Buttery puff pastry topped with tomato sauce, cheese, onions, and capsicum are more than the sum of their parts in these Pizza Puffs. You’ll love them as a deliciously easy appetizer, hors d’oeuvre, or after-school snack. Ready in just 30 minutes, these delightful little bites are totally customizable, giving you endless ability to come up with new and adventurous flavors!
Table of Contents
About These Pizza Puffs
I’m so excited to be sharing this very simple and extraordinarily tasty recipe for pizza Puffs. Delicate puff pastry rounds are topped with pizza sauce, veggies, and melty cheese for a yummy, kid-friendly snack that is much healthier than the pizza rolls you can find in the frozen section of the grocery store.
Less a recipe than a snack idea, this is an endlessly riff-able template that’ll come in handy for parties and celebrations. Feel free to add your choice of toppings, even going so far as to change the sauce to suit your needs.
You can either use store-bought puff pastry sheets or try my Rough Puff Pastry. All in all, you’ll need about 300 grams of puff pastry to make a full batch.
With just 10 minutes of active time needed, you can easily make pizza puff as a quick after-school snack for kids or as a last-minute party snack. Simply cut the pastry, add your favorite toppings, then bake for 20 minutes. It’s truly that easy!
How To Make Pizza Puffs
Prep The Puff Pastry Dough
These pizza puffs are one of the easiest snack recipes around. Here’s how you’ll make them:
1. Before you begin making the pizza puffs, preheat your oven to 250 degrees C/480 degrees F for at least 15 minutes.
If you are using my Rough Puff Pastry recipe, then slice the puff pastry in three equal parts. Take just one part and wrap the remaining two parts in foil or cling film and refrigerate or freeze.
If using store brought puff pastry dough, then follow the instructions on the pack.
2. Sprinkle some flour on the dough. Begin to roll.
3. Roll evenly to get a ¼ to ½ inch thick base.
4. Using a cookie cutter or a lid from a bottle, cut rounds in the rolled puff pasty dough.
Remove the dough from the edges. Roll them and then use it for making another batch of pizza puffs.
Assemble and Bake
5. Gently remove and place each round in a baking tray. Spread pizza sauce on the rounds.
You can either use store-bought or Homemade Pizza Sauce. You can also easily use any other tasty sauce that you prefer!
6. Top the roundels with some onions and chopped capsicum (green bell pepper). You can also add any other veggie your heart desires.
7. Now sprinkle some grated processed cheese or pizza cheese and a sprinkle of dried oregano or mixed herbs on top.
8. Place the tray in the preheated oven.
9. Bake pizza puffs at 250 degrees C/480 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes till the cheese has melted and is golden, and the puff pastry rounds are golden and crisp.
10. Be sure to check the base; it should be golden. Let them cool for a few minutes. If not serving immediately, then place them on a wired rack.
11. Serve Pizza Puffs hot, warm, or at room temperature.
While I love the classic combination of pizza sauce, onions, and capsicum, there are tons of ways to customize these pizza puffs to your liking. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Use a different sauce as your base. Try using Pesto, White Sauce, or even a simple brush of extra virgin olive oil with a sprinkling of salt.
- Add extra veggies or toppings. Black olives, pickled peppers, sautéed mushrooms, roasted squash, or even pineapple and vegan sausage are all welcome!
- Use a different cheese. Try fresh or aged mozzarella, burrata, cheddar, gouda, jack or colby.
- Make them into squares or triangles. Who says pizza has to be round?
If you are serving these as a meal, I’d say one batch will feed 2 to 3 adults. If these will be served as part of an appetizer spread at a party, I’d suggest making about 4 pieces per person.
So long as your microwave has a convection or oven feature, yes! However, it will not work on “microwave” mode.
Since an air fryer is simply a convection oven, yes!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Pizza Puffs (With Puff Pastry Sheets)
- 300 grams puff pastry sheets or Rough Puff Pastry
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum (bell pepper), any color
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ to ⅓ cup grated processed cheese or pizza cheese or add as required
- pizza sauce – as required
- dried oregano or pizza seasoning or mixed herbs, add as required
- Before you begin, making the pizza puffs, preheat your oven to 250 degrees Celsius/480 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 15 minutes.
- If you used the puff pastry recipe, which I have posted on blog, then slice the puff pastry in three equal parts. Take just one part and wrap the remaining two parts in a foil or cling film and refrigerate or freeze.
- If using store brought puff pastry dough, then follow the instructions on the pack.
- Sprinkle some flour on the dough and begin to roll.
- Roll evenly to get a ¼ to ½ inch thick base.
- Using a cookie cutter or a lid from a bottle, cut rounds in the rolled puff pasty dough.
- Remove the dough from the edges. Roll them and then use it for making another batch of pizza puffs.
- Gently remove and place each round in a baking tray.
- Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on the rounds. You can either use store brought or homemade pizza sauce.
- Top the roundels with some chopped onions and chopped capsicum (green bell pepper). You can also add chopped olives, steamed corn, sautéed mushrooms.
- Now sprinkle some grated processed cheese or pizza cheese. Also sprinkle some dried oregano. You can add a mix of dried herbs too.
Baking pizza puff
- Keep the tray in the oven. Bake at 250 degrees Celsius/480 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes till the cheese on top is melted or light golden and the puff pastry rounds have also got golden and crisp.
- Do check the base and it should be golden.
- Let them cool for a few minutes. If not serving immediately, then place them on a wired rack.
- Serve Pizza Puffs hot or warm or at room temperature.
- Your choice of veggies or herbs can be added.
- I have used homemade pizza sauce. Even tomato sauce or tomato passata can be used or you can include your favorite sauce.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Pizza Puffs recipe post from the archives first published in September 2016 has been updated and republished on 7 September 2022.