i made this banana peel thoran after i had made the raw banana chips. a nice way to use the peels, instead of throwing them away.
the banana peel thoran recipe is simple but too delicious. if you have had cooked raw banana, then you can easily know the taste and flavors in this thoran.
since i a big fan of coconut in any dish, i just had the thoran with some steamed rice without even taking the accompanying dal fry. it was a comforting and satisfying meal.
this is not the traditional way of making this banana peel thoran. generally fresh coconut is coarsely ground with cumin and green chilies. i have used desiccated coconut powder. hence have not ground fresh coconut.
so the next time, when you make any dish with raw unripe bananas, don’t throw away the peels. try making this thoran instead 🙂
banana peel thoran recipe details below:
banana peel thoran recipe - a delicious stir fried dish made with banana peels, spices and coconut.
- peels removed from 4 medium bananas
- 1 small onion or 2-3 shallots - chopped
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 dry red chili, kept whole (sookhi lal mirch)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 3 tablespoon dessicated coconut or freshly grated coconut
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- salt as required
- first rinse the bananas. when removing the peels, soak them in a bowl of water, so that they don't darken.
- you can also soak them in water in which about 1/4 tsp turmeric powder is added.
- slice the black dark spots from the peels if there are any and chop them finely.
- heat oil in a pan. first crackle the mustard seeds.
- add the chopped onion or shallots. saute till the onions are transparent.
- now add the red chili, green chili, cumin powder, asafoetida/hing, and curry leaves.
- saute for some seconds. add the turmeric powder and stir.
- add the banana peels and the coconut.
- if using fresh coconut, then coarsely ground the grated coconut, green chilies and cumin seeds and add it at this stage.
- sprinkle salt and stir. add about 1/4 or 1/2 cup water. cover the pan and let the peels cook till they are done.
- check in between to see the doneness and also to see if the thoran has not dried up whilst cooking.
- add some more water if required if the peels are still not done and cover and cook further.
- when the peels are cooked and if there is some moisture or water in the pan, then just dry it on low flame.
- serve the banana peel thoran hot with some steamed rice, accompanied with dal, sambar and rasam.