Chana Pulao…. one of the rare pulaos which was rarely made at home. I do remember a muslim neighbor aunty who would make fabulous Chana Pulao. Well… while making this channa pulao recipe and writing this post I do remember the aroma and taste still lingering in my mind of her Chana Pulaos. She would make fabulous rice dishes like biryanis and pulaos, but her pulaos were to die for. The rice was always cooked to perfection and the taste of the pulao was just heavenly.
For the Chana pulao obviously you will need boiled white chickpeas (Chana or Kabuli Chana in Hindi). If you have leftover boiled chickpeas than these too can be used. The pulao has to be made with basmati rice and ghee or else something will be a little amiss if you do not use basmati rice and ghee. This is a quick, simple and easy pulao to make. So here is the recipe for Chana Pulao.
Chana Pulao: Serves 2-3
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Chana Pulao Recipe:
- 1.5 cup/2 cups boiled chanas/chickpeas
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup curd
- 2 onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 or 2 green chilies
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (shahjeera)
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 small green cardamom
- 1/2 strands of mace
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- few strands of saffron
- 2 tbsp warm milk
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup chopped coriander and mint leaves
Method to make Chana Pulao Recipe:
- First boil the chanas/chickpeas and keep it ready. Soak the chanas overnight in water and pressure cook them for 4-5 whistles till done. Add some salt while pressure cooking the chanas.
- Now chop all your accompanying vegetables like onions, tomatoes, chillies, coriander and mint leaves and keep aside.
- Smoothen the curd and keep aside. You see in the pic below that I have not done it. Hmmm… I have done it later but forgot to take pic.
- Soak the saffron dissolved in warm milk.
- In a pressure cooker heat the ghee and splutter the caraway seeds.
- Then add all the whole garam masala – cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf.
- Fry the whole garam masala for few seconds and then add the onions.
- Fry the onions till golden brown.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic disappears. Add the chopped tomatoes & green chillies.
- Saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and add the basmati rice. Mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
- Add the curd, saffron-milk mixture and again mix everything well.
- Add the boiled chanas/chickpeas, coriander and mint leaves with 1.5 cups of water
- Season with salt and pressure cook the rice till done.
- enjoy the channa pulao:-)
you might love to check these interesting pulao recipes:
below is the printable recipe of channa pulao recipe: