Mirchi Pakoda Recipe with step by step photos and video. Mirch Pakoras or Mirchi Bhajiya is an easy to make recipe and can be served as a side dish with dal, dahi curry or any vegetable curry.
Its quick, simple and easy. I have made it plain and not stuffed the green chillies with potatoes or paneer stuffing. But you can stuff the green chillies with a stuffing of your choice. You can also have a look at Rajasthani Mirchi Vada Recipe.
In Mumbai, when you purchase Mix veg pakora, you will also get mirch pakoras in it. Most sweet shops sell mix pakoras in Mumbai. Apart from mix veg pakoras, you also get other pakora varieties in Mumbai like:
While writing this post, I remember having mirch pakoras in Goa. We liked it so much, that we used to visit this place every alternate day or so, just to have the Mirchi bhaji.
They served the bhaji with pav and with coconut chutney as an accompaniment. In Maharashtra and Goa, pakoras are known as Bhajji/bhajiya/bajji.
The green chillies that are used are a Larger variety of chillies and they are not spicy as their smaller counterparts. One can use small green chillies also, but they would turn out to be too hot and spicy.
These green chillies have a light green color and are known as bhaji/bhajji/bhajiya chillies. You can also use bhavnagri chilies.
To make it more yummy, You can stuff the chillies with grated paneer or any mashed vegetable filling.
Mirchi Pakoda Recipe Video
How to make Mirchi Bhajiya or Mirch Pakora
1. Take 1 cup gram flour (besan) in a bowl.
2. Add carom seeds (ajwain)
3. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and a pinch of asafoetida
4. Add garam masala powder.
5. Add salt.
6. Pour water.
7. Whisk to a thick batter. Keep aside.
Making Mirchi Bhajiya
8. Rinse the green chilies first. Then take each chili and slit it on one side.
9. Now remove the seeds and pith with a small spoon.
10. Dip the green chili in batter.
11. Coat it very well and also apply some batter inside the green chili.
Frying mirchi pakoda
12. Place the batter coated green chili in medium hot oil.
13. Add green chilies depending on the size of the pan or kadai. When one side is cooked, turn over and fry the other side.
14. Turn over a couple of times more and fry till golden and crisp.
15. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper towels. Same way fry the remaining mirchi pakoras.
16. Sprinkle some chaat masala powder while serving mirchi bhajiya.
17. Serve Mirch Pakora with pav, bread or serve as a side dish. It will also go well with coconut chutney. You can also serve Mumbai cutting chai with it.
Few more pakora recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 6 to 7 medium to large green chillies or mirch
- oil for frying
for mirchi pakoda batter
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 pinch baking soda (optional)
- salt as required
- water as required, to make a thick batter
- Take all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add water in parts so as to form a thick batter.
- Slit the green chili from one side. Take care not to break the chilies. With a small spoon remove the seeds and the pith.
- Dip the chili in the batter. Evenly coat the mirch (chillies) with batter and also apply some batter inside the green chili.
- In a deep frying pan heat oil and deep fry the batter coated green chilies in oil till they turn golden brown and crisp.
- Serve mirchi pakoda with pav, bread or serve as a side dish.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later