dal makhani dhaba style recipe – dal makhani is one of the most popular dal recipe of india along with dal tadka and dal fry. i have already shared easy one pot way of making dal makhani recipe and also restaurant style dal makhani recipe. well, this one pot recipe is the way, my mil makes dal makhani at home and is liked by all.
the dal makhani recipe posted here is how this creamy dal is served and relished in punjabi dhabas. this is one dal which is made by every dhaba and is usually had with rotis or different varieties of parathas.
like sarson ka saag and langarwali dal, the taste of dal makhani also improves with time. so you might like it even more on the second day. but keep in mind that it is little heavy on stomach and to get the best taste addition of makhan (butter) is must. so eat in moderation no matter how delicious you find this creamy dal.
the recipe of dhaba style dal makhani has been adapted from the book “the dhabas of amritsar” (India | US). this recipe is the simplest recipe allowing the flavors of urad dal coming through in the dish. only tomatoes, garlic and red chili powder are used in the recipe. so there is a slight tang of the tomatoes in this mildly spiced dal makhani. the original recipe does not use rajma or kidney beans, but i have added them. many people add rajma to dal makhani and many don’t.
dal makhani is best served with naan, rotis, paratha or plain rice. also goes very well with jeera rice.
the dal makhani pics are very plain and simple as on some days there is no time to do anything.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
dal makhani dhaba style recipe below:
- 1 cup black gram or sabut urad dal
- ¼ cup kidney beans or rajma (optional)
- ¾ to 1 cup tomato puree (approx 2 medium tomatoes pureed)
- 8-10 garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder or kashmiri red chili powder or add as per your taste
- 2.5 tbsp oil or 3 tbsp butter
- 2 to 3 tbsp cream
- salt as required
- rinse and soak the lentils in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- drain and then add them in a pressure cooker.
- add 4 cups water and pressure cook on high or medium flame for 12-15 whistles.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- drain the water and rinse the lentils.
- put back the lentils in the pressure cooker.
- add 4 cups fresh water, tomato puree, butter or oil, garlic, red chili powder, cream and salt.
- stir and mix well.
- pressure cook again for 12-15 whistles on a medium to high flame.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and check the lentils and the consistency of the dal.
- the lentils should be completely cooked and mushy.
- now simmer the dal without any lid on a low to medium flame, till the consistency becomes medium and smooth.
- mash some lentils with the back of a spoon to thicken the dal.
- the lentils should become so soft, that they should melt in your mouth.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or red chili powder if required.
- simmer for 15-18 minutes or more till you get a creamy smooth consistency like the way you see in the dhabas and restaurants.
- serve the dal makhani hot plain or topped with some butter or cream along with rotis, naan, paratha or plain or jeera rice.
2. if in the third stage of cooking the consistency becomes thick, add some water.
3. if the consistency is thin, then simmer dal makhani for a longer period of time till you get the desired consistency.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media