aloo tamatar sabzi recipe with step by step photos – potato tomato curry made without onion-garlic and heavy ingredients or spices. this is a very easy and simple aloo tamatar sabzi which you can make for navratri fasting or any other fasting days.
potatoes are very friendly and handy vegetables for home cooks. they are good on their own or in company with other vegetables… be it with spinach, peas, carrots, fenugreek, beans, cauliflower, capsicum or tomatoes.
usually aloo tamatar sabzi is made to go with pooris and is often made for breakfast. but in that dish we use onions and garlic. since this dish was made for navratri fasting, i have spiced with cumin, red chilli powder and black pepper powder.
aloo tamatar sabzi recipe card below:
- 2 medium potatoes or 1 extra large potato or aloo
- 4-5 medium tomatoes/tamatar
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ tsp red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder/kali mirch powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil or ½ tbsp ghee
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing
- rock salt/sendha namak as required
- add 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker or pan. add 2 potatoes and some rock salt or sendha namak. boil the potatoes till done.
- the potatoes should be just cooked. they should not become crumbly.
- allow the potatoes to cool down slightly, then peel the potatoes.
- dice the potatoes.
- heat the oil or ghee in a pan.
- add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- then add 4-5 medium chopped tomatoes.
- saute till they become soft.
- you will see the oil leaving the sides.
- then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and sendha namak or rock salt as required.
- mix well.
- add the chopped potatoes and stir again
- add 1 cup water.
- stir and let the curry cook for 7-8 minutes or more on a low flame, till it thickens slightly.
- mash a few potato pieces with a spoon in the curry, to help in thickening the gravy.
- garnish with coriander leaves.
- serve the aloo tamatar with vrat ki roti or singhare ke poori or rajgire ki poori.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
how to make aloo tamatar sabzi recipe:
1. add 1.25 to 1.5 cups water in a pressure cooker or pan. add 2 potatoes and some rock salt or sendha namak. boil the potatoes till done. the potatoes should be just cooked. they should not become crumbly.
3. keep all the ingredients ready for making aloo tamatar sabzi recipe.
4. heat ½ tablespoon oil or ghee in a pan.
5. add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them splutter.
6. then add 4-5 medium sized tomatoes (chopped).
7. saute till they become soft.
8. you will see the oil leaving the sides.
10. mix well.
14. slightly mash a few potato pieces with a spoon in the curry, to help in thickening the gravy.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
15. garnish with coriander leaves. serve aloo tamatar sabzi with vrat ki roti or singhare ke poori or rajgire ka paratha.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media