bharwan bhindi or stuffed okra recipe. in hindi bharwan means stuffed and bhindi means okra. so in english the recipe translates to stuffed okra…. easy?
this is a no onion-garlic recipe. it is just the spices, okra, salt and oil. thats it….. an easy bhindi recipe. but remember, rinsing, drying and then stuffing the bhindi (okra) does take time.
the spices i use for the bharwan bhindi are the similar with the bhindi do pyaaza that i make. adding dry mango powder makes the okra tangy and sour.
also this is not a spicy bharwan bhindi as i have used red chili powder in moderation. plus the other spice powders like coriander, cumin and turmeric also contribute their flavors and tastes.
there is also no garam masala powder added here. but if you want a little more spiced and aromatic bharwan bhindi, you can add a little garam masala powder.
bharwan bhindi makes for an excellent side veggie dish with rotis and dal. bharwan bhindi can also be served as starters. at home i make this with rotis and curd or dal-rice.
summers are here and i most of the times go for light veggie dishes and yogurt curries or thin dals. this is one such light dish. few more stuffed veggie recipes on the blog are bharwan karela, bharwan shimla mirch and bharwan tendli.
stuffed okra or bharwan bhindi recipe below:
- 500 gm okra/bhindi
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp dry mango powder/amchur
- 2 tbsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- salt or black salt or rock salt
- wash, wipe dry and trim the both the ends of the bhindi (okra).
- slit each bhindi vertically without breaking or cutting into two halves.
- combine all the spice powder ingredients in a bowl with salt. mix well.
- fill each bhindi with the spice mixture.
- heat oil in a kadai/wok.
- add the stuffed bhindi and cook on low heat till done.
- serve bharwan bhindi hot with chapatis.
1. there should be no trace of water on the bhindi (okra). hence we dry them with a kitchen napkin. if there is water or water droplets than the bhindi become slimy. this bharwan bhindi dish is not at all slimy or gooey. it is dry dish with the okra succulently cooked absorbing all the flavors of the spices.
2. use fresh spice powders and not outdated or stale ones. better to use home made spice powders.
3. you can always add more salt or any spice powder later if you feel any of it is less.
4. for a more tangy and sour taste increase the quantity of mango powder by ¼ to ½ tbsp or more
step by step stuffed okra or bharwan bhindi recipe:
1: wash 500 gram whole bhindi/okra in water, drain and then wipe them dry with a kitchen towel. keep aside.
2: take all the dry masala powders in a bowl – 1 tbsp dry mango powder/amchur, 2 tbsp coriander powder/dhania powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder.
add salt and mix all the entire dry masala together. keep aside.
3: trim the head and the base of the bhindis. with a knife give a slit on the bhindi without breaking it in to two parts. the whole bhindi (okra) should be intact. stuff the masala in the bhindi one by one with a small spoon or with your hands
4: heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a kadai or wok. add the stuffed bhindi to the oil. gently stir. if any masala remains you can add it to the bhindi. you don’t need to cover the kadai. let the bhindi cook on a low flame. we don’t want the masala to burn hence the bhindi needs to be cooked on a low flame. ensure that you check the bhindi in between and also give a nice stir a few times.
5: once well cooked, serve the bharwan bhindi with rotis and yogurt or raita. bharwan bhindi also goes well with a combination of dal and rice. simple indian home food. you can garnish the bharwan bhindi with coriander leaves. i have shown the mint leaves only for photographic purpose.