lauki wadi recipe with step by step pics. lauki wadi is a tasty punjabi curry recipe made with lauki and punjabi wadiyan. lauki is bottle gourd and also known as opo squash. wadiyan are sun dried lentil dumplings. for the recipe you can use amritsari wadi or homemade wadis. even moong dal wadis can be used. i have used amritsari wadis. i have also shared the method of making punjabi wadis from urad dal and moong dal earlier. here is the recipe – punjabi wadis – sun dried lentil dumplings.
lauki wadi is a comfort food for all of us at home. this is again one of those recipes which i cook often. everyone does not have access to sun dried lentil dumplings. so you can make the curry without the wadis.
the entire lauki wadi curry recipe is made in a pressure cooker. but without a pressure cooker also you can make this sabzi. lauki wadi goes well with rotis and a side salad or raita.
we make it a little on the spicy side as lauki is pretty bland on its own. the wadis add a nice texture to the otherwise plain curry and are delicious to eat as well.
few more lauki recipes for you!
lauki wadi recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped or ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 medium size tomatoes, finely chopped or 1 cup tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped or ground or ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 2.5 cups chopped bottle gourd (lauki or opo squash)
- 1 cup punjabi wadis or amritsari wadi pieces
- 1 cup water for pressure cooking
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- rinse, peel and chop the lauki (bottle gourd).
- heat oil in a pressure cooker. add cumin and let them splutter.
- add onions and sauté till translucent.
- add the ginger and green chilies and sauté for some seconds till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
- then dd the tomatoes and sauté them till the oil starts to leave the masala. tomatoes should become soft, pulpy and mushy.
- in the meantime rinse the wadis in water and keep aside.
- when the tomatoes have become pulpy, add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and red chili powder. sauté for a minute.
- stir and add the chopped lauki (bottle gourd). sauté for a minute.
- add water and salt as per taste.
cooking lauki wadi
- stir and lastly add the wadis.
- pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles or 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame till the lauki is cooked well and becomes mushy.
- if you find the lauki wadi curry to be more liquid then dry it a little by simmering in the cooker without the lid.
- finally add the punjabi garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves.
- stir and serve lauki wadi hot with some phulkas or chapatis.
- please note this same recipe can also be made without the punjabi wadis.
how to make lauki wadi curry recipe
1. first rinse and then finely chop onions, tomatoes, green chilies and ginger.
2. heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 2 litre pressure cooker. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
3. let the cumin seeds splutter in oil.
4. now add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
5. mix and begin to sauté onions on a low to medium flame.
6. sauté till onions turn translucent.
7. when the onions are getting sautéed, take 1 cup wadiyan pieces and rinse them well. if the wadiyan are large then break in medium sized pieces and then rinse. keep aside.
8. add 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped) and ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
9. sauté for some seconds till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
10. now add 1 cup tightly packed tomatoes.
11. mix and begin to sauté the tomatoes on low to medium flame.
12. when the tomatoes are getting sautéed rinse, peel and chop the lauki. you will need 2 cups of lauki. lauki darkens if kept for some time. so its better to chop just before adding.
13. sauté till the tomatoes becomes soft, pulpy and you see oil releasing from the sides.
14. then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chili powder and ½ teaspoon punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala powder.
15. mix very well and sauté for a minute.
16. now add the chopped lauki (bottle gourd).
17. mix and sauté for a minute.
18. add 1 cup water.
19. season with salt as per taste.
20. mix well.
cooking lauki wadi
21. now add the punjabi wadis or amritsari wadis.
22. mix again.
23. pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles or 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame till the lauki is cooked well and becomes mushy.
24. when pressure settles down on its own, open the lid of cooker. this is a slightly thin curry. if you find the lauki wadi curry to be more liquid then dry it a little by simmering in the cooker without the lid. if the curry consistency is right for you, then skip this step.
25. lastly add ½ teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder (or regular garam masala powder) and 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
26. mix again.
27. serve punjabi lauki wadi hot with some phulkas or chapatis.