from the time i had seen this aloo anardana salad recipe in jigg kalra’s cookbook prashad – cooking with indian masters i wanted to try it. finally gave a try and this has become a most loved and wanted potato salad at home.
this salad is basically made from two ingredients: aloo – potatoes and anardana – pomegranate… spiced with tangy indian spices.
the original recipe has some chana dal (bengal gram) also added, but i skipped adding these lentils. this salad is tart in taste due to lemon juice. and also has a sweet taste due to the pomegranate arils.
so instead of salad, i feel this recipe can also be called as aloo anardana chaat. it is tart, sweet and tangy except spicy. a few qualities found in a chaat. and the salad tasted so much like chaat
if you love potatoes and pomegranate, then do give this potato pomegranate salad or chaat a try.
you just need basic veggies like onion & tomatoes along with some indian spice powders like chaat masala and cumin powder. this salad can be served warm or cold. they make excellent starters as well. if you like salads then do check veg russian salad and pasta salad.
recipe details of potato pomegranate salad below.
- 2 medium sized potatoes, boiled and diced
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- a few mint leaves for garnish
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 or 2 tbsp sunflower oil or peanut oil
- black salt or pink salt or regular salt as required
- in a bowl add the diced potatoes, onion, tomatoes, pomegranate arils, chopped mint leaves and mix gently.
- mix all the ingredients for dressing.
- check the the seasoning and add more of the spice powders if required.
- mix all the spice powders with the lemon juice and oil.
- pour the dressing in the bowl and mix gently.
- serve the salad warm or chilled.
- garnish with mint leaves while serving.
as a variation, you can parboil the potatoes first and then pan fry or shallow fry till crisp.