kutchi dabeli recipe with step by step photos – dabeli is a street food which originated in kutch. dabeli is also called as kutchi dabeli or kachchhi dabeli. its a very popular street snack and can be easily found in mumbai as well as gujarat.
basically dabeli is a spicy, tangy and sweet potato filling inside a bun – more specifically the indian bun – called as pav, drizzled with a spicy and sweet chutney and some pomegranate, grapes, onions and sev/fried gram flour vermicelli. even though there were many dabeli stalls near my home in mumbai, i never ever brought dabeli from these stalls.
this dabeli recipe is a breeze if you have everything ready. or else spend some time in making the dabeli masala and the chutneys.
everything for the dabeli, i made at home except for the fine sev and tamarind dates chutney. so it took me some time. i used ready made tamarind dates chutney.
i made the whole wheat bread at home and had made the dough a day earlier. so it was just baking the bread whilst i was preparing the other stuff for dabeli. i have not mentioned the bread recipe in this post. you could use ready made burger buns or pav.
this recipe is adapted from tarla dalal’s dabeli recipe. its a very good recipe and all you dabeli lovers must try this one. you are going to love it.
kachchhi or kutchi dabeli recipe below:
- 1 dry red chili (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or coriander powder (sabut dhania or dhania powder)
- ½ inch stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 to 2 red chilies - soaked in warm water for 30-40 minutes
- ½ cup garlic (lahsun) - chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 3 medium sized potatoes - boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon dabeli masala
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 2 tablespoon tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves or dhania patta)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon water (optional)
- 4 to 5 buns or pav sliced and lightly roasted in some butter or oil
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup nylon sev
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- garlic chutney as required
- sweet tamarind dates chutney as required
- dry roast the red chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds.
- add all the ingredients in a dry grinder.
- grind to a fine powder.
- keep aside.
- in a wet grinder or blender, grind the soaked red chilies, garlic, lemon juice and salt to a smooth paste.
- add water if required. keep aside.
- boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or microwave oven.
- peel and mash them and keep aside.
- in a pan or kadai, heat oil. add cumin.
- then add chopped onion and fry the onions till they become soft.
- add asafoetida/hing and fry for a minute on a low flame.
- add the sweet tamarind dates chutney to the onions and mix well.
- add the mashed potatoes and again mix well.
- add the dabeli masala powder to the mashed potatoes. mix well and add salt.
- cook for 2-3 minutes stirring the mixture.
- if the mixture looks a little dry then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water.
- when done, spread the potato filling on a plate.
- sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling.
- add some chopped coriander on top.
- now add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both.
- keep the potato stuffing aside.
- assemble all the ingredients mentioned under serving in one place.
- apply the sweet chutney on one slice of the bun and the red garlic chutney on the other side.
- take a slice of the potato filling and put it on top of one of the slices of bread.
- add some chopped onion and coriander leaves
- top it up with some roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds.
- sprinkle some dabeli masala also. lastly top it with sev.
- cover with the other slice of bread.
- prepare the remaining dabeli pav in the same way and serve dabeli warm.
1: instead of the red garlic chutney you can also use mint coriander chutney. 2: dabeli masala powder is easily available in the indian metros. so you could use ready dabeli masala. 3:other variation is to add pav bhaji masala instead of dabeli masala. the dabeli will still taste good. 4: lastly to add more spice, add spiced or masala peanuts instead of plain peanuts.
lets start step by step kachchhi dabeli recipe.
i have categorized each part so that it is easy to follow and understand.
a: making the dabeli masala:
1: dry roast the red chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds. you cannot see the coriander seeds as i have used my homemade roasted coriander powder while grinding the masala.
2: add all the ingredients in a dry grinder.
3: grind to a fine powder. you will have some powder left even after adding it in dabeli. you can use it in some veggies or rice recipes.
b: making the red garlic chutney for dabeli:
1: soak the red chilies in warm water for 30-40 mins. in a wet grinder add the soaked red chilies, garlic, lemon juice.
2: grind to a smooth paste. add water if required while grinding. keep this red garlic chutney aside.
c: making the potato filling for dabeli:
1: boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or microwave oven. peel and mash them and keep aside. don’t have a pic of this one. in a pan or kadai, heat oil. add cumin. then add chopped onion. fry the onions till they become soft.
2: add asafoetida/hing and fry for a minute on a low flame.
3: add the tamarind dates chutney to the onions and mix well.
4: add the mashed potatoes and again mix well.
5: add the dabeli masala powder to the mashed potatoes.
6: mix well and add salt.
7: cook for 2-3 minutes stirring the mixture. if the mixture looks a little dry then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water. i did not have to add any water to the potato mixture.
8: when done, spread the potato filling on a plate….. not sure why it is looking so orangish… i guess me playing with the camera settings has resulted in such a weird photo…..
9: sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling.
10: add some chopped coriander.
11: now add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both. i did not have grapes at home.
d: frying the slices of bread:
1: while all of the above was happening my wheat flour buns were ready and hot from the oven.
2: slice the bun or pav into two. on a tava or griddle, melt some butter and lightly roast the buns or pav in butter. keep aside.
e: serving the dabeli:
1: assemble all the ingredients required for making dabeli in one place. the pic below says it all.
2: apply the sweet chutney on one slice of the bun and the red garlic chutney on the other side.
3: take a slice of the prepared potato filling and put it on top of one of the slices of bread. this one has a little extra of the coriander leaves.
4: add some chopped onion and coriander.
5: top it up with some roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds. sprinkle some dabeli masala also.
6: the last topping is of sev. you can also roll the stuffed buns in the sev.
7: cover with the other slice of bread. in the same way make all the dabeli pav and serve these beautiful, yummy and gorgeous street food snack to your loved ones.