dal becomes thick, then add some water. switch off the flame.
- heat oil or ghee in a pan. add the mustard seeds and when they pop, add the asafoetida.
- lastly add the red chilies. fry for a few seconds but don't burn.
- quickly pour this tempering along with the oil in the dal.
- stir and continue to simmer the dal for a couple of minutes.
- add lemon juice and stir. check the seasonings.
- garnish surati dal with coriander leaves.
- serve the hot surati dal with rotis or rice along with a side vegetable dish.
2. the consistency of the surati dal is usually thin, but you can make a medium consistency one.