chana dal paratha recipe with step by step photos – one more popular paratha made in punjabi homes for breakfast. i have already shared one chana dal methi paratha where the dough is kneaded with leftover chana dal.
this chana dal paratha is made differently. the chana dal is stuffed in the paratha and then made. here the chana dal is cooked fresh and then mixed with spices. this filling is stuffed in the paratha.
the chana dal or bengal gram has to be soaked before and then cooked in pressure cooker. while making the paratha, sometimes the chana dal comes out. don’t worry about that. as the chana dal is already spiced so you will love to eat them like that. just make sure that you don’t use too much chana dal in the stuffing, so that it does not break much.
the parathas on this day was made by my mother in law and we were leaving out after having the breakfast. so the final pics are really taken in a hurry and i also clicked very few pics.
usually this chana dal paratha is served for breakfast. this is a filling paratha because of the addition of chana dal. the paratha best goes with green chilies pickle or mango pickle, yogurt and white butter.
chana dal paratha recipe below:
chana dal paratha recipe
chana dal paratha recipe - whole wheat flat breads stuffed with a spiced chana dal or bengal gram mixture.
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
for the dough:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 cup water or more if required
- 1 to 2 teaspoon ghee or oil (optional)
- salt as required (optional)
for the chana dal paratha stuffing:
- 1 cup bengal gram (chana dal) - soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- 1 small to medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chillies (hari mirch), chopped
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) or a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur) or as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoon coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- ghee or oil for frying the parathas as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
making dough for chana dal paratha:
- in a mixing bowl first mix the flour with salt. add the ghee and half cup water.
- first mix everything with your hands and then begin to knead the dough.
add the remaining ½ cup of water and continue to knead. the dough should become soft and pliable.
- if the dough becomes sticky then add some flour and if it looks dry and crumbly add some water. cover the dough and let it rest for 30 mins.
making chana dal paratha stuffing:
- soak the chana dal/bengal gram overnight or for 3-4 hours (check notes)
- add the soaked chana dal in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water.
- pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistle (check notes)
- the chana dal should be cooked well and yet remain separate. they should not become mushy or pasty.
- drain the dal in a strainer. keep the dal in the strainer for 15-20 minutes so that all water gets drained off. there should be no water in the dal.
- if there is any moisture in the dal you won't be able to make the parathas.
- you can also very lightly squeeze the dal in your palms without mashing them if you don't have a strainer.
mix the drained chana dal with finely chopped onions, dry mango powder (amchur), garam masala powder, green chilies, asafoetida (hing) and salt
rolling chana dal paratha:
- pinch a medium sized ball from the dough. first roll it well between your palms.
- then on a dusted flour, roll it out to a small circle with a rolling pin.
- now add the spiced chana dal mixture/filling in the center of the rolled out dough.
- bring the edges together and join them in the center.
- now by applying pressure with your fingers press the edges down and make a neat stuffed ball. make sure there are no tears or cracks.
in a lightly dusted rolling board or surface, roll the stuffed dough ball with a rolling pin (belan) gently.
make sure that the chana dal parathas do not break. although some chana dal pieces might come out.
- dust with more flour if required. roll it into a size of a normal roti or chapati.
making chana dal paratha:
- put the rolled chana dal paratha on a tava or hot griddle.
fry the chana dal paratha with oil or ghee.
be liberal in using oil or ghee while frying the paratha as this make the parathas more crisp.
make sure that the edges are also fried well. you can also press the paratha edges with spatula so that they are cooked well.
this way, fry both the sides of the paratha till you see some brown spots and it is fried well.
serve the chana dal paratha hot with curd (yogurt) or white butter or pickle.
few tips for chana dal methi paratha:
- if soaking overnight than pressure cook the chana dal for one whistle on medium to high flame.
- if soaking for 3-4 hours, then pressure cook for two whistles on medium to high flame.
step by step chana dal paratha recipe:
1. pick and rinse 1 cup chana dal in running water for a couple of times. drain all the water.
2. soak the chana dal in water overnight. you can also soak them for 3-4 hours (check notes for the pressure cooking time in the recipe details).
3. add this soaked chana dal in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and pressure cook them for 1 whistle.
4. the lentils should be cooked well and yet stay separate. in a strainer drain the chana dal and let all the water drain well. keep the chana dal in the strainer for 15-20 minutes so that all the water is drained off. if there is any moisture in the dal you won’t be able to make the parathas. you can also very lightly squeeze the dal in your palms without mashing them if you don’t have a strainer.
5. in a bowl or plate, mix the chana dal with finely chopped onions, chopped green chili, garam masala powder, dry mango powder (amchur), asafoetida (hing) and salt. gently mix and keep aside.
6. take a medium ball from the dough and first roll between your palms. on a lightly dusted flour, roll the medium dough ball out in a small circle. now put the spiced chana dal mixture/filling in the center of the rolled out dough.
7. bring all the edges together and join the edges. press the edges down and make a stuffed flat ball.
8. on a lightly dusted surface, roll the stuffed dough with a rolling pin gently. make sure that the chana dal parathas do not break. although some chana dal pieces might come out. dust with more flour if required. roll it into a size of a normal roti or chapati.
9. put the rolled chana dal paratha on a tava or hot griddle. fry the chana dal paratha with oil or ghee.
10. be liberal in using oil or ghee while frying the paratha and make sure that the edges are fried well. you can also press the paratha edges with spatula. this way, fry both the sides of the paratha till you see some brown spots appearing on it. these chana dal parathas are usually made extra golden and some charred spots are preferred.
11. remove from the pan and serve the chana dal paratha hot with curd, butter or pickle.